Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these interference engines?

The reason I'm asking is I recall a while back while I was on the supra forums gathering info to help a buddy with his Supra and I stumbled upon a thread about changing the timing belt and I stressed the importance of changing the belt because if it slips or snaps you will be purchasing a new head and possibly new internals and in extreme cases a new engine and I was corrected that the 2JZ-GTE was not in fact an interference engine and if the belt snapped then "whatever, the car just won't run until you install another one". Which I've never dealt with an engine like that, but I wasn't going to argue with someone with over 2k posts when I just had a few.

Well I thought the same thing about these 2JZ-GE engines until I was reading the repair manual and it was explaining how to change the timing belt and you have to align the crank and everything properly to get it on timing. If all of this is necessary then I would imagine if the timing belt were to snap or skip a tooth then bad things will happen, LOL. To my knowledge there is a very good reason why it's called a "timing" belt, because it keeps everything "in time" when the engine's crank is rotating, etc...

So what is the real answer? Does anyone know? If my timing belt snaps will it bend valves, destroy pistons, etc... or even worse? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but because I've only worked on engines like Honda's, Mitsubishi's, VW, etc...and if the belt snapped or skipped you were screwed.

Thanks for any help and for responding to what may seem like a dumb questions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 2jz-ge is most definitely a "interference" engine (can bend valves and such) I cant say for sure but quite possibly the extremely dished or eyebrowed pistons in the 2jz-gte may allow it to be a non interference....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2jz-ge is most definitely a "interference" engine (can bend valves and such) I cant say for sure but quite possibly the extremely dished or eyebrowed pistons in the 2jz-gte may allow it to be a non interference....
That's what I thought, but was hoping I was wrong....but I don't see how it couldn't be. I still don't understand how the 2jz-gte isn't, but i've only worked on turbo related stuff and a little wiring on those cars, i've never dug into the engine or had any reason to really research it. If it wasn't an interference engine then what's the point of the timing belt?

oh well...no need to have any of those questions answered unless i one day decide on purchasing a TT supra, but i doubt it. Thanks for the help and not throwing a sarcastic remark at me because it does sound like a stupid question. I only asked because I got reamed over at supraforums for saying "MAKE SURE AND MAINTAIN YOUR TIMING BELT, DON'T EVEN THINK OF GOING OVER THE CHANGE INTERVAL".

rep +1 for you :approve:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts