Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did several hours of research on this subject and wanted to share what I learned.

First of all, what I learned was that Lithium grease and Marine grease are all petroleum based. Any petroleum based grease will react and degrade your bushings including Polyurethane bushing and stock OEM rubber Bushings. They may work for quieting your ride, but manufactures do not recommend them. I suspect because the petroleum based may harden the plastic or rubber and result in cracking the bushing over time.

I checked with 2 major manufactures of Lubricants for automotive markets, NYE Lubricants and Syn-Tech Lubricants. Spoke with one of the reps that visit our company. Looks like the industry recommends synthetic or silicone based grease. For some reason GM now perfers a non-silicone based grease. See below

From NYE lubricant's web site:

Non-Silicone Bushing
Grease Approved by GM
General Motors assigned Part No. 9986233
to Nye’s Fluorocarbon Gel 875R for stabilizer
bushings. Fluorocarbon Gel 875R is a rust-inhibited,
PTFE-thickened, heavy viscosity,
synthetic hydrocarbon grease. Nye often
recommends Fluorocarbon Gel 880, a PTFE-thickened
silicone grease, for stabilizer
bushings. GM wanted a non-silicone grease
with the same capabilities. Stabilizer bushing
grease eliminates the annoying (sometimes,
down-right obscene) sound of rubber against
metal that has been known to boost
warranty expenses.

Well, its a bit difficult for most of us to buy a smalll jar of this stuff from Nye since they sell this in 5 gallon buckets. The only synthetic grease or Silicone grease I found on the retail level or online is pictured below

Picked this up at ACE Hardware for $3. It is a Synthetic grease with PTFE (teflon) mixed in. It is not petroleum based and is clear in color and the same texture / thickness and color as the grease that came with my L-tuned/Eibach sway bar bushings.

I believe the Silicone spray lubricant in a spray can will NOT work This stuff is water thin and will be washed off easily. Whereas the synthetic grease from ACE has the same texture/viscosity of toothpaste.

Regarding installation, I had to repack my grease after 1 year with the L-tuned. They started to get very noisy when temps fall below 20 degrees. A year ago, during inital install, I pre-wrapped the bar with teflon tape, grease the bushing, then tightend it down. Upon disassembly after a year, most of the teflon tape has disintegrated or is torn off in small pieces.

So this time, I packed plenty of synthetic grease in the bushing and installed it on the bar. After tighting the bolts, I wrapped a thick layer of teflon tape around the outside of the bushing, the area between the bar and the bushing. This helps seal off the crack or small opening between bushing and sway bar where water can splash in. We'll see how well this works over time.

http://www.super-lube.com/product_description.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Mobil web site indicate their synthetic grease has lithium based thickners, which is Petroleum based. If your read the application, looks like the Mobil 1 grease is more suitable for metal on metal applications.

From their web site:

It is particularly suited for applications such as:

Disc brake wheel bearings
Ball and steering joints
Universal joints

http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_Grease.asp

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I'm expiriencing some squicking/rubbing noise as well, I'm bone Stock thou. I'm guessing it's coming from my bushings? Is it the bushings that make that noise when I go over bumps/dips or is it some other part of my suspension? Any ideas, I was thinking as well to lube them when it warms up. It's probably noisier when the Temps are low.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I removed the stock bushings, I noticed the factory did put grease on the bushings. It was a clear grease similar to what is posted above. Try it out. Remove the bushings and clean out both surfaces then apply the grease.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
SilverF16 said:
When I removed the stock bushings, I noticed the factory did put grease on the bushings. It was a clear grease similar to what is posted above. Try it out. Remove the bushings and clean out both surfaces then apply the grease.
That's what I'm planning on doing, when I change Rotors/Pads in a month or so. I'm guessing it's the bushings or some other rubber parts. Because when it's raining and you hit some water, it stops making the noise ( water lubricates them), that's my theory, but what do I know :pissed:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
monkeypee said:
Sorry to threadjack, but if you hear some squeaking noise when you BRAKE and come to a stop, you think that is due to sway bar bushing?
It's not squeaking noise, or neither is it when I'm braking, if you are talking to me :pissed: It's more of a noise when the suspension flexes, you go over a dip or a bump, I'm anal like that so I pick up anything that's not usual. 95% people out there will not hear this noise.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Try this,

I picked up some L-Tuned sways from a my.is member last year (haven't installed yet), but I knew I'd need some grease for the bushings. I called eibach, told them I didn't receive the bushings or grease for my sway bars kit...and they sent me both free of charge in 3 business days. FANTASTIC.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
How about a Caliper Grease? I think it might be composed of graphite, teflon, not sure if it's a spin off with lithium. But from what the poster says lithium isn't good. But at the same time they recommend it for the rubber sleeves that cover your caliper pins, so wouldn't that degrade rubber with time as well. But I guess what they banking on it will take so much time (many, many years) that you no longer will own a vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want silicone grease go to any inteligent hardware store and see the plumbing people. they sell this stuff in mini tubs. silicone grease is thick and sticky. plumbers use this stuff for greasing RUBBER O-rings, Packings and whatever rubbers they use to extend their life. If you want to spend more money you can buy a similar substance from a swimming pool store. they sell a O-ring sealer/lube for much much more.

Hotchkis sways come with a silicone type grease very similar to the plumbers grease.

No squeeks here!!!

·
Premium Member
13,761 Posts
i'm having a bit of a time trying to find this, althouhg i might be going to the wrong places. will stop by home depot racing (or lowes) tomorrow, hopefully find a hot chick and tell her i need super lube and if she can help me out with that. hope she doesnt think im fhaey.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
DonCorleone said:
i'm having a bit of a time trying to find this, althouhg i might be going to the wrong places. will stop by home depot racing (or lowes) tomorrow, hopefully find a hot chick and tell her i need super lube and if she can help me out with that. hope she doesnt think im fhaey.
Don, I bought a couple tubes on Ebay. They are ~$8/ea shipped.

·
Nygmatic
2,572 Posts
i have mobil1 synthetic grease and it has worked fine for me for the past 3 years....quit complaining and go drive your cars!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.