Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been seriously considering trading in my 02 for an 04 and was just wondering about the process of doing so.

My reasons for trading in are:
- miles are racking up becasue of my job....15000 and change in 1 year.
- i think the original owner might have been in an accident because my tail lights have some overspray and my passenger door isnt perfectly aligned. Carfax returned a clean bill of health
- i really like the new 04 headlights and a new paint job wouldt hurt either
- all parts from my current car are transferable to the 04 model

So heres my dilemma, i would still get GGP but would probably go manual instead of e-shift. I would get the alcantara interior but would definately want nav. Do you think they can get me that combo?
Last question is how do i go about trading in. I currently owe 13k in my finance through a private bank and was wondering if i trade the car in now would lexus pay that off and i would owe them the difference? How does it work? Also how much do you guys think i would get for my car, its an 02 eshift, 29k miles, GGP on black full leather interior w/ nav, LSD, tint, and stock chrome rims. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For the value of your car, you can check out KBB.

You can sell your car to a private seller, which increases your chance of getting more money out of them, rather from the dealer.

If you decide to head to the dealer, they will pay off your remaining balance, and tack it on to your new payments.

As for getting your alcantara w. NAV, would probably take a while to search/build one for you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just a rough estimate, but lets say the dealer gives you $20,000 on trade.
They'll pay off your $13k owed and apply the remaining $7k as a downpayment. You won't pay tax on that money since it came from your trade-in. Normally, I'd tell you no because the car is so darn reliable, but it is the last year of the inline 6, your car has definitely been repainted (where there's overspray, there's new paint), you're upgrading from auto to stick (great choice), and you should be able to get a great deal now due to low sales volume.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
85eliminator said:
Just a rough estimate, but lets say the dealer gives you $20,000 on trade.
They'll pay off your $13k owed and apply the remaining $7k as a downpayment. You won't pay tax on that money since it came from your trade-in. Normally, I'd tell you no because the car is so darn reliable, but it is the last year of the inline 6, your car has definitely been repainted (where there's overspray, there's new paint), you're upgrading from auto to stick (great choice), and you should be able to get a great deal now due to low sales volume.
tru, good point...

Do it Dave!!!! go see what kind of deal you can get....

:chill:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i gotta sit down and think about it and when i have some time ill stop by the dealer. This may really happen. As soon as i saw signs of a previous accident i was totally turned off from the car. It couldnt have been anything extensive because it wasnt on carfax and therefor was never reported to insurance. But just the fact of knowing that kind of upset me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Carfax is crap. We did a carfax report on my buddy's 2 year old Mustang just before he ran an ad to sell it. He had a near total about 6 months after he bought the car that the insurance company spent about $15,000 to repair. The Carfax report on the car came back showing it to be clean and accident-free. Have a top notch body man inspect the car or find the original owner and ask.
Also, don't go asking the dealer what kind of deal they'll give you. They'll waste a bunch of your time trying to rape you. Go in and tell them what kind of deal you want. Tell 'em to give you $23K trade-in for your car and you'll buy the '04 for $28,000 plus tax. See what they say. If they say no, write your offer down and leave it along with your bus card or phone number. Tell them to give you a call if they change their minds. Near the end of the month, or even sooner, that sales guy will probably approach the sales manager with your offer again in hopes of boosting his monthly sales numbers. Or you can just send a faxed offer directly to the sales manager. Some people would say to wait for the '05's, but those things will probably be selling at list for the entire first year. Paying full list is nuts, unless you're riduculously rich. If anything, you'll get an even better deal if you wait til the spring/summer of '04, but not by much, since the dealing is darn good right now.

·
8,849 Posts
The best way to tell if your car has been in an accident is by feeling the edges of the body. The factory paint job will be smooth, and the body-shop's one will have some roughness.

The best thing for you to do is to see your dealer. Talk to them, explain your situation. Tell them, that the only reason you would trade is if it is a worthy deal.

I am not sure if a manual IS with Nav is available for your area. It is not for mine. The only way to get it would be through a special order, not that I wanted one with Nav in the first place - 2K can be better invested into aftermarket equipement.

I traded my 2001 IS for the 2003 one last April. There was an IS that I wanted already on the lot, so the dealer was more inclined to give me a good deal and keep me a happy customer.

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
i have had 2 ggp is300s now, i regret the second one, im so sick of ggp!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigDaddyRich said:
It makes soooo much sense to trade up and pay thousands more for the new headlights! :lol:

Maybe ur just being paranoid?
yeah thats what ive come to realize............i think whats bothering me the most is all the little nicks and scratches because im so anal about my paint. Nothing a paint job couldnt fix i guess. I mean, the car is running fine, certainly not worth losing 10000 dollars. I guess paint job it is. Anyone know how much itll cost? Id be just redoing it GGP.

·
8,849 Posts
If you sell it privately, don't forget to talk to your dealer about doing all of the paperwork for you. One dealer has offered to do that for me. There is a tax benefit there.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Do you think you are able to hang in there my friend until we all hear something about the next generation IS300? I would hate for you to get the 04 and then they drop the next IS300 and your like damn I want that one. You still would be paying down your principle which is a good thing. And the value of the car shouldn't drop that much, I hope. Maybe see what the upcoming auto shows will produce.

However I do understand about you feeling turned off about the possible previous hack job. Once you fall out of love with a ride it's time to move on. You tend not to take care of the car the same way when it was your pride and joy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.