Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so excited to see the new IS. But does the new IS seem small to you? Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in person-- but for those who have how does it compare to a 3-Series or a G35? Is it smaller than the two or between them?

And many articles have printed that the rear seats are more spacious... but how much more. I am slightly under six foot and my friends are about this height. Is the driver seat and rear seats able to fit tall drivers and passengers?

I'v been obsessed with the new IS for months now. But probably will get one (if its comfortable; or if the new g35 is still coming a long way) in 2007 when the buzz is over.

Thanks.. hopefully someone will have know. Peace.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think there is only 0.4" of additional leg room in the back seat. Don't know about the other dimensions. At least it's some improvement, but not much.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am 6'1" and fit fine in the backseat of my previous IS. I have a buddy who is the same height (but much bigger frame) and he fit fine. I have another friend who is 6'4" and he could fit in the back.

If people have passengers in the backseat then the front seat passenger (and possibly the driver but obviously that would be a minor adjustment) can move his seat up.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Although a larger back seat would probably attract more potential buyers, I hope that the rear seat room is only marginally bigger. 3-series size back seats would be fine. TL size leg room would be too much, and would turn me away from the car. I hope the new IS will maintain its compact and nimble characteristics, much like the 3-series, which has historically been smaller than its competitors because the focus was on the driver, not on the back seats. It has always been marketed as a sports sedan, not a family sedan.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ture, but . . .

BobFrapples said:
Although a larger back seat would probably attract more potential buyers, I hope that the rear seat room is only marginally bigger. 3-series size back seats would be fine. TL size leg room would be too much, and would turn me away from the car. I hope the new IS will maintain its compact and nimble characteristics, much like the 3-series, which has historically been smaller than its competitors because the focus was on the driver, not on the back seats. It has always been marketed as a sports sedan, not a family sedan.
The New IS is an overall LONGER car than the new 3 series, and still has about 3 inches less rear legroom. The wheelbase is slightly longer on the new 3, which helps rear seat size. Frankly, it's just inefficient design that has kept the rear seat size to a minimum in the new IS. Part of this could be explained by front seats that have very deep seat backs or because they tried to make the trunk deeper and hence had to sacrifice some rear seat room in exchange. Either way, I just hope that the seats are useful. I'm not looking for TL or G35 size either (the TL is actually extremely efficient in maximizing interior space, the G35 has a wheelbase almost 6 inches longer than the IS, so that explains why those cars are just so much roomier inside), but new 3 series size would have been wonderful. I have a feeling that the new IS will be more comparable to the old E46 3 series in actual rear leg room, which is acceptable to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You must mean that you fit with a midget driving up front

Rob L said:
I am 6'1" and fit fine in the backseat of my previous IS. I have a buddy who is the same height (but much bigger frame) and he fit fine. I have another friend who is 6'4" and he could fit in the back.

If people have passengers in the backseat then the front seat passenger (and possibly the driver but obviously that would be a minor adjustment) can move his seat up.
Or both of you have EXTREMELY short legs ;)

I'm 6'2" and if I adjust the driver's seat to the correct driving position (and I drive very correct, not laid back ghetto style), I can just barely get into the drivers side back seat. Once I'm in, my knees are basically in my chest or jammed rather uncomfortably between the door and the front seat. NOT a pleasant place to be the back seat of an IS300.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
There is more leg room in the new IS than the old, but not much. Looks like the extra length went to the trunk and the front seating area.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Here's a 1st-gen vs 2nd-gen comparo of interior dimensions:

HEADROOM - FRONT (WITHOUT Moonroof)
1st-gen: 39.1"
2nd-gen: 39"

HEADROOM - FRONT (WITH Moonroof)
1st-gen: 37.8"
2nd-gen: 37.2"

HEADROOM - REAR (WITHOUT Moonroof)
1st-gen: 37.7"
2nd-gen: 36.9"

HEADROOM - REAR (WITH Moonroof)
1st-gen: 37.3"
2nd-gen: 36.7"

LEGROOM - FRONT
1st-gen: 42.7"
2nd-gen: 43.9"

LEGROOM - REAR
1st-gen: 30.2"
2nd-gen: 30.6"

SHOULDER ROOM - FRONT
1st-gen: 52.6"
2nd-gen: 54.4"

SHOULDER ROOM - REAR
1st-gen: 53.5"
2nd-gen: 52.7"

HIP ROOM - FRONT
1st-gen: 52.8"
2nd-gen: 54.1"

HIP ROOM - REAR
1st-gen: 53.9"
2nd-gen: 53.7"

EPA PASSENGER VOLUME
1st-gen: 89.2 cubic feet (presumably WITHOUT sunroof)
2nd-gen: 88.3 cubic feet (WITHOUT sunroof)
2nd-gen: 85.7 cubic feet (WITH sunroof)

EPA TRUNK VOLUME
1st-gen: 10.1 cubic feet
2nd-gen: 13 cubic feet

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I like the interior size of the New IS. I usually ride further back than most but I found plenty of room in the backseat with my normal driving position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts