Lexus IS Forum banner

The underbody comparison

3K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  chado 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for an underbody brace and so far what I know is that:
The TRD ones are steal, heavy, and low clearance.
Cusco are alm. lighter, better clearance and sound like the ones I want.

The question, and I know 2GTEU is in on this too, are the Tanabe Sustecs and the Cuscos the same thing??
I've heard that, but my impression was that the Cuscos have more conection points and maybe a bit stiffer by design by looking at random pics of either, but the pics of the Sustecs I've seen have never been the IS models so I couldn't accuratly compare.

Off topic questions is how long do you peeps think it will take Tein to revalve one very F*cked up coilover?

And if I bought a TE kit maybe I should hold off on getting the braces in hopes that Jeff would cut my some $$ slack on a boost and brace deal? (Spose I should call but I haven't bothered him yet).

B.

#2 ·
LOL :) the TOM'S braces have the lowest clearance bro! the TRD's are just fine with regards to clearance and yes they are made of steel just like your rstb;) and as for the flex re valve it takes 2 to 3 weeks depending on how busy they are.

#5 ·
I had the Tanabe underbody brace and honestly, i couldn't tell the difference with/without it. But then again i have Tein HAs, strut bars and TRD yellow sways.

Revalving Teins shouldn't take long, especially since your local...your in Torrance, Tein is in Downey. I heard something like $60> per strut for revalve...i could be wrong though.

#7 ·
Hey Chad how are your lights doin? :) as for the braces, yes you DO need both to equalize the load/stress on the undercarriage. If you ever notice the car squeak when you are goin up a driveway, the bracing definitely helps reduce if not eliminate that squeak(chassis flex), so just imagine how it helps out on a hairpin turn;)

onnyaltezza> that is a just a local group of guys who meet up every now and then to help each other out with installs and other stuff.

DAG> how's the car handling bro?

#8 ·
2TGEU said:
Hey Chad how are your lights doin? :) as for the braces, yes you DO need both to equalize the load/stress on the undercarriage. If you ever notice the car squeak when you are goin up a driveway, the bracing definitely helps reduce if not eliminate that squeak(chassis flex), so just imagine how it helps out on a hairpin turn;)

onnyaltezza> that is a just a local group of guys who meet up every now and then to help each other out with installs and other stuff.

DAG> how's the car handling bro?
Handles good, but could be better i think. I got flex's coming in on friday. Will post up on them. Thanks for asking.

#9 ·
2TGEU said:

trying to sell those lights actually. replaced them with a new set of '04s ;) i just wonder how much it will be to install these braces, and also i heard the ride quality might not be as comfortable afterwards. but i would like to get rid of the creaking when pulling into driveways...

#11 ·
BlackSportD said:
I'm in the market for an underbody brace and so far what I know is that:
The TRD ones are steal, heavy, and low clearance.
Cusco are alm. lighter, better clearance and sound like the ones I want.
Sup Sean...

TRD is made of steel and more rigid as oppose to aluminum...don't you think? Also I do recall 2TGEU telling me the TOMS are the ones with low clearance...

I still want the Tanabe...so Francis (2TGEU) if your thinking of swapping yours for a TRD I got dibs on your underbracing! ;)

#12 ·
hmm.. heavy and rigid vs light and... ? anyone with the other brands care to chime in? it seems the TRD's give enough support to keep the chassis flexing going up and down driveways, which i am more aware of now thanks to my FLT-A2's :p if the other aluminum under braces give more than enough support, why not just go for those since its a lighter... just curious

#13 ·
YO FRED mang! 2JZ-GE you know you got dibs on all my stuff bro, once i take the plunge with my fellow onyx brotha...

black 86> as for goin light , sure the aluminum is good enoght for the driveway but how about track stress loads ? takin corners at 1g , 20mph turns at 70? i would prefer the trds if you track often if its just the occasional schooling of fwd ricers or deomestics , cusco/tanabe will definitely compliment your flt a2s;) btw how much did you get em for? i was lookin to get those.

#14 ·
im mean what is the stiffness of trd vs cusco/tanabe? 10 times greater?? if so then, shit, all trd! but if its 2 times stiffer, and 5 times heavier.. uhm... i'll take the lightness. any weight both brands? these are just figures im pulling off the top of my head. btw got the a2's for 1400 new.

#15 ·
well with regards to tensile strength yes steel wins over aluminum hands down, i dunno the exact metalurgy on these braces but yes i DO AGREE withyou when it comes to the weight savings , this was a major factor too wheni was contemplating on the 18rg or the 2t engine , as like yourself (ole teq owner) i went with the lighter one:) 1400 for jics eh? not bad, where at?

#23 ·
Probably in stock...if not it can always be ordered within a weeks time...

ask for Hugh...

#24 ·
i did the front tanabe, haven't gotten the rear yet, i have just been ordering things like this one at a time to add to the shop orders, when we order for a customer. The front made a noticeable change, i have a JIC front upper strut brace, Tanabe GF springs, sways, and rear strut brace as well. Tanabe is aluminum and super light, but its not just a hollow aluminum tube either. http://www.tanabe-usa.com/underbrace/default.asp

i was doubtfull when i pulled the stock off, but was happy w/ the change. Not saying these are the best out there since they are the only ones i've tried, but i would order it again if given the chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.