Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
That is called bridging. The factory amp will not run like that. It will fry. Just use one set of wires from one side of the harness. Why are you trying to bridge?
So if the factory amp can't be bridged, then would the second example (not the diagram with the 1ohm amp) work?

But then it would be running at 4ohms since it wasn't being run as parallel I assume, so it would be the same either way? So would I then need a 2ohm dual voice coil sub and wire it like example 2 to get the best output from the sub?

Sorry for all the questions man I really appreciate your help.

·
4,493 Posts
Yes, if you have a dual voice coil sub. That is rated at 2 ohm on each voice coil. Are you doing this so you do not need to buy another amp? If so, the factory amp does not put out that much power really. It would be much louder to run a line out converter and a new amp with a sub.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, if you have a dual voice coil sub. That is rated at 2 ohm on each voice coil. Are you doing this so you do not need to buy another amp? If so, the factory amp does not put out that much power really. It would be much louder to run a line out converter and a new amp with a sub.
Thanks man thats exactly what I needed to know. I plan on getting an amp later but I wanted to run it off the stock amp until then. Eventually I'll get a better amp along with a headunit and run new wires, but I just wanted to replace my blown 6x9s for now and this will suffice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Alright so I have an update on my audio set up.

Firstly, I did end up getting the 2ohm dual voice coil sub with a 6.5 inch diameter (I know its really small lol). I made a sealed box and got everything set up and working a little over a week ago.

Honestly the electrical work was much easier than I anticipated (being my first time), as I retained the stock factory wiring for the moment. This certainly isn't ideal, but I don't plan on keeping it set up like this for long. The hardest part of the whole project was making the box, which turned out pretty good I think. It's a somewhat odd shape as I wanted it to fill the middle portion of the back seats, where I removed the port/hole cover.

Everything sounds much much better than before. My old 6x9s were completely blown and sounded awful. The factory amp pushes the sub minimally, as expected, but fortunately my Alpine 6x9s exceeded my expectations immensely in the bass department even being run off just the 4ohm signals, so the rear still sounds full.

My next set of audio/interior reworks will consist of getting a new amp, headunit, running new wires, and installing sound deadening (most important imo).

I do have an issue however. This morning, I went out to the car to grab something and out of curiosity pulled down the middle seat cover to check the sub, and the outline of the cover/grill was wet. Interestingly enough, I pulled off the cover to find that the entire surface of the sub was coated in what appeared to be condensation. Nothing else in the back seat or trunk area was wet at all, it was just the face of the sub oddly enough. I live in a very hot/humid area and have gotten much rain the past few days but never expected that to occur. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be because I left the middle seat cover up during all the rain/heat, trapping it maybe?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts