Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Gita is Cibola Gold colour, the car came with a set of Koya rims in shadow chrome with a polished lip. I suspect because of using a container of wheel cleaner spray (Dragons Breath, says it all really) the paint has started to bubble and chip off. I am not that into buying flash rims, but i do quite like the ones that are on it so was thinking to strip the paint and spray them to freshen them up a bit. I will keep the polished lip for now, I was going to go with gloss black but someone mentioned perhaps going white so now im not so sure. Most of the images i have seen on google are grey or silver but i think it looks a little too vanilla with polished lips, so was wondering if any of you had any ideas on what might look good on it?

I am old so not that into the new wild flouro colors some seem to go for, prefer subtle but sharp looking colours.

These photos were a few years ago now when it was still shiny and new (to me)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Cloud

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,124 Posts
someone mentioned perhaps going white so now im not so sure. I am old so not that into the new wild flouro colors some seem to go for, prefer subtle but sharp looking colours.
From one guy who isn't into new wild flouro colors to another, white counts as that IMO. I'd avoid white on your wheels with that color. I like the classic darker grey like you've got on there now. I'm not a fan of the wheels themselves though. They seem to be ... lacking or weak and small somehow on a wagon.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From one guy who isn't into new wild flouro colors to another, white counts as that IMO. I'd avoid white on your wheels with that color. I like the classic darker grey like you've got on there now. I'm not a fan of the wheels themselves though. They seem to be ... lacking or weak and small somehow on a wagon.
How dare you... 🤣 . TBH the photos dont really do it justice, they look pretty thin on all the ones i have but better in real life. However, the design is probably 15 years old now so not the latest style any more. I know what you mean about the white wheels, wasnt my first choice but thought i had better consider it. I think i am liking the gunmetal grey - dark grey at the moment but its similar to what i have.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd go for a gunmetal or high gloss black face and a full polish barrel. Can't tell if the inner barrel is polished and very dirty or black.
Its a strange setup, the polished lip is a separate polished SS pressed/glued on. the rest is the same colour as the rim, hidden under the brake dust and dirt.

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,124 Posts
How dare you... 🤣 . TBH the photos dont really do it justice, they look pretty thin on all the ones i have but better in real life. However, the design is probably 15 years old now so not the latest style any more. I know what you mean about the white wheels, wasnt my first choice but thought i had better consider it. I think i am liking the gunmetal grey - dark grey at the moment but its similar to what i have.
yeah I agree it probably looks better in person than in that last side picture. It's also just my personal preference from what I had on my car, when I had wheels with spokes that didn't reach the tire like those, I went with 19's. But then I wanted 18's, so to get the same size appearance, I went with wheels that had spokes reaching the tires. Since yours is a wagon, the need for a larger wheel is even stronger. But I'm also seeing the spokes themselves, which look rather thin and bare, especially with stock breaks behind it. In other words, it might be a reasonable excuse just to get new wheels lol :sneaky: Dark/gunmetal gray would be my choice, even if it's similar to what you have. I thought you wanted something like what you had, but maybe you just meant the wheel style itself. Perhaps you could pull off all-white wheels because the lights are all chrome... but I would sooner black out the lights than go with white wheels personally.

·
Registered
2002 is300
313 Posts
In terms of what's in style right now, the v 5 spoke that reach the lip seem to be popular. That on a chrome barrel would be really nice. This may be unpopular but I like the rears to have a little more poke. I feel like it gives it a bit more stance. Keep your current wheel size and go a little wider and a taller tire to fill your wheel well would be my choice. I have 225/40/r18 and feel like they arent big enough. They feel tiny on the car in my opinion.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, a gunmetal or polished 18" would look good on there. Trust me when I say don't buy white wheels - you need to clean them so often that it gets annoying after a while....plus the contrast wouldn't look good.

What suspension is on the car?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe i didnt explain properly, i just want to strip and paint the existing rims. It would be nice but I cant justify the expense of buying new rims or trying to explain that to the Mrs lol. 😉

What suspension is on the car?
Its just on lowered Tein springs.
Totally with you on the white and dirt, had a couple of white on white cars and they were always dirty though not as bad as the straight black ones.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Maybe i didnt explain properly, i just want to strip and paint the existing rims. It would be nice but I cant justify the expense of buying new rims or trying to explain that to the Mrs lol. 😉

Its just on lowered Tein springs.
Totally with you on the white and dirt, had a couple of white on white cars and they were always dirty though not as bad as the straight black ones.
IMO, I'd redo them in gunmetal then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts