Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking forward to get one and I've seen some magazine cars that are auto and few that are manual so I was wondering which would you reconmend E-Shift or 5spd manual

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Whatever you want, the manual puts a bit more power to the ground but will not hold as much power as the auto if you get into modifying big time, if you aren't planning on surpassing 350whp then its whatever your preference is. I have a manual, I wouldn't have it any other way, there is nothing like shifting the gears for yourself, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
it would be cheaper to do auto at that point, you'd need a valve body upgrade and transmission cooler, if you went manual you could swap in a W58, R154, V160 or V161 depending on how much further you are going.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I'd stick with manual but, guess I am being biased and all cause I own one! But, be prepared to open up credit cards and break open your bank cause its going to cost you a lot of money! G/L bro!

·
Registered
28 Posts
it would be cheaper to do auto at that point, you'd need a valve body upgrade and transmission cooler, if you went manual you could swap in a W58, R154, V160 or V161 depending on how much further you are going.
Stay as far away from the W58 tranny as possible, its a ticking time bomb. Very few have had that tranny with 500hp for more than a few thousand miles. its usually only good until about 450hp before it goes. If your going to spend the money on a swap, R154 should be good up to the 700's and the V16x (6 speed Supra tranny) is good as far as you can push the motor for the most part.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm surprised someone didn't tell you to do a "Search".

Everytime I see someone asking a question, everyone jumps on them to use the search option.

I'm currently looking for a 5-spd if that helps you at all. Automatics are lame IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also i saw somewhere where it said cars that are year 2000 + up are better auto than manual because it handles a little better , you wont miss shifts , no boost is lost in between the shifts , and you can build boost on the car but I dont know thats where i read it somewhere on a is300 video

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
The IS started production in 2001, there were a couple TSBs to fix some shifting issues, they were automatic only. Manuals were only 2002+, I don't know where you got your information but its somewhat wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
also i saw somewhere where it said cars that are year 2000 + up are better auto than manual because it handles a little better , you wont miss shifts , no boost is lost in between the shifts , and you can build boost on the car but I dont know thats where i read it somewhere on a is300 video
How can you loose boost on a naturally aspirated car?? Boost is created by forced induction, ie turbo charger or supercharger. The IS300 does not have either. I think you received false information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts