Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just got back from my 1K service at Lexus of Watertown. The car is great except for the thudding noise coming from the back of the car. The noise has been discussed on this forum many times and we all think that it is normal. So, they heard the noise and had a conference call with Lexus. The good news is that Lexus knows about the issue and might come up this a fix, but the bad news is they do not know when. What do you think? Should we write a letter to Lexus or something... Please post your comments.

-Oleg.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
youll learn to love the thud. It makes me smile when i shift into second and hear the very mechanical thud noise that lets me know I drive a manual.

Dont worry about it, I have 15k miles, and the shifts are smoother now then when it was new.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i agree the thud is annoying & would love a fix ........ i have 11k & i also think it is not doing it too much any more. Although I drive it much different now then when it was new. I slow down the shifting & it seems to cut out the "thud". What i mean by slowing down ...... when i push in the clutch i let the revs drop.
If you find out more on a fix i would love to know!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
its play in the drivetrain, no big deal, actually it might give a cushion on hard launching, and possibly prolong the drivetrain life

-gte

·
Registered
13 Posts
oleg- I am not sure if this will help ease your mind. When I bought my 97 TT Supra new with 5 miles on it, I noticed all sorts of wierd thuds and clanking from the rear and the tranny. After about 200 miles I brought it in and said this is BS- the cars is a lemmon- the mechanic (who was a supra nut) looked at me very annoyed and said "this is a performance car meant for abuse and hard livin, not for pretty sounds." 60 K miles later after trying to break the driveline the car has not had one thing (repeat not one thing) go wrong with it. It has been in for routine service only. And it is still making these sounds that are just scary as hell to listen to. I know that the IS and TT are cousins so maybe this applies to your car. The one "complaint" I have about Lex/Toy is that since their defect rate is so low, they tend to blow off complaints.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Don't you just HATE it when you get a car that isolates you from the road and makes you feel like you're not connected to the car?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
JW said:
Don't you just HATE it when you get a car that isolates you from the road and makes you feel like you're not connected to the car?
yep. I've driven a lot of rental cars when I go out of town on business and some of them are horrible. The steering is so loose and the suspension is so soft, you can't feel anything.

·
Registered
589 Posts
XCstud said:
JW said:
yep. I've driven a lot of rental cars when I go out of town on business and some of them are horrible. The steering is so loose and the suspension is so soft, you can't feel anything.

yeah -- i took the loaner ES300 out for my 5k service a couple of weeks ago -- almost didn't feel safe -- couldn't tell where the car was going-- almost out of control..

not to mention that it felt huge -- could have put 4 bodies in thr trunk :lol:

d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
11 Participants
dhoefgen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing