Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little "involved" in a project of mine but am getting a little stuck on 1 thing.

Does anyone know what sort of adhesive is used to glue the hood frame to the hood? It's sort of this rubbery flexible stuff.

I'm not really interested in answering questions about what I'm doing. If I wanted to, I would have posted it.

So only relevant responses only please. Thanks crackheads.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I am almost certain that it is that Rubbery Flexible Glue. I could be wrong. I would wait for someone elses reponse. But from what you explained, that's what it sounds like to me. Hope this helps!

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doodlebug said:
I am almost certain that it is that Rubbery Flexible Glue. I could be wrong. I would wait for someone elses reponse. But from what you explained, that's what it sounds like to me. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the help.

It has a consistency of a stale gummy worm with the innards airy like a marshmallow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea, the adhesive makes it nearly impossible to tear the frame away from the hood. You're better off cutting the sections of frame away instead of trying to separate.
unless you're reattaching..then..dont bother using adhesive.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
So what 'cha doin' De?

:wink:

Dunno about the glue thing though. Maybe ask a body shop for suggestions... :-?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
apoji187 said:
Yea, the adhesive makes it nearly impossible to tear the frame away from the hood. You're better off cutting the sections of frame away instead of trying to separate.
unless you're reattaching..then..dont bother using adhesive.
I am re-attaching. But how come you suggest not using adhesive. Then the frame will virtually not touch the hood surface.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
s0yb0mb said:
i don't know, but fromt he sounds of it, it could be a urathane glue...
I will look into this urethane glue that you speak of.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well..you can use adhesive - but dont use white elmer's glue or hot glue or silicone adhesive or anything like that...even uerethane adhesive wont work - because of the extreme heat conditions - most glues would probably work but i wouldnt want to place any bets.

If you're going to use glues - use Liquid Nails or construction adhesive..that sheit turns to stone, or an epoxy.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
That black adhesive that comes in a caulking type tube is the closest thing I know of to that glue. It is called Body-Tek (not sure on the exact spelling) I bought it from an auto-body supply shop. It is SUPER messy if you get it on your hands. Nothing short of gasoline/naptha will remove it from your hands so wear gloves. I bought it once to seal some things on another project car. Once it dries its super strong.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll look into body tek and the black urethane glue.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Niace!

5 dots for you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the dots :D Eastwood always has great stuff. I buy from them all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.