Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the PWR button even give you any type of HP increase? I lost my freakn manual for my car and I dont actually know what it does?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
On Eshift the PWR button just makes the trans shift a little tighter and goes to a little higher RPM in each gear before it auto shifts.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
will constant use of the power button damages our car?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Benign said:
I don't think so, but it will reduce gas mileage and the crisper shifting may be uncomfortable for some folks. It also seems to accent the 1 - 2 shift drag so you end up with actually worse acceleratiion from dead stop.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
bartkat said:
Benign said:
I don't think so, but it will reduce gas mileage and the crisper shifting may be uncomfortable for some folks. It also seems to accent the 1 - 2 shift drag so you end up with actually worse acceleratiion from dead stop.
I think I've had my power button on for around 11,000 miles and it still runs as well as it did from day 1 :D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
bartkat said:
Benign said:
there is no worse acceleration from using the power button.
here is what it does:
makes the shifts higher.. no power button- car shifts around 3,000 rpms
POwer button ON- car shifts around 4,000rpms

also, the power button makes it easier for you to get into the higher end of the RPMS while driving.. it also makes the gas pedal more sensitive and easier to push down.. no joke.. go try it.. power button on- pedal is really feathery... power button off- gas pedal feels firmer...

it is true you will lose gas mileage with the power button on.
if you are thinking of asking "why", look above and re- read..

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
dpatterson069 said:
bartkat said:
Benign said:
here is what it does:

also, the power button makes it easier for you to get into the higher end of the RPMS while driving.. it also makes the gas pedal more sensitive and easier to push down.. no joke.. go try it.. power button on- pedal is really feathery... power button off- gas pedal feels firmer...

If you have the 1-2 shift sluggisn, slppy probblem. using the ECT power will make your WOT acceleration slower.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
bartkat said:
dpatterson069 said:
bartkat said:
Benign said:
here is what it does:

If you have the 1-2 shift sluggisn, slppy probblem. using the ECT power will make your WOT acceleration slower.
i dont agree with that, but i might not be getting what you are saying 100 percent.
using the power button can only help to get you moving faster with the increased sensitivity.

if the gears are sluggish, then of course the cars acceleration is gonna be worse regardless of the power button on or off..

if you are saying that, if the car cant downshift as fast because of sluggish gears, then i can kind of see it that way. Although, i would think that with the power button, it might only look to help remedy that situation. I woudlnt know for sure, being that my is300 doesnt have sluggish gears at all..

the only sluggish flaw ive seen in my is300 is at 75mph, if you accelerate , at 80mph , the rev limiter kicks in, and when this occurs, the car seems to lag in acceleration for a second.. but then jumps back in and accelerates really well.. many people have that problem..

·
Registered
839 Posts
Using the PWR button equals BETTER gas mileage if you learn how to feather the pedal correctly.

I've been running PWR for about 18,000 miles and recently tried taking PWR off to get better gas mileage.

After four gas refills, I found that I dropped about 1.5 miles to the gallon.

The difference is in the amount of control you have. If you watch your "useless" MPG gauge you will see that if you are going over a slight hill without the PWR button engaged and are slugging in a high gear at low RPM, that the MPG hand drops to about 10, however if you engage the PWR button which will make the car downshift a gear to bring the RPM up to something a little higher, therefore allowing you to give a little less to the gas pedal, the MPG hand will be at like 25.

Check it out sometime. The bottom line is that the PWR button allows more control of the tranny therefore allowing the user more control of gas mileage performance.

JM2C

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
NItrouS 300 said:
Using the PWR button equals BETTER gas mileage if you learn how to feather the pedal correctly.

I've been running PWR for about 18,000 miles and recently tried taking PWR off to get better gas mileage.

After four gas refills, I found that I dropped about 1.5 miles to the gallon.

The difference is in the amount of control you have. If you watch your "useless" MPG gauge you will see that if you are going over a slight hill without the PWR button engaged and are slugging in a high gear at low RPM, that the MPG hand drops to about 10, however if you engage the PWR button which will make the car downshift a gear to bring the RPM up to something a little higher, therefore allowing you to give a little less to the gas pedal, the MPG hand will be at like 25.

Check it out sometime. The bottom line is that the PWR button allows more control of the tranny therefore allowing the user more control of gas mileage performance.

JM2C
What's your highway MPG running with the PWR buttton on?

·
Registered
466 Posts
dpatterson069 said:
the only sluggish flaw ive seen in my is300 is at 75mph, if you accelerate , at 80mph , the rev limiter kicks in, and when this occurs, the car seems to lag in acceleration for a second.. but then jumps back in and accelerates really well.. many people have that problem..

Yeah i have this problem too =( However, I don't think it's the rev limiter kicking in. I had a tech come for a ride with me, he noticed it as well, but they haven't resolved anything yet. I'm pretty sure he just wants to blame my mods, but of course this isn't the cause of it if ppl have been having this problem with only an after-market exhaust installed

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
GJ said:
dpatterson069 said:

Yeah i have this problem too =( However, I don't think it's the rev limiter kicking in. I had a tech come for a ride with me, he noticed it as well, but they haven't resolved anything yet. I'm pretty sure he just wants to blame my mods, but of course this isn't the cause of it if ppl have been having this problem with only an after-market exhaust installed
yea, no one can seem to pin point this problem.. its really bothersome at times... if i accel after 80mph, its not there.. its just inbetween 73-79mph..

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The 1-2 shift problem on 2001 and early 2002 models has been documented and service bulletins were issued, and the "fix" made for those who returned their cars for service.

I've never experienced any problems in the 75 - 80 MPH range, but I belive 80 MPH is about where the trans shifts fro 3 to 4.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
bartkat said:
The 1-2 shift problem on 2001 and early 2002 models has been documented and service bulletins were issued, and the "fix" made for those who returned their cars for service.

I've never experienced any problems in the 75 - 80 MPH range, but I belive 80 MPH is about where the trans shifts fro 3 to 4.
yea, it was called the trac/ecu update... which i did.

80mph is where the car shifts from 3-4, but this lag occurs when you down shift to 4th gear from 5th gear AT 72-79mph... the lag occurs in 4th gear at 80mph once you reach that speed.. and the best way to describe it is to look at the rpm band and watch how it hangs at 4,800 for about 1 second and then shoots up to 5,100 right after...

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I'll have to try that. Are you using E shift or forcing the downshift with the accelerator pedal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts