Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide whether to trade my present day IS for the new manual with nav. and full leather. It's tempting. Comments? Opinions?

First, Check out my first IS 300 which was wrecked (thank god for insurance!)... it was an eight car pile-up... I was the last.... The car was totalled and now I'm driving an auburn sky pearl is with 12% tint all around and gold package... very sharp looking.

·
11,062 Posts
OK, I've gotta rib you for this one...

You call going to a manual "trading up"? Let me see...you have a car that does all the work for you and you want to get one that makes you work. How are you going to juggle the coffee and the cell phone when you're shifting? Sounds like trading down to me... Wanna hand crank for a starter too?

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleSheila ]

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm contemplating the same thing... To trade or not to trade (or sell for that matter) I suppose that if my company sends me overseas for a year, I'll sell and buy the '03

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I love manual cars, except it just not practical for my daily driver.. cellphone, coffee dilemma as well
I am very satisfied with my Auto with escaine I dont really care for leather seats, they crack and get hot too fast and burn my butt

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Autos in general hold their value longer especially lexus models. They also have a greater resale value as well

·
Registered
301 Posts
You are gonna get screwed in your trade-in if you "trade-up" to the manual IS300.

Right now the 2001's sell for close to invoice. I'm sure that the 2002's will sell at MSRP for a while... That's probably a $4-5K difference. (Not to mention that 2001's area in very low demand since the 2002's come with more standard options)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by SeattleSheila:

You call going to a manual "trading up"? Let me see...you have a car that does all the work for you and you want to get one that makes you work. How are you going to juggle the coffee and the cell phone when you're shifting? Sounds like trading down to me... Wanna hand crank for a starter too?

You can't be serious?
Shifting becomes second nature, and though he would not be able to sip coffee and use the cell phone at the same time (quel dommage), he sure could whip past you in a race. Let's not epitomize the stereotype that American's are lazy to this extent... pleaasseee.

·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by IStheBest:
You can't be serious?
Shifting becomes second nature, and though he would not be able to sip coffee and use the cell phone at the same time (quel dommage), he sure could whip past you in a race. Let's not epitomize the stereotype that American's are lazy to this extent... pleaasseee.
Aw, shucks. Can't I have a LITTLE fun?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Originally posted by SeattleSheila:

Of course this reply came from a seattle-ite. Sheesh, I'm really getting sick of these damn people up here who are always on their cell phones or drinking those damn lattes. What a bunch of yuppies. And besides that, people should not be on the phone if they can't drive at the same time.
I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit or am stuck behind another car that has a green light, but doesn't realize it because they are chatting away. Seattle drivers suck!

PS. No offense Sheila

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: DOHCVTEC ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey Im from a seattle suburb, and I agree

IMO.. auto's SUCK in sporty cars.. of course theres rare exceptions.... but rare is the operative word there

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can't be serious?
I agree. People always complain how bad 5spd is in traffic. Yeah, for the first couple months, but like riding a bike, it become second nature. I love manuals, and when I sit in traffic, I don't reall think about having an automatic. Not that big a deal to me, unless you're a super wuss and shifting gears is tiring to you.

That was what my biggest gripe was about. The fact the Lexus comes out with supposed "performance sedan" and not even offer a manual (only from consumer demand did they realized a manual was necessary).

so I really don't consider a manual trading down. Being able to acclearate faster than an automatic IS is not exactly a downgrade

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
You can't be serious?
Uhm, it's "Puuhhh-lease!" And this time it applies to you. Shifting does become 22nd nature, I agree. When eating talking etc, I could always depend on the left hand in a pinch for cross-lap shifting. It's not that it is hard, but it's really unsafe, as you have 2 hands, and 3 things to do, and you can't steer w/ your knees because they should be clutch/gas/brake-ing.

And for your race comment, I can whip a manual civic any day of the week, that is, If I was really worried about getting "spanked" at every stoplight i roll up too. That's gotta be some serious stress watching your mirrors all day, assuming EVERYONE want to race you.

Finally, as I step off my soap box, Americans as a culture are not lazy, no more than the French or the Mexicans, or any other stereotype you'd like to whip up.

Thank you all for listening, and Vote s0yb0mb in 2002, becuase chicks dig the shaggin' waggon.

·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by DOHCVTEC:
Sheesh, I'm really getting sick of these damn people up here who are always on their cell phones or drinking those damn lattes. ...people should not be on the phone if they can't drive at the same time.
PS. No offense Sheila

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: DOHCVTEC ]
Seattle drivers don't suck; it's those people who moved in from elsewhere during the past 20 years...and there are a LOT of them. Used to be it was civilized here; for example, gone are the days when people knew what the turn signals were for and when and how to use them. Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree with you about driving and trying to talk on the phone. It's dangerous. I don't own a cell phone and there has NEVER been any food or drink in my car. Don't need an armrest either; I keep both hands on the wheel.

P.S. I used to drive a five speed in England, so I do have experience with them...Left handed of course.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleSheila ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
SeattleSheila
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing