Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on supraforums, I thought it made the point well...really well.
---------------------------------------------
Jack took a long look at his speedometer before slowing down: 73 in a 55
zone. Fourth time in as many months. How could a guy get caught so often?

When his car had slowed to 10 miles an hour, Jack pulled over, but only
partially. Let the cop worry about the potential traffic hazard. Maybe
some other car will tweak his backside with a mirror.

The cop was stepping out of his car, the big pad in hand.

Bob? Bob from Church? Jack sunk farther into his trench coat. This was
worse than the coming ticket. A Christian cop catching a guy from his own
church. A guy who happened to be a little eager to get home after a long
day at the office. A guy he was about to play golf with tomorrow.

Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw every Sunday, a man he'd
never seen in uniform. "Hi, Bob. Fancy meeting you like this."

"Hello, Jack." No smile.

"Guess you caught me red-handed in a rush to see my wife and kids."

"Yeah, I guess."

Bob seemed uncertain. Good. "I've seen some long days at the office
lately. I'm afraid I bent the rules a bit-just this once." Jack toed at a
pebble on the pavement. "Diane said something about roast beef and
potatoes tonight. Know what I mean?"

"I know what you mean. I also know that you have a reputation in our
precinct."

Ouch. This was not going in the right direction. Time to change tactics.

What'd you clock me at?"

"Seventy. Would you sit back in your car please?"

"Now wait a minute here, Bob. I checked as soon as I saw you. I was barely
nudging 65." The lie seemed to come easier with every ticket.

"Please, Jack, in the car."

Flustered, Jack hunched himself through the still-open door.

Slamming it shut, he stared at the dashboard. He was in no rush to open the
window.

The minutes ticked by. Bob scribbled away on the pad. Why hadn't he asked
for a driver's license? Whatever the reason, it would be a month of
Sundays before Jack ever sat near this cop again.

A tap on the door jerked his head to the left. There was Bob, a folded paper
in hand. Jack rolled down the window a mere two inches, just enough room
for Bob to pass him the slip.

"Thanks." Jack could not quite keep the sneer out of his voice.

Bob returned to his police car without a word. Jack watched his retreat in
the mirror. Jack unfolded the sheet of paper. How much was this one going
to cost? Wait a minute. What was this, some kind of joke? Certainly not a
ticket.

Jack began to read:
"Dear Jack,
Once upon a time I had a daughter. She was six when killed by a car.
You guessed it - a speeding driver. A fine and three months in jail, and
the man was free. Free to hug his daughters. All three of them.

I only had one, and I'm going to have to wait until Heaven before I can
ever hug her again.

A thousand times I've tried to forgive that man. A thousand times I
thought I had. Maybe I did, but I need to do it again.

Even now. Pray for me. And be careful. My son is all I have left.
"Bob"

Jack turned around in time to see Bob's car pull away and head down the
road. Jack watched until it disappeared. A full 15 minutes later, he too,
pulled away and drove slowly home, praying for forgiveness and hugging a
surprised wife and kids when he arrived.

Life is precious. Handle with care. Drive safely and carefully.
Remember, cars are not the only things recalled by their maker.

[This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by kota:
I wonder who writes these things. I think I've seen this one before. Have you read the one with bible and the car?
No, I haven't. U got a copy of it U can post?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A question that maybe u guys on the mainland can answer? Where could this story have possibly taken place? In terms of an area of a city I mean. Over here the only 55 MPH zone is the freeway. It sounds like the story is set in a residential or business area. Or is this story supposed to be on the freeway? The point of the story is still there, but I don't know of many people who go only 55 on the freeway...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have posted several times in this forum that I have two children and it scares me to hear some of the talk in here.

"Had my IS up to 110 and then we let up"

I just pray my wife and the kids don't run into you assholes who drive like that!

It is a bitter subject with me. I am a claims manager and bleieve me I have seen the photos that back up the stories.

If you have seen half the dead kids hanging out of cars that I have, you would make sure you drive safe each and every day.

It hits home when you have two beautiful little girls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got into a really bad traffic accident a couple months ago, my Accord Coupe was totalled and I apparently slammed into 5 cars at 130 km/h. I wasn't speeding, I was in the fast lane on my way back to university. This happened b/c of my medical condition but that's another story...

However, I remember the ONE thing that my dad said to me when he came home from Hong Kong, almost exact same words in that post: Life is fragile. Handle with care. At the time I didn't really listen to him, actually I still didn't until I read that post just now.

I know he's not into the internet and all he uses it for is e-mail. And because I know that, I know he hasn't read that before. What really drives it home, for me, is that my dad was right... I have a really big problem with speeding (can't stop driving 20-30 km/h above the limit) but I think the next time I drive, it'll be safe.

·
Registered
666 Posts
hmmm here's what I've been thinking...the IS300 certainly attracts a lot of attention from riced up cars that keep wanting to race. They keep pulling up along side revving their cars and even cut me off a couple times. My wife (who's 5 months pregnant) drives our IS300 a lot. My concern is that one day they'll try something stupid with her behind the wheels.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The post certainly makes you think twice about speeding. My cousin was killed in a car accident a few years back when he was 20 and my family is still not over it. He was an only child and engaged to be married but because of some foolish driver, his life was taken away. It's amazing how many people have been killed by careless driving yet people still race on streets.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think that's one of the downsides in being this "import" race scene. I am a big enthusiast of the hobby and have my car hooked up.

What is bad are others in the same hobby who road race like hell, going fast as hell in heavy traffic, driving like mad men and weaving in and out of traffic and giving those of us with sense a bad rap.

Man, it makes me look bad everytime they do it b/c people and especially cops will associate my car with what the azzholes rice racers on the streets are doing....I've been pulled over several times because cops thought I was a part of a pack that was racing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It is a statistical fact that there are more traffic deaths at intersections than due to speeding. That doesn't make injury or death due to racing okay but the problem is grossly overexaggerated by the insurance companies and police.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I have a 10 week old daughter and try to not even think about something like that happening.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sudden
Infant
Death
Syndrome

The infant just stops breathing. Recent efforts to get Americans to put babies to sleep on their backs (rather than the older practice of laying them on their stomachs) has DRASTICALLY reduced this cause of infant mortality.

I too have lost a child. My daughter is growing up without her twin sister. It is the hardest thing I have ever faced, and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

But you can not make life risk free. The best you can do is make informed decisions whose downsides you can live with, considering the risks of them happening.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by S38:
It is a statistical fact that there are more traffic deaths at intersections than due to speeding. That doesn't make injury or death due to racing okay but the problem is grossly overexaggerated by the insurance companies and police.
Yeah, I agree, but when you get into an accident at 70, chances are the accident will be MUCH worse. And when u r going faster everything about you has to work faster too. And if u r speeding and a kid runs into the street in front of your car the chances of braking in time are less than if you are going closer to the posted limit. U probably know all this, but it *seems* like you missed the point. Drive safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts