Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very positive comments and they, like everyone else that reviews is, hope it makes production too.

$5 says it makes limited production in Japan and is super expensive. It doesn't sell well and then they never bring it here, where it would sell like crazy at the right price. :pissed:

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
High displacement engines are more targeted towards US markets. It would make more sence to produce it for the US.

At any rate, that is unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well the GS was only a 3.0L I6 its first year, then the second year they came out with the GS400 and it was a big hit. Maybe the IS will follow in the same footsteps?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
IS JOE said:
Well the GS was only 300 its first year, then the second year they came out with the GS400 and it was a big hit. Maybe the IS will follow in the same footsteps?
that would be nice but i would like to see the sticker price if so...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd compare it to the GS300 and 430 prices....
GS300 $39,350
GS430 $48,450

IS300 $29,000
IS430 $40,000 - 45,000 ??

but of course, now I am just speculating and dreaming....

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
IS JOE said:
If I had to guess, I'd compare it to the GS300 and 430 prices....
GS300 $39,350
GS430 $48,450

IS300 $29,000
IS430 $40,000 - 45,000 ??

but of course, now I am just speculating and dreaming....
yeah there was talk that it was more like $50k which would be insane...an Ltuned stage II was $41k so $40k would be awesome but i doubt it

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
the ltuned was that much??? whoa didnt know that

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no reason for it to jump up to $50k except greed.

If a $39k car goes to $48k for the jump from 6cyl to 8cyl, logic dictates a $29k car would go to $38k, since it is the same thing - a change of drivetrain while maintaining the same chasis and interior amenities. I could see it hitting $39.9k since also a new suspension etc.

I would consider it worth the price if it indeed had the same items as listed in the one reviewed such as the supra LSD and 6speed Getrag, etc.

If they removed some of the ICE features to meet that pricepoint I could live with that.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
IS JOE said:
Well the GS was only a 3.0L I6 its first year, then the second year they came out with the GS400 and it was a big hit. Maybe the IS will follow in the same footsteps?
Are you talking about the original GS's (circa 1993) having a V-8 model in Japan ? The V-8 was never exported to the U.S. because it would have cost more than the LS and become the de facto flagship. :crazy: The second generation GS has had the V-8 availible since the first year it was sold, or 1998 in this country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
we can only dream

If it does come here it will probably be cheaper than an m3 you can almost bet on that. I'd by 40 for it! Of course I'd have to sell my firstborn kid for it, but oh well!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I didn't know it was available with the V8 in japan... I just remember from reading car mags that the GS wasn't a very popular car until the second gen came out with the V8 in the US

CRB said:
IS JOE said:
Are you talking about the original GS's (circa 1993) having a V-8 model in Japan ? The V-8 was never exported to the U.S. because it would have cost more than the LS and become the de facto flagship. :crazy: The second generation GS has had the V-8 availible since the first year it was sold, or 1998 in this country.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
yeah there was talk that it was more like $50k which would be insane...an Ltuned stage II was $41k so $40k would be awesome but i doubt it
Was the $50k the price from RMM or TTE? if so than maybe it will be cheaper if mass produced by toyota. I would guess that they would also target M3's and S4's but undercut those by a few thousand.

Its fun to speculate tho.... I remember back in 98-99 I'd come to this site and people where talking about whether the IS was going to have the 2jz or the camry v6... :D

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
the tte/tmg quote was actually 100+ to replicate because it was a total 1 off type of thing.. (or multiple off.. as they made more than 1.. lol). The reality is that pricing is pure speculation and a bit optimistic. Although I wish it would of come out by now, as I would of bought it. Unfortunately I have far more than 40k in my car.... , but I also have far more power. ;)

If it did come out w/ a v160 it would be more than 40k. I hope they do it though. :D

IS JOE said:
ltunedgirl said:
Was the $50k the price from RMM or TTE? if so than maybe it will be cheaper if mass produced by toyota. I would guess that they would also target M3's and S4's but undercut those by a few thousand.

Its fun to speculate tho.... I remember back in 98-99 I'd come to this site and people where talking about whether the IS was going to have the 2jz or the camry v6... :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's a V160? </newb>

If they put the current -430 V8 in it, Getrag 6speed and rear diff from the Supra, and most of the other performance oriented upgrades from the RMM IS430, it shouldn't break $39,999. The only thing I could see that would push it past that number is the silly paintjob and some of the over-the-top ICE (In Car Entertainment), neither of which most buyers would want anyway (most would either be happy with a quality factory setup or would rather do their own customized system).

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
^^^^^^^^^Before you get flamed by someone boss, the V-160 is the Getrag your talking about. :chill:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts