Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give their input as to how their tires worked when they chose different tire sizes than stock? I have a few options that I am evaluating for new tires on a RWD IS250.

OPTION:

1. 225/40/18 on front, 245/45/18 rear (3% larger diameter and 29lb tire vs 26lb stock)

Would rear tires that are 3-4lbs heavier affect the MPG or driving? Also, the sidewall would be about 3/8th of an inch higher using a 45 instead of a 40.

2. 225/40/18 on front, 235/45/18 rear (1% larger diameter and 28lb tire vs 26lb stock tire weight)

3. Also, what if I went 225/40/18 for all tires, rear and front for easy tire rotation. Do you really need the meatier tire in the rear? Or is the 255rear tire mainly for just looks and racing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you really need the meatier tire in the rear? Or is the 255rear tire mainly for just looks and racing?

Anyone know why the difference between the front and rear is so great? Especially on the factory upgrade. 225 vs 255.

Obviously this was by design but wouldn't this thing (08 350) handle better with a bigger tire on the front?

·
Sofa King Awesome
3,603 Posts
With the X-Package, I am running 225 front and 255 rears. Great upgrade, I never slip now, so much rubber to push with :D

You want a larger rear tire because the RWD will have better traction from a start, through corners, and overall handling. If it was AWD, you would put the same size on all 4 corners. RWD performance cars tend to have larger rear tires.

If you are worried about shaving weight, pick up some ultra-light weight 18 inch Volk Rims and throw some rubber on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts