Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now living in Indiana there's actual winter here and lots of salt so I bought a 2001 Tacoma double cab so I could park the lexus. since then things have gotten out of hand. First starting with needing tires turning into bigger 33s which meant a 3" lift. Did all the maintenance. Ended up getting stuck so I got a rear locker. Since then I've beat the crap out of it wheeling it and finally getting to do all the shitbox mods I could never do on the Lexus. Currently building custom Heim steering and building the front ifs for eventual 37s. Sorry for the lack of lexus content but I'm slowly building a pile of parts and work for this spring.

Attachments

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 143671

Love this shot. Looks really good man, how many miles on it?

Might be my favorite generation tacoma.
Its up to 285k mi. I lost the drive to clean it so it's always muddy. Having driven every model tacoma these are one of my favorites. Just got the stuff to build some custom tre with some heims and other stuff. Plan is to finish up beefing up the front ifs get another 3" lift and get some 37s.

· Registered
441 Posts
Its up to 285k mi. I lost the drive to clean it so it's always muddy. Having driven every model tacoma these are one of my favorites. Just got the stuff to build some custom tre with some heims and other stuff. Plan is to finish up beefing up the front ifs get another 3" lift and get some 37s.
37s will look good no doubt, though I'm digging the current setup. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

· Registered
952 Posts
When upgrading wheel size, you might have to upgrade the gear ratio too. I know why my 80 series LC, when you upgrade the wheel size to 35 or even 37s, you have to change the gear ratio otherwise you won't be in the powerband like you are supposed to. It'll feel 10 times slower reaching speed limit.

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When upgrading wheel size, you might have to upgrade the gear ratio too. I know why my 80 series LC, when you upgrade the wheel size to 35 or even 37s, you have to change the gear ratio otherwise you won't be in the powerband like you are supposed to. It'll feel 10 times slower reaching speed limit.
I already have that issue when I went from 31s to 33s but I don't want to throw money away on gearing rn considering I'll be changing it down the line. I struggle to do anything more then 65mph right now. Tonight's project is tapping the inner tre for the custom outters I'm building. I have some 3/4-16 threaded rod I'm using to connect my inner tre and outer heim joint. I also have som 3/4 galvinized pipe to slide over the threaded rod for more strength and keep it somewhat clean.

Attachments

· Registered
952 Posts
I had a 4 inch lift on my LC before (Unknown brand) and it was way too soft. You can feel every sway when turning and it's super sketchy. I changed over to OME 2 inch lift with upgrade steering and new dobinson control arms. It's night and day between the two. It is solid on turns, no sway or bounciness that makes lifted car sketchy. I recommend going OME when you do a 3inch lift.

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 4 inch lift on my LC before (Unknown brand) and it was way too soft. You can feel every sway when turning and it's super sketchy. I changed over to OME 2 inch lift with upgrade steering and new dobinson control arms. It's night and day between the two. It is solid on turns, no sway or bounciness that makes lifted car sketchy. I recommend going OME when you do a 3inch lift.
I'm going Bernstein 5100s up front and revolver shackles in the rear. Ride quality is not a concern for me the sway bars are already gone off road is the priority. The more the front will flex the better.

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed, front flex is very needed for offroading, swaying and body lean is not :)
Sway bars will reduce my suspension flex a lot so those have got to go. My uppers are gonna get here Tuesday. All set up for new rack and tre and lower control arm overhaul tomorrow. Snow hit good here so I'll have some "testing" to do once I'm done.

· Registered
952 Posts
Sway bars will reduce my suspension flex a lot so those have got to go. My uppers are gonna get here Tuesday. All set up for new rack and tre and lower control arm overhaul tomorrow. Snow hit good here so I'll have some "testing" to do once I'm done.
Nice, let me know how it turns out....if you do a lot of offroading...you should look into a landcruiser...the solid axle frame is amazing for offroading.

· Registered
2002 is300
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, let me know how it turns out....if you do a lot of offroading...you should look into a landcruiser...the solid axle frame is amazing for offroading.
I've been searching but nothing quite right yet. Anyways got around to lower ball joints and rack and while installing the lines the rack cracked causing it to leak. Not sure how that happened considering I was finger tight but I got another rack, toyoda one rebuilt which is nice. Did a new high pressure line, the one that cracked it and some new low pressure lines too. I've been stuck at work for 2 days straight, slept here too so I'm excited to finish and go home.

· Registered
952 Posts
I've been searching but nothing quite right yet. Anyways got around to lower ball joints and rack and while installing the lines the rack cracked causing it to leak. Not sure how that happened considering I was finger tight but I got another rack, toyoda one rebuilt which is nice. Did a new high pressure line, the one that cracked it and some new low pressure lines too. I've been stuck at work for 2 days straight, slept here too so I'm excited to finish and go home.
eww..having to sleep at work sucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts