Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hi beam headlights appear to be aimed too high. As I drive down the road, I can light up houses and most of the roof and not much light goes on the area ahead where I need it.

Car hasn't been lowered and the headlites have been like this since I took delivery.

So my question is, how to adjust the hi beams only? Manual isn't any help. I see the two vertical adjusting wheels, but didn't want to mess up anything since the car has the motorized low beam leveler.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My advice is bring it back to the dealer to have it adjust. Don't try to do it yourself 'cuz you might mess it up even more & the dealer might blame you for it!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our headlights Autoleveling? Or does that not apply to our high beams as well?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Re: They are too high. . . . How do I adjust. . . . . . . .

BillR said:
My hi beam headlights appear to be aimed too high. As I drive down the road, I can light up houses and most of the roof and not much light goes on the area ahead where I need it.

Car hasn't been lowered and the headlites have been like this since I took delivery.

So my question is, how to adjust the hi beams only? Manual isn't any help. I see the two vertical adjusting wheels, but didn't want to mess up anything since the car has the motorized low beam leveler.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!
ummm... if you have your high beams on, it WILL light up houses, high beams are directed higher on purpose to see further ahead.

Now turn your high beams off before you cause an accident! :bitching:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dela said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our headlights Autoleveling? Or does that not apply to our high beams as well?
That's why I don't want to touch anything- yet.

Kanine21:
Dude, I've had MANY cars so I know where high beams are SUPPOSED to be aimed. The Hi beams on my IS are WAY too high. They don't not light up the area ahead like most cars do.
Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
BillR said:
dela said:
That's why I don't want to touch anything- yet.

Kanine21:
Dude, I've had MANY cars so I know where high beams are SUPPOSED to be aimed. The Hi beams on my IS are WAY too high. They don't not light up the area ahead like most cars do.
Thanks for the feed back.
Well... have you contacted the dealer yet? they'll be able to tell you how to adjust them, or have you come in so they can for you.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You shouldn't need high beams at neighborhood speeds. If you think you do, then your low beams are not adjusted correctly. I find it amazing that people in my subdivision that drive 20-30mph think they need highbeams on. Do they really think they are overdriving the lights? Probably not adjusted correctly.

The auto leveling system I believe just adjusts the beam pattern based on suspension or spring compression. For example when accelerating the rear end is lower and the headlights tend to blind other traffic. Similarly with loaded vehicles with more people and cargo. I'm pretty sure there is an SAE standard or NHTSA law specificalyl for HID auto leveling systems and why they were introduced. It wasn't for absolute aiming of the beam, it was for adusting relative to the suspension or vehicle pitch/dive. In the normal resting state, the adjustment is right in the middle. The middle of adjustiment should be aimed properly based on some SAE spec I believe, at least I know there is one for foglamps and auxiallary driving lamps.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Aubie83 said:
Take it to the dealer or you can try to fix yourself, its not that hard.
Yet another insightful post by the man with the make believe girlfriend.

Quit trying to run up your post count.

·
11,062 Posts
One should not be patroling the neighborhood with the high beams on in the first place. Nevertheless, if you think the lights are not adjusted properly, you should take it to the dealer and have them check the low beams and the auto-leveling system as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, everyone telling me how to drive!!! :pissed:
Who SAID I was patrolling a neighborhood w/ hi beams on?
I didn't!! I was mearly using that as a frame of reference only!!!!
How bout this: on a deserted road, the high beams lite up the tops of the trees more than the road ahead.

The dealer is pretty slammed right now. Otherwise I'd take it there. But I have adjusted headlites on some of my other cars and it is easy. I was curious if anyone knew how to adjust the high beams.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I don't get a chance to drive often with my highbeams, so I can't judge the frame of reference. I don't believe the highbeams can be aimed separately fro mthe low because they are in the same assembly. I
d check the level of the low beams first, then the dealer ifyou still think there is a problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The instructions are in your manual. If you look at the highbeam housing you will see two screws to adjust the angle. Park your car infront of a wall and adjust them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
dph
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing