Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i picked up these 18" lexus rims, off the RX350 i believe, and decided to get some lower profile tires and throw them on. They fit pretty good considering they are meant for an SUV. Tire size i went with 225/40R18.
So what do you guys think, worth keeping, or?

·
1,621 Posts
They actually look quite nice!

Who would have thought!! lol

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
those looks good. are they pretty heavy since they are meant for an SUV?

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
392 Posts
that actually looks pretty sick man

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Looks really good! :cool: For some reason they look MUCH bigger than stock... even tho they're only one inch bigger.

Did you get a special deal on these?

·
Registered
615 Posts
So you went up an inch in rim diameter to 18", a centimeter wider than stock for the tire from 215 to 225, but went down 5 points in aspect ratio from 45 to 40.

I think that makes your overall wheel+tire diamter smaller than stock but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me how that works.?

It is something like;
215*.45*2+17 = 210.5
225*.40*2+18 = 198.0

I know that is wrong, but it is something like that.

The question I have, is how far off stock plus/minus can you go before messing stuff up.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
looks nicer than stock for sure have some +rep

·
Registered
334 Posts
So you went up an inch in rim diameter to 18", a centimeter wider than stock for the tire from 215 to 225, but went down 5 points in aspect ratio from 45 to 40.

I think that makes your overall wheel+tire diamter smaller than stock but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me how that works.?

It is something like;
215*.45*2+17 = 210.5
225*.40*2+18 = 198.0

I know that is wrong, but it is something like that.

The question I have, is how far off stock plus/minus can you go before messing stuff up.
Here's the correct info, thanks to the trusty Miata.net size calculator:

225/40/18 circumference: 78.8 in. Revs per mile: 804
215/45/17 circumference: 77.3 in. Revs per mile: 819

As you can see, the 18s actually have a larger circumference.

With the 18s your speedometer will read 1.9% slower than you are actually traveling. For example, when your speedo reads 60mph, you're actually going 61.1mph.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
18/40/225 is slightly larger than 17/25/215.

Your math was

225*0.4*2 + 18, which I assume was suppose to be a calculation for the diameter? You forgot to covert 18" to metric. :D

Larger wheel, ur going faster than ur speedometer tells u, ur odometer is a big younger than it really is, and ur more likely to have rubbing problem than stock if your car is lowered.

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
597 Posts
looks good, now I wonder how the "premium" RX 18" wheels would look

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, i do like the look myself, just wanted to see what fellow IS ppl thought about them, and maybe if some of you guys were wondering what they would look like, there you go!

Total i paid for rims (new) and tires with install and balance and tax, was around $1100. I know for that price i could of gotten some aftermarket rims but i wanted to keep the stock yet different look to it.

Rims also came with those tire pressure sensors, so i took those out..so if anyone is interested in those, shoot me an offer and they are yours, as i have no use for them.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Damn man they look sweet on there

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
When it comes to tire size calculations... you guys should use this... it's really helpful!

Tire size calculator

225/40/18 and 225/35/18 both look to be good sizes...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$1100 for rims and tires, thats a pretty crazy price, what kind of tires are those?
They are the Kumho ecsta asx tires, heres more info on them:

Kumho ECSTA ASX

Reason i went with these was cause the treadwear was higher than most, and i plan on doing alot of highway/roadtrips this summer, and so far, i like how the ride and grip even in these temps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts