Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the PLP intake and am pondering an exhaust. I would like to keep it quiet so I'm thinking L-Tuned? Anyone with this setup have any comments on it, or have second thoughts, if you had the same choice would you do it again or go with another setup? As an added bonus question :lol: any of you with the XERD racepipe in that setup, what kind of noise increase is there with that?

·
Registered
898 Posts
if you really want to keep your car quiet, I suggest you don't touch the exhaust or intake. Even though those two products are claimed to be the quietest mods by members, you will notice noise. I have the plp and l-tuned, after installing those mods, I noticed the noise...... not the same as stock. :shame:

·
Registered
126 Posts
True.

I also have the PLP intake and the LTuned exhaust. My goal at the time was to get a little more HP while keeping the sound level down. The LTuned is the only thing you can really hear - the intake is "silent".

I wanted my car to still "be a Lexus" when I drove my folks or attorney co-workers around, and the combination keeps it that way (barely). A little mean yet still sophisticated.

I like the LTuned sound (especially at 3-4k RPMs). You will definitely hear it inside the car. It's not loud, but it does have a slight amount of drone. In fact, if the radio is on you will barely notice it. If the radio is off, it's all you'll hear.

·
Not Officially Back
12,292 Posts
I started with the PLP silentflow intake... heard no sound difference.

Then I added Ltuned exhaust... sounded great... hardly any drone, great sound when you got on it but not too loud. Most important thing for me was to keep the tone deep... didn't want any weedwhackers under the car.

Then I added an open element intake... made the exhaust note even lower... I think that was the best setup... sounded awesome... moderately loud when I wanted it to be but 90% quiet as stock then rest of the time.

Then I added a XERD racepipe... HOLY SHIT. That sucker is loud... almost too loud for my taste. That was open element intake, xerd pipe, and ltuned exhaust. ound is deep enough to bear but damn... sometimes I feel bad driving through a neighborhood because its loud, even when you're just cruising. Anytime you put loud on the engine it makes all sorts of noise.

Just for kicks, I switched back to the stock intake setup, then added the PLP SFI again. Both those setups (with racepipe and ltuned) were too high pitched for my taste... I thought I sounded like a honda so I went right back to the open element intake... which deepened the tone and made life better.

I might have a XERD pipe for sale soon. :wink:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've got that exact setup, and it does not sound like stock. Granted it is quieter than a lot of other exhausts, but don't expect the kitten like purr that you had when leaving the dealership for the first time. BTW adding the Xerd pipe killed what little drone the Ltuned exhaust had, but there is definitely a louder growl when you get on the go pedal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will go with the L-tuned exhaust, I wouldn't mind a little sound when you go open throttle and get on it, but I don't really want a loud noise when going low rpm's at 25 mph so I wake the nieghbors... :lol: I'll probably hold off the XERD pipe I just saw that they dropped the price so I was pondering it. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.