Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been really reading through the forums in the last couple of days and I just got off the phone with TurboEast (I didn't talk to a sales guy - I talked to a techie who was really cool - can't remember his name).

I asked him about the LMW CAI with the filter down behind the front bumper and what his thoughts on that were. He doesn't like this approach. He claims that:
1. The air temp in the summer is actually higher down there by the road than it is up by the bumper so while it seems good in theory and looks sexy - it's not the best approach.

2. He doesn't think the quality of the air is good because the engine has to 'suck' the air from down there vs. it being forced in with the stock box by the forward speed of the car. Not to mention that the air would be swirling around down behind the bumper creating turbulent air flow etc.

So they recommend leaving the stock airbox / scoop in place and using a TRD high-flo filter and then they replace the stock plastic pipe with an aluminum high flow pipe without a resonator in it.

Another thing I've read on these forums is that a lot of people buy the Alphawerks headers and then install them but leave the stock y-pipe. I had a friend tell me this was stupid and I asked him what his thoughts were on this approach and he confirmed thats pretty stupid as well. He claims the stock y-pipe contains the most restrictive cats on the car and that by replacing the stock headers but not the y-pipe really offsets some / most of the gains you get with the new headers.

They offer a y-pipe either with or without a high flow cat that they weld into place. The high flow cat he claims does not affect the rwhp / torque ratings at all but that it does make the exhaust smell cleaner and that it might pass e-checks in states where they do a pipe sniff . . . I live in SC where they don't do e-checks but given that I might move to a place where they do I think I'll get this option.

Then I asked him about the O2 sims and the wiring of the Greddy and whether their kit contained any instructions for this. He said he had a wiring diagram but that they didnt' ship any detailed instructions for how to do this. Expert friendly or so it seems . . . For a novice like me this seems . . . bad. He mentioned that he could come down on the price for his wiring harness which is normally $325. I guess they sell a wiring harness that has the O2 sims and the Greddy eManage already wired into it so that all you do is plug and play.

Overall he is pretty confident that with my RMM exhaust and their NA Max Power kit that I should be up around 198-200RWHP after everything is said and done (given the generally accepted starting point of 168rwhp for a stock 2001 e-shift).

Oh and I asked whether the headers would be re-usable with any of their turbo kits and he said 'no' that you have to install a turbo manifold etc. so that all I'd be able to re-use would be the intake system they use (but I guess I could sell the Greddy and the headers easy enough).

So it looks like it will be $1095 for the NA Max Power kit with the high-flow cat / y-pipe option . . . and then another $250 for the wiring harness . . . plus shipping. For 30rwhp or so . . .

Or I can get the Alphawerks headers y-pipe with no highflow cats for about $300 + the SRT Intake + chip for an additional $450. It seems cheaper but you lose a cat with that approach and have to do some wiring.

I dunno - I'm very tempted, these guys seemed very response both on email and on the phone (and friendly / helpful) . . .

Oh and did y'all see that Car and Driver just did a shootout with an IS350 and that they clocked it at 0-60 in 5.1? Wonder what will happen when that baby loosens up after 30k miles . . . wow!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
You must have spoken to Jeff (owner of TE). His NA Max Pwoer Kit with HC is as advertise.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
I will not comment on the CAI since I don't have any facts to back up what I would say, but I will comment on this.

0v3rki77 said:
Another thing I've read on these forums is that a lot of people buy the Alphawerks headers and then install them but leave the stock y-pipe. I had a friend tell me this was stupid and I asked him what his thoughts were on this approach and he confirmed thats pretty stupid as well. He claims the stock y-pipe contains the most restrictive cats on the car and that by replacing the stock headers but not the y-pipe really offsets some / most of the gains you get with the new headers.
Whoever told you leaving the stock cat kills power is either uninformed... or trying to sell you a high flow cat. They need to read this:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=209937

^^Dyno proof that the stock cat in the Ypipe does NOT cause any loss in peak power over a straight through setup. Unless they can produce results to back up their claims... they are just guessing about the "restrictiveness" of the stock Y cat and it's effects on power output.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Das - you rule man! I'm in S.C. - I make it to Atlanta in 3 hours routinely - I may have to hit the battelground and get some turbo lovin' done.

Oh and b.t.w. - it WAS Jeff at TurboEast I spoke with (he emailed me later) who indicated the stock y-pipe should definitely go and be replacedwith the cat-less or the high-flow cat-enabled y-pipe . . . hmmmm . . .

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
0v3rki77 said:
Das - you rule man! I'm in S.C. - I make it to Atlanta in 3 hours routinely - I may have to hit the battelground and get some turbo lovin' done.

Oh and b.t.w. - it WAS Jeff at TurboEast I spoke with (he emailed me later) who indicated the stock y-pipe should definitely go and be replacedwith the cat-less or the high-flow cat-enabled y-pipe . . . hmmmm . . .

Feel free to send him that link and see what he thinks on it. Jeff is a smart guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts