Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
disconnect the battery to reset the ecu.
Oddly enough, all of my lights went off yesterday morning. So that's... good. Didnt even get a chance to d/c the battery yet but hey all is well. But so, since it did make a difference, that means it's not bad, correct? That was the reason I did that.

Alternately OEM is 20-30 bucks on ebay, p/n 22204-22010
So the reason I didnt just straight up replace is was because I was doing what IM QUIKR said to do in order to see if it WAS bad or not. Since it DID make a difference (stalling my car) when I unplugged it, it seems it's not bad, according to the logic present by IM QUIKR, I THINK.

ALSO: I did the throttle response mod. Zip tie around the spring. Feels SO MUCH BETTER and it took 30 seconds. But, the throttle cutout still happens. Some people have said to do the mod to fix this, but to me its obviously not a pedal problem. Still happy I did it though.

Again to reiterate, it's not between gears or anything. If I'm coasting through a parking lot and just apply a tiny bit of throttle, it still does it.

Literally just feels like im tapping the gas twice then holding it, instead of putting my foot down once and holding it.

edit: also I did find a $15 one on eBay that's oem/genuine. https://www.ebay.com/p/22204-22010-Genuine-Mass-Air-Flow-Meter-MAF-Sensor-for-Toyota-Lexus-Scion-1x/2145137566

But I mean, why even purchase it if its not the MAF/if my MAF isn't bad according to the test?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oddly enough, all of my lights went off yesterday morning. So that's... good. Didnt even get a chance to d/c the battery yet but hey all is well. But so, since it did make a difference, that means it's not bad, correct? That was the reason I did that.

So the reason I didnt just straight up replace is was because I was doing what IM QUIKR said to do in order to see if it WAS bad or not. Since it DID make a difference (stalling my car) when I unplugged it, it seems it's not bad, according to the logic present by IM QUIKR, I THINK.

ALSO: I did the throttle response mod. Zip tie around the spring. Feels SO MUCH BETTER and it took 30 seconds. But, the throttle cutout still happens. Some people have said to do the mod to fix this, but to me its obviously not a pedal problem. Still happy I did it though.

Again to reiterate, it's not between gears or anything. If I'm coasting through a parking lot and just apply a tiny bit of throttle, it still does it.

Literally just feels like im tapping the gas twice then holding it, instead of putting my foot down once and holding it.

edit: also I did find a $15 one on eBay that's oem/genuine. https://www.ebay.com/p/22204-22010-Genuine-Mass-Air-Flow-Meter-MAF-Sensor-for-Toyota-Lexus-Scion-1x/2145137566

But I mean, why even purchase it if its not the MAF/if my MAF isn't bad according to the test?
Did you ever fix the issue. I have no engine codes and get a hesitation when giving throttle in drive. I notice for me its worst on a incline going reverse. Feels like a knot in the transmission.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you ever fix the issue. I have no engine codes and get a hesitation when giving throttle in drive. I notice for me its worst on a incline going reverse. Feels like a knot in the transmission.
Is this exactly as how ive been describing mine? Mine is also worse in reverse. Literally feels like the gas is just completely cutting out and coming back in in a split second.

Im about to do a timing belt with all kinds of other stuff, then ill take a look at trying more things to fix it. But it still does it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have you replaced the spark plug wires? I had a similar issue and did 2 things, replaced the spark plug wires and also got new coil pack boots and the springs that go inside. Jerking throttle response and hesitation disappeared and so did my random misfire CEL. Throttle response was off for 6 months before lights started popping up.

If you haven't done wires or if it's been a while. Do them! The small skinny springs in the coil packs lose their performance over time too. They aren't hard to replace, just a bit annoying to make sure it's seated all the way in. Take your time and you'll figure it out without bending or deforming them. My money is on this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Have you replaced the spark plug wires? I had a similar issue and did 2 things, replaced the spark plug wires and also got new coil pack boots and the springs that go inside. Jerking throttle response and hesitation disappeared and so did my random misfire CEL. Throttle response was off for 6 months before lights started popping up.

If you haven't done wires or if it's been a while. Do them! The small skinny springs in the coil packs lose their performance over time too. They aren't hard to replace, just a bit annoying to make sure it's seated all the way in. Take your time and you'll figure it out without bending or deforming them. My money is on this.
I did spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets recently. Didn't help and I dont have any misfire CEL. Only CEL ive ever gotten was for 02/cat and it only comes on every once in a while for two days then goes away.

Cleaning throttle body so ill see if that works.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you are getting a cel for an o2 sensor it could well be that, they will cause bogging and spluttering with incorrect air fuel etc. Even if its intermittent cel i wouldn't rule it out, could be loose or broken wires in the sensor or the connections, heater wires, etc. that touch and then move apart again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My winter beater does what you describe. it only does it when I try to accelerate at a slow rate. If I smash the pedal or go maybe above 50% throttle the issue doesn't seems to appear.
it have been doing it since I bought it 3 years ago.

I always tought it was because the previous owner replaced the O2 sensors with some cheap generics ones and it was messing with the air fuel. I can't remember if I cleaned the TB when I did the timing belt back then.

the issue did went away for a while when I installed a SRT intake with race ecu, but came back 6-12month later

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If you are getting a cel for an o2 sensor it could well be that, they will cause bogging and spluttering with incorrect air fuel etc. Even if its intermittent cel i wouldn't rule it out, could be loose or broken wires in the sensor or the connections, heater wires, etc. that touch and then move apart again.
Would it be so consistent though? Like it has never ever sputtered or bogged other than when im going a low speed or pulling away from a stop sign and (like the other guy said) im trying to apply smooth normal throttle. Has happened for years even when I never did have this CEL.

My winter beater does what you describe. it only does it when I try to accelerate at a slow rate. If I smash the pedal or go maybe above 50% throttle the issue doesn't seems to appear.
it have been doing it since I bought it 3 years ago.

I always tought it was because the previous owner replaced the O2 sensors with some cheap generics ones and it was messing with the air fuel. I can't remember if I cleaned the TB when I did the timing belt back then.

the issue did went away for a while when I installed a SRT intake with race ecu, but came back 6-12month later
Probably same problem. That sucks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Would it be so consistent though? Like it has never ever sputtered or bogged other than when im going a low speed or pulling away from a stop sign and (like the other guy said) im trying to apply smooth normal throttle. Has happened for years even when I never did have this CEL.
Hard to know for sure, but having the cell flash on for it is something worth checking out. When my o2 went on the As200 i had it would always bog and cough at low revs like the mix was too rich, it didn't throw a code till a day or 2 later.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So, finally had the throttle body cleaned. Fixed the issue. It's much smoother now. As long as it doesn't come back, I'm super happy.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts