Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st message i have left on this site, i prey for help!! I live in a city without a LEXUS dealer and Toyota was a joke! he said he has never seen this engine or car before:confused: I own a 2001 LEXUS IS300 with 189000km Miles?? Here is the problem, lets say im sitting at a light, i give it a little push on the gas and release and repeat a few times it starts to grumble and gurgle and almost stall or it does stall. Or if im driving it hard and come to a stop and idle slow it will do the same. My idles is great just sitting though. Im gonna try cleaning my MAF, adjusting my TPS and do a injector cleaner. Any others?? HELP!!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well definitely start with cleaning your MAF, sounds like your Air to Fuel ratio's (AFR's) are off and allowing your car to die. I have also heard of the throttle bodies going bad but it sounds like your car is fine under normal RPM ranges... which brings us back to AFR's and things that would cause them to change.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
204 Posts
gonna need a bit more info regarding your service records like when was the last time you had a tune up, timing belt etc... any check engine lights? if not i would do like you said check MAF, TPS and throw some seafoam through the brake boost vacuum to clean out the injectors...GL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stealth IS, I have always been very good about service, my good friend lived here as an import mechanic then moved!! Timing belt has been changed, all O2's changed but we did have some problems with my O2's after they were changed, my CEL would read bad O2 but they were all good. Spark plugs changed, i cant remember if the wires were changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i cleaned the MAF sensor wich was very clean, i read to disconnect -batt. terminal and reconnect pressing break pedal 10 times to reset ECU.....didnt work. Adjusted TPS to a higher idle and started 10 times to reset ECU....didnt work. Waiting to hook up comuter for any codes.....if any, my CEL is not on.????????????????? seems to get worse if i am on an incline.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Possible that the throttlebody is going bad then... It happened to my brother and his throttle response just went to crap!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe a vacuum leak? Revving it repeatedly when at idle will deplete the vacuum stored in the brake booster as well as the various vacuum valves in the emissions system. With the engine idling, try spraying something like WD40 around the various vacuum connections and devices. If you hear a change in engine RPM at some point, you have found a leak there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Throttle body cleaned, no vaccum leak, MAF new and clean, TPS still in question cause toyotech tech says a lot of times if you have hesitation on take off its your TPS. No codes or CEL, computer says car is healthy but 02's are slow to respond. I changed 2 of them 4 years ago and last year i bypassed them by removing my cat and installing after market headers. It turned off my CEL did the trick i guess but we think that may be the problem now. WTF!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
you mentioned that you had the oxygen sensors changed. first off why, and second, are the exactly the same part number as what was in the same place when removed, and are you sure. just cuz a shop says it is, doesnt mean it is. get your old plugs and cross reference them to see if you have one in the wrong spot. our cars use 4 different oxygen sensors if you look closely at the part numbers. if even one is in the wrong position, it will give a different reading than what the ecm was programmed to understand. i have a feeling this is your issue in a basket. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.