Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the way home with my new car i noticed the steering wheel was not centered, its off about 3 degrees which makes it enough to be irritating. just hope no one else has this problem. i didnt want to take the car back today so i kept driving!! the car is great otherwise!. also, wondering if anyone purchased the teflon coating for the paint or the interior protection system (which i think is just scotch guard)? they were trying to charge $450 for both!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Never ever ever get those "cloth protection" or "underbody rust prevention".

They are total complete rip offs, in no way worth what they are charging.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The teflon coat stuff is a bit of a con too. You'll get locked into a loop of special waxes and still have to renew the teflon periodically (every couple years I think). This advice came from a BMW body shop supervisor.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Maybe the tires need an alignment?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any of you guys notice a shake in the steering wheel around a certain mph ? I noticed it on the test drive car, but thought it was because people had been abusing it... but when I got mine, I felt that same slight shaking of the steering wheel, and even the front of the car itself. Almost as if it the tires needed balancing... anybody else notice this ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
No, I've hit 120mph in wife's car (Briefly Without Knowing It) while running down a
2000 Maxima...& 328i Bimmer.......

Didn't notice any shake in the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alignment for a brand new car....that sucks! i hate to take the car back and have the service guys get trained on my car!!! after forking out 35K I'm pretty upset the cars not perfect!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes! I do notice a shake in the steering wheel at certain speeds. What's up???
Mil. Silver.

------------------
stein

·
Registered
994 Posts
If the steering wheel shakes, I think that's a sign that the wheels aren't balanced correctly.

--k

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited July 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
My father has had the same problem with his GS 400. They put the 17s on the computer and sure enough they needed balancing. These 17s are very finicky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was a really long check list somewhere of what to do when you pick up a BMW. The list is easily adapted for Lexus. It specifically states having the alignment checked because of unforseen problems in transportation. I have always insisted that the dealership balance the tires and check the alignment when I have picked up a car. So far, out of 15 new cars I bought, only 2 didn't have some sort of a problem. GET IT CHECKED OUT!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 30 day/1000 mile service is a free inspection...perhaps the dealer will do an alignment and high speed balance at no charge....if that doesn't address the shimmee, you might have other issues..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by delta:
alignment for a brand new car....that sucks! i hate to take the car back and have the service guys get trained on my car!!! after forking out 35K I'm pretty upset the cars not perfect!

Stop whining and just take the car back and get the steering wheel centered. If the car tracks straight and just the steering wheel is off-center, then a minor front toe adjustment will fix it. I'm sure the service guys already know how to do alignments. I don't care how much you spend on a car, nothing is perfect!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
easier said than done, the dealership is 80 miles away! if i wanted problems this early, i would've bought a BMW!

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is funny. I thought Lexi were perfect. Actually, you may be able to have a local mechanic do it. If it uses a steering box, usually there is lock nut on top that allows adjusting the steering. I have adjusted it on my M5 and I can really get the wheel off center if I do it wrong. It was just missed by the dealer. Unless the car isn't tracking correctly I would stay away from the toe adjustments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts