Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after owning my is350 for 3 years now im getting bored of it, i still love the looks and interior as much as when i first got it but the lack of performance mods have made it boring. Im looking at picking up a 08-09 bmw 335i coupe as i dont feel i need 4drs anymore and these cars make great power with modifications (twin turbo 6cyl), the idrive navigation is pretty nice as well and we all know how much our lexus nav's suck, my question is has anybody driven one or owned one? what about bmw's reliability? is it better now and was that only a thing of the past to worry about? Im going to miss my cluster on the is350 as the bmw's is pretty boring to look at. Think this car would be a good candidate to replace my is350?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've driven the 335i and ix a few times and I have a few thoughts...

1. Although the technology in the IS's Nav is not up to snuff with aftermarket systems, it is much more user friendly than the bimmer i-drive, which is a mess, IMHO.

2. The 335 drives more like a track car than the IS. So, there is a trade off. Less smooth, but handles better. Again, as a 37 year old, the smooth quiet drive of the IS appealed to me more than the "track-like feel" of the bimmer.

3. Interior - the 335 is very utilitarian. Dollar for dollar there is NO comparison on luxury.

4. Reliability - In general terms, I think we all know that nothing beats a Lex, but you never know what you'll get. My first IS350 was returned as a Lemon, so there are no guarantees. I've read on some other online forums that people have overheating turbo issues with the bimmer, but I've only test driven them, so can't speak to this issue.

5. At the end of the day, buying a car is like the girl you choose to date. Some like them thin, some chunky, some blonde, some brunette. Some like them aggressive and others like them passive. It is near impossible to tell someone else what is "right" for them. It is WAY too subjective.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
you wont be disappointed with anything when you hit the pedal getting on the highway. i cant comment on the is350 only drive one once during test drive. the backseats in the 250/350 are not that roomie, so you should have enough space in the e92. and the trunk is big and seats fold down. mine is non- idrive so i cant comment on that but you will get used to it quick.

i think Razal might be referring to is heatsoak of the IC not the turbos heat. If you live in really hot climate it could be an issue but for most it should be fine, or just upgrade the IC plenty to choose from now.

Th only major known issue is the failing of fuel pumps, tuned or not tuned. dealer should replace for free if it were an issue. something to maybe ask when looking to be a used one.

wont dive into much because i am sure you are already lurking on e90post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just traded my 325ci for an IS 350. The IS definitely has a less sporty feel than the BMW. However, my BMW was in the shop CONSTANTLY. I traded in an Acura for the BMW and was extremely disappointed in the reliability and durability of the Beemer. Simple things like the interior window trim fell down and had to be glued back up, door lock actuators broke, fuel pump, lower front control arms (twice), etc. I think you will love the feeling of driving a Lexus, but if you plan to own it for more than a few years you will be haunted by the reliability. I'm done w/ the Germans, too much of a hassle. Also, the 335 engine has had major fuel pump problems. My boss has one and it is a blast to drive, but he only keeps them for 2 years so reliability isn't an issue w/ him.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I am in a similar boat...having had my IS350 since '05. I was thinking of picking up an used M3.

Not sure really...torn between the IS-F and the M3.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
With proper tires, the IS350 can be made to feel more sporty without sacrificing ride quality. I had mine for 3 years/49,000 miles and was still having fun when I traded it in.

Every time I think of getting a bimmer, I take a ride in a colleague's 330i and it reminds me how harsh the ride it - a no-no for my bad back.

Still thinking of buying the new Z4, mostly as a substitute for hair plugs although the reliability may convince me to get an IS350C...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own both. IS350 is my Daily driver (complete stock). If i want to go for a spin or on the weekend, i take my fully moded stage3 335i MT. They both are great car, and you can't go wrong with either. I like quiet and smooth feeling on the IS and enjoy every moment when i drive it. As for 335i, you are gonna addicted to its power especially if you are fully moded (JB3, catless dp, exhaust, intake, FMIC, Meth Injection..etc), and the handling is great. I'd say go for it OP ! you gonna love it and BMW provides 4 yrs/50000miles warranty at no cost.

·
Registered
785 Posts
you gonna love it and BMW provides 4 yrs/50000miles warranty at no cost.
They build the maintenance costs into the price of the car and if you work out what maintenance you actually "normally" need in the first 4 years, the bimmer maintenance plan is no bargain.

IMO, it's quite a great marketting idea BMW came up with.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
They build the maintenance costs into the price of the car and if you work out what maintenance you actually "normally" need in the first 4 years, the bimmer maintenance plan is no bargain.

IMO, it's quite a great marketting idea BMW came up with.
Yup...

On the IS350 in 4yr/50k miles you will need (by the book):

10 oil changes ($450 at dealer price of $50 per plus first for free)
1 brake fluid change ($150 dealer price)
3 sets of air/cabin filter changes (maybe 150-200 bucks doing yourself).

That's $750-800 in required scheduled maintenance.

Versus paying $7000-10000 more for a similarly equipped 335i with "free" service.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Yup...

Versus paying $7000-10000 more for a similarly equipped 335i with "free" service.
To be fair, the IS350 will also need a front brake job in that time frame. About $360, while in the BMW that's included.
Doesn't change the equation though, the IS is still a relative bargain.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Well, might need a front brake job. There's 350 owners who've gone past 50k miles on the original rotors (and pads)... just depends on the type of driving and how hard you are on the brakes... but yeah even if you included that the BMWs "free" maintenance still costs ya a ton more.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well, might need a front brake job. There's 350 owners who've gone past 50k miles on the original rotors (and pads)... just depends on the type of driving and how hard you are on the brakes... but yeah even if you included that the BMWs "free" maintenance still costs ya a ton more.
And... if you play your cards right, it won't put off a complete "brake job" but if you took your car up to about 20k miles and then requested the "new pads" which is a TSIB, you might even get well past the 50k mark without a brake job. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yup...

where did you get those number form? based on?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
where did you get those number form? based on?
Based on what each car costs.

Invoice on a stripped car is already $3500 more for BMW... and that's with a lot less standard features... BMW needs to add the comfort access package, the ipod/usb package, and the premium package to even be comparable to a BASE IS350. That already puts you spending nearly $8000 more on the BMW.

Oh, wait, I forgot to add the automatic and the sport steering wheel with paddle shifters... that's another ~$1400...

So $42,850 INVOICE for the BMW... the Lexus is $33,833. About $9000 more for the BMW.

It gets worse if you want climate seats... about $500 for just heated on the BMW... $236 for heated and vented on the lexus... (and woodgrain too, which BMW wants more for).

Honestly. price wise the IS-F is a lot better comparison... option a 335i similarly to a base IS-F and your price is closer than a 335i and a 350.

And the IS-F'll hand the BMW it's rear in any sort of race unless you start modding the BMW.

·
Registered
785 Posts
When I was shopping for my car, a similarly equipped 335i was about 9k more than my IS350 (out the door price).

As Knightshade points out, the MSRP on the bimmer would have brought it about 12-14k more than my IS but that were willing to haggle on price, much more than Lexus, which usually only means one of two things, a) greater markup and; b) greater necessity to offer "deals" to move cars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just traded my 325ci for an IS 350. The IS definitely has a less sporty feel than the BMW. However, my BMW was in the shop CONSTANTLY. I traded in an Acura for the BMW and was extremely disappointed in the reliability and durability of the Beemer. Simple things like the interior window trim fell down and had to be glued back up, door lock actuators broke, fuel pump, lower front control arms (twice), etc. I think you will love the feeling of driving a Lexus, but if you plan to own it for more than a few years you will be haunted by the reliability. I'm done w/ the Germans, too much of a hassle. Also, the 335 engine has had major fuel pump problems. My boss has one and it is a blast to drive, but he only keeps them for 2 years so reliability isn't an issue w/ him.
This is the story I always hear w/ BMW owners. It's what makes me scared to go German because I Do a ton of mileage a year (20k+) and like to keep my cars forever.

Reactions: cneeley

·
Registered
556 Posts
i think Razal might be referring to is heatsoak of the IC not the turbos heat. If you live in really hot climate it could be an issue but for most it should be fine, or just upgrade the IC plenty to choose from now.
The turbos on the 335i do fail quite easily. They are not reliable compare to the other turbos from the Japanese cars.

BMW 335i has following problems:

- Turbo failure (due to overheat)
- Electrical problems, including ignition.
- HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failure
- Fuel Injectors failure
- And more..

OP, if I were you I would be smart and stay away from the BMW 335i models for now. 328i should have less problems... or the other non-turbo ones.

I would like to go back to Lexus someday... maybe within 5 years. I miss my IS350.:(

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The turbos on the 335i do fail quite easily. They are not reliable compare to the other turbos from the Japanese cars.

BMW 335i has following problems:

- Turbo failure (due to overheat)
- Electrical problems, including ignition.
- HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failure
- Fuel Injectors failure
- And more..

OP, if I were you I would be smart and stay away from the BMW 335i models for now. 328i should have less problems... or the other non-turbo ones.

I would like to go back to Lexus someday... maybe within 5 years. I miss my IS350.:(
have any data to back this up? I have been lurking on e90post since 06 and member since 07. i have yet to see anything relating to turbo failure relating to normal use or even with a normal tune. stock 335s there should be no "frequent" turbo failure. there are guys pushing close to 400 HP daily on the stock turbos and I haven't seen a turbo failure thread yet but the life of those turbos will shot.

whats the electrical problem related to?

fuel injectors failure? i can see maybe if their running a high boost tune for a long time.

the main issues are
HPFP failure (stock or tuned)
heat soaked ICs

Reactions: cneeley
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.