Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Finish First has been on many topics but I gotta chime in with my experience. I put on over the weekend and the paint on our IS never felt so slick. It's almost like there's a thin film of oil on it but it's totally dry! I did my wife's 94 Pathfinder as well and it's just beautiful. One thing that I highly recommend to enhance what Finish First can do is to get some Mother's Clay Bar and use it before Finish First. It makes all the difference in the world as far as how smooth the paint feels. Our Pathfinder actually feels smoother than the IS because I didn't clay the IS (dammit)except for the rear bumper. And, if you don't think your IS needs to be clayed yet because it's so new, think again. I noticed that the top of the rear bumper was unusually gritty even after washing. The clay just took all that away and left it pristine. I'm doing my dad's Cadillac next week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
so what all do you use, I have noticed the gritiness on my bumper as well, so my question to you is what all do I use to get ride of it?

------------------
Proud owner of a SOLAR IS 300, 2001
2000 yellow Ducati
Miami,FL

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can go to your local auto store (Pep boys, Kragen, etc.) and get it there. It comes with a bar of clay (good for about 3 cars), a spray bottle of lubricant which is just a bottle of Mother's Detailer, and some other stuff that wasn't necessary to use. Cost is around $17.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Solar420:
so what all do you use, I have noticed the gritiness on my bumper as well, so my question to you is what all do I use to get ride of it?

Just rub the clay bar on it as per the directions on the box it'll be like new. Only took me a couple of minutes to do the bumper area. Probably wouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes to do the entire car. After, just put Finish First.

[This message has been edited by gmej (edited January 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
so all I need is the mothers clay bar, and Finish first..... cool thankx

------------------
Proud owner of a SOLAR IS 300, 2001
2000 yellow Ducati
Miami,FL

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by PMD911:
What do u exactly use to put on the Mother Clay and Finish First?
The clay is just in the form of a bar and you just rub it over your paint until you don't feel any kind of grit. The Finish First I just applied with cheesecloth. I also used cheesecloth to wipe it off and then followed up with a soft cloth (my sons old diaper) to buff and get any dust residue off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm new to the discussions on Finish First so please forgive... Okay, so Finish First is a wax product? Do I apply it just as I would with any other wax product? And in addition to the clay bar, do I have to do anything in between applying the clay bar and applying the Finish First? In other words, I wash, dry, clay bar, x, Finish First. What's the x? Is it wipe off the clay bar stuff? Or do I leave it on as I apply Finish First?

------------------
-Damack

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
what the clay bar does is basically just picks up dirt from the surface of the paint. you COULD use the pre-cleaner on the car but most of the time you can just go straight to applying a coat of FF

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by mrclam:
what the clay bar does is basically just picks up dirt from the surface of the paint. you COULD use the pre-cleaner on the car but most of the time you can just go straight to applying a coat of FF
The clay bar really does a good job at getting rid of that gritty feel that you feel even after you wash the car. My wifes pathfinder, for example, wasn't really well taken care of and had a really rough feel to it. Once I used the clay, it felt brand new. The FF pre-cleaner really doesn't do that. As a matter of fact, the pre-cleaner didn't do much of anything visibly or in terms of feel. I don't think I'll use the pre-cleaner again.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Damack:
I'm new to the discussions on Finish First so please forgive... Okay, so Finish First is a wax product? Do I apply it just as I would with any other wax product? And in addition to the clay bar, do I have to do anything in between applying the clay bar and applying the Finish First? In other words, I wash, dry, clay bar, x, Finish First. What's the x? Is it wipe off the clay bar stuff? Or do I leave it on as I apply Finish First?

Finish First is a polymer that bonds with the paint. The steps go like this:
1.wash
2.dry
3.rub car down with the clay bar after spraying on the lubricant (you also have to wipe off the lubricant so the paint surface will be dry).
4.apply Finish First per the directions.
It's as easy as that!!

[This message has been edited by gmej (edited January 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
BTW,

Clay barring a car is not fun nor easy. Its A LOT of work. If you can find someone to do this task professionaly for cheap, I'd let them do it, otherwise be prepared to spend all day detailing your car. On a car as new as you guys ISs I wouldn't worry about clay bar. The paint should be good enough that you can just use a good paint cleaner such as Meguires Fine-Cut cleaner. Follow the directions to the T and make sure its clear coat safe. I think as new as your cars are, clay bar is overkill on areas except maybe the rocker panels and the hood/bumper. Just my .02

------------------
Zerin Dube
'00 Imola Yellow S4
http://www.imolaS4.com
APR Stage I EMCS Chip
Bailey Dump Valves
UUC Short Shifter

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree completely, there is no way I would use a clay bar on my new IS, that type of product is used on vehicles that need some dead material to be removed. I'm sure you guys are all correct when you say it looks and feels good after the application, but let me tell ya, each time you use that stuff you take a year of the paint.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by zerinS4:
BTW,

Clay barring a car is not fun nor easy. Its A LOT of work. If you can find someone to do this task professionaly for cheap, I'd let them do it, otherwise be prepared to spend all day detailing your car. On a car as new as you guys ISs I wouldn't worry about clay bar. The paint should be good enough that you can just use a good paint cleaner such as Meguires Fine-Cut cleaner. Follow the directions to the T and make sure its clear coat safe. I think as new as your cars are, clay bar is overkill on areas except maybe the rocker panels and the hood/bumper. Just my .02

No, it's not fun, but it isn't that difficult, and no way would I pay someone do what I can do for just $17.00. It's not like you have to apply too much pressure to get great results. Actually, if you apply too much pressure while wiping the clay on the paint, the clay bar will tend to stick. Furthermore, it didn't take me all day for detailing. It took me about 1.5 hours to do an entire SUV (Pathfinder). And, yes, the rocker panels, bumpers, and hood are the areas that I would target for the IS.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
each time you use that stuff you take a year of the paint.[/B]
Really? How so? It doesn't rub any paint off like a rubbing compound. Or does it and it doesn't show on the clay? What is the clay taking away from the paint that is going to decrease the life of the paint by an entire year? I figured I'd rather clay the paint than leave it and have it feel gritty and rough.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i haven't noticed the effect of the pre-cleaner either. on the m3 for me to claybar the trunk, hood, and roof it took me about an hour and i'm guessing another hour or two for the rest of the car. its not an easy task. in fact i hate it but i ahve to admit it does get rid of a lot of junk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts