Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took a trip to Irvine Volkswagen today to look at a Beetle for my girlfriend and decided to sit in a Passat to see what they were like inside.

I noticed that the odometer read *5000* miles on it, and had to take a second look. They were selling the thing as 'NEW' with a 1000 dollar markdown, but apparently the lot managers are allowed to drive demo cars around and state law allows them to sell anything with 5000 miles or less on the clock as 'NEW' still.

New my ass! I'll never buy a Volkswagen from that dealer, just on principle.

·
15,322 Posts
yeah but 500 demo miles equals 5000 regular miles
you ever seen how hard demos are driven? and nonstop...these demo cars are used as the name implies, to demonstrate the capabilities of the car, the brakes are probably near time for replacement, the tire treads are probably dead but the dealer will replace them for appearances, the thing you cant see, the wear on the engine, as these demos aren't broken in and driven liek hell since day one, so the demo engine will die sooner, need more service and will be more expensive to maintain, so is saving 500-1000 now worth 1000s for repairs in a few years?
and that is why i got my car as soon as it arrived even though i wasnt feeling so good, rather than risk leaving the car there for someone to test dirve....oh yeah, the first shipment is the worst since all of the first cars at the other dealer were taken on test drives

[This message has been edited by DonCorleone (edited July 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
umm, the car's standard. The guys selling it for 30 Gz, when it costs $30,500 b4 tax and stuff. It doesnt have leather, and it has 500 miles on it. wut a bastard

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by iNtAkE808:
umm, the car's standard. The guys selling it for 30 Gz, when it costs $30,500 b4 tax and stuff. It doesnt have leather, and it has 500 miles on it. wut a bastard
He lists the MSRP at $34,600.00 so it can't be standard right? Assuming he's not lying.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That dealer cannot sell a car in CA with 5000 miles on it as new whether it has been titled or not. Turn his or her's ass in.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Although it doesn't say leather seats, the power seats option only comes in the luxury or leather package, so by deduction it has leather. The picture too tells you it has leather since the fabric interior only comes in black, regardless of exterior color.

You may also notice that this guy isn't a Lexus dealer, (and according to the website, they only have one) so anyone who test drove it would be the one buying it, and therefore may not have floored it or peeled out at every opportunity, but rather drive conservatively since it may be their future car.

Taking a brief look at their inventory page will also clue you into the fact that these guys deal with exotic cars, and people at exotic car dealerships don't hand the keys to any Joe Blow with a license if you know what I mean.

So overall, if he set his reserve at below 34k, then it would be a pretty good deal for someone who has to currently wait for IS's to trickle through from their local dealership.

P.S. I don't think he's lying about any of the options, since he has a feedback of 8, and guessing that all he's sold is cars, that's a pretty good track record.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - shadoh6 - you got it - Ivory interior means that it has leather. I wonder if the seller just bought that car at MSRP and then hopes to turn a profit by getting someone to pay over MSRP on eBay... So far no one has offered above his $30K asking price, so it is hovering around invoice price (quite a deal) for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Who the hell buys a $30k car over ebay? BTW, once you figure tax, title and license fees it would be hard for him to turn a profit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ME:
Who the hell buys a $30k car over ebay? BTW, once you figure tax, title and license fees it would be hard for him to turn a profit.
Are you kidding? A hell of a lot of people. I sold a $24K car on there myself and it not unusual to see a 360 Modena, numerous Vipers, Vettes, and Porsches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Call me old fashioned but I like to see a car before I obligate myself to spend that much money. Especially a used car. Oh well, I think ebay sucks anyways. Too many boneheads willing to bid too high...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
ME
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing