Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my car has been at Lexus for 6 days now and they "claim" to have found and fixed the problem.

They say that I have a faulty ignition switch, which is being replaced.

Last Friday, I called and spoke with a rep at Lexus and advised them of all of my problems and they seemed very interested and concerned. They told me they would be sending someone to the dealership to make sure the problem was fully corrected.

I also told them I would make a NJ Lemon Law claim if my car met the criteria (which it is getting close to) and the Lexus rep told me "they would help me with my claim" if it got that far. I'm supposed to pick up my car tonight, so I'll let yall know if it is fixed or if I'll be getting a refund/new car pursuant to the Lemon Law.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sorry for your troubles with your car, definitely not lexus like.

keep up updated.

Ya know, since this happened to you, I have been trying to duplicate your issue, but no cigar. The car never has turned off.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the update. Sorry for your troubles with your car, definitely not lexus like.

keep up updated.

Ya know, since this happened to you, I have been trying to duplicate your issue, but no cigar. The car never has turned off.

Yeah, that prior suggestion by the dealer was bogus... had NOTHING to do with how I was driving it. Also, it should make most here feel much better to know that when my car was taken away (on a flatbed) the tow truck driver (who is NOT a Lexus employee) said it was the first Lexus he'd ever towed for mechanical reasons in four years. (That didn't make me feel any better, but it should make the rest of you feel good!!! LOL)

I hope they've fixed the problem (and any new ones created from the original problem). I just want my car!

Even though this has been a pretty rough run for me, it hasn't changed my opinion of Lexus. I may have gotten a bad apple, but I know from my other car and those of my family members, that this is not the norm for Lexus. I still believe they make the best cars on the road and given the opportunity, I would take a new IS instead of my money back.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
The start, then stall (or no start at all) issue is a known problem. It is the ignition switch, poor contact inside the switch is causing the issue. A service bulletin is to be released on it soon. Wonder why it took them so long to figure that out?

Reactions: METEORO and Razal

·
Registered
636 Posts
This did happen to me once. once. I didn't think much of it since it never happened again. Good luck with yours.

-Mike

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The start, then stall (or no start at all) issue is a known problem. It is the ignition switch, poor contact inside the switch is causing the issue. A service bulletin is to be released on it soon. Wonder why it took them so long to figure that out?

You're actually the first to mention it (other than the dealership), so thanks and I hope this will be the end of it.

I still haven't gotten my car (they called me tonight and said tomorrow - that will make it on full week this time around) and a total of 12 days in the shop in 5 months.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...and it continues...

Dealership called me last night and said "we got the part late and didn't get a chance to put it in, so you're car won't be ready until tomorrow".

I think they are lying and the problem they are facing is that they can't FIX the stalling issue. I think they are trying to stall for time, especially since they know I plan to pursue a Lemon Law claim.

I'm now at day 13 (in total) of days my car has been in for repairs. 1,800 miles and 5 months old.

One more week in service and I will qualify for the Lemon Law.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess what???

It is now Saturday (they've had my car 9 days) and I still don't have it back. Now I'm sure they are full of shit.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealership...

They replaced the ignition switch and all the wiring and it DID NOT correct the problem.

They are holding the car and still working on it. As I said above, today is Saturday, 6 more days and I meet the criteria for New Jersey's Lemon Law. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay folks, today is Tuesday January 8, the dealership has had my car for 12 consecutive days (a total of 17 since I bought it) and they "claim" to have fixed the problem.

So, it wasn't the ignition switch, rather the "neutral switch" (whatever that is). The service manager also told me some mumbo jumbo about the "ECU", but I had no idea what he was talking about.

They also replaced the start button, to an "updated one" (whatever that means) as he said there have been problems with the starter buttons. They replaced the battery and gave me a brand new one. (If you remember back to day one, they accused me of "leaving the lights on before I went away on vacation").

I also wrote Lexus a 5 page complaint letter yesterday and sent it to them Fed Ex overnight. I'll wait for there response before I post the letter here.

Basically, if my car is in for any mechanical problems (totalling more than three days) in the next 18 months, I'll qualify for the NJ Lemon Law.

To be honest, I'm not very optimistic about their claim to have fixed the problem. I think they are very aware of how close I am to making the claim (one of the requirements is written notice to the manufacturer) and they are doing there best to ensure I don't qualify. I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
A neutral switch is activated when the transmission is in park or neutral and allows the engine to start. It's supposed to prevent it from starting when a gear is selected, or "in gear".

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A neutral switch is activated when the transmission is in park or neutral and allows the engine to start. It's supposed to prevent it from starting when a gear is selected, or "in gear".
Okay, that makes sense, because the car would shut off when I'd put it in drive and restart itself when I would shift into park.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If this weren't so sad, it would be really funny.

I get to the dealership last night at around 6pm. My car is parked outside of the service bays waiting for me. (Unusual since normally they keep the car inside the drive in area of the service department).

The car was super clean (they did an excellent job on the cleaning). I decided to give the car a serious "once over" (including looking under the hood).

First thing I noticed is the plastic panels covering the engine were scratched really badly. I mean they really look like they were kicked around something fierce. Next thing I notice was a pretty bad gash on my passenger side front rim (I'm really good about keeping my car immaculate and clean my rims frequently and I am about 98% sure it wasn't there when I had the car... but given the fact that I'm not 100%, I'm letting it slide).

So, I go out to the car, sit down, put my foot on the brake and hit the start button. The car starts nicely. The Nav screen comes on and I touch the "I agree" disclaimer. About one second passes and the terrible screeching (as though the car has been turned over again) starts. I immediately shut her down and get out of the car.

Two dealer employees hear the screecing come out and ask me if I "hit the start button again". I have NO f*cking clue why they keep asking me this, as if I'm a first time driver.

One of the guys is a mechanic and he says, "your car isn't fixed, just leave it here". So, I hop back into my loaner (which I've had longer than my own car over the last month) and go home.

The service manager was not in when this happened, nor were any service advisors. I am going to call him in about 5 minutes to see what is going on.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
So, I go out to the car, sit down, put my foot on the brake and hit the start button. The car starts nicely. The Nav screen comes on and I touch the "I agree" disclaimer. About one second passes and the terrible screeching (as though the car has been turned over again) starts. I immediately shut her down and get out of the car.

Two dealer employees hear the screecing come out and ask me if I "hit the start button again". I have NO f*cking clue why they keep asking me this, as if I'm a first time driver.

One of the guys is a mechanic and he says, "your car isn't fixed, just leave it here". So, I hop back into my loaner (which I've had longer than my own car over the last month) and go home.

The service manager was not in when this happened, nor were any service advisors. I am going to call him in about 5 minutes to see what is going on.
Hmmm, sounds like the starter is either staying engaged or is engaging a second time. If it is engaging a second time,....thinking backwards,....the engine has not told the computer that it has started and running. Or, the initial press of the starter button was not identified by a computer immediately,...but a second after the starter engaged and it ran through the start sequence a second time.
Could be multiple sensors or computers acting up at the same time causing one big problem.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spoke with the service manager this morning. He did not even know the car was still in for service. He genuinely seemed shocked.

When I told him what had happened, he said "that can't be... I drove the car 15 minutes before you got to the dealership and it was perfect".

I must say... I was a bit surprised by his tone over the phone. He was playing the "must be the driver's fault" game. It's getting old and tired.

I've now sent Lexus a second letter (cc'd a copy to the dealership) giving them a last chance to fix the car (as required by the Lemon Law statute). I think I've covered all of my bases now, so all I have to do is wait.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks like you may be getting a new ride. I hope it works out for you.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Do you normally hold the start button or just depress and release right away?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you normally hold the start button or just depress and release right away?
I just press and release. I've had the IS 250 loaner for more than two weeks now and it has never done what mine does.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Has Lexus Corp contacted you after you sent all the documentation?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing from Lexus as yet (and considering I phoned them more than a week ago - about 10 days ago), I'm surprised they haven't contacted me.

By the way... today is day 20 in service. If I don't get my car today (fixed), I qualify as having a Lemon in NJ.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts