Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know that this button is supposed to give a boost of gas to all cylinders but to be perfectly honest, I cant tell the difference in pick up or overall speed. Is this button really useful and if so, where do you see its benefit or am I just looking for the wrong things when I activiate it.
MrLux IS Webpage

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh the PWR button works. I did repeated testing. The immediate difference I noticed was PWR allows me to kick down 2 gears when you step on the gas pedal to accelerate. That's the response I would prefer in the IS (on a daily basis). But I can't afford it with the soaring gas price.

·
8,880 Posts
One of the things it does is upshifting from higher RPMs.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
as far as I knew, the PWR button jut changes the behavior of the shifting. i.e. shifting down to the lowest possible gear when you boot it, then upshifting at the redline. by doing this it should maximize acceleration in all situations(and gas usage). i didn't think it boosted the gas to the cylinders.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just one question for all - How often do you use your Power button, is it bad to have it on at all the time? Or just use it whenever you needed to(I always have it on full time).
And please don't come back with a "DO a Search" or "RTFM" cause since we are on this topic. Thanks

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
im pretty sure no damage is done keepin it on power all the time, you just use more gas beacuse it keeps the RPMs higher than usual...thats all

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
THIS IS AN ACTUAL FACT!

with the SRT intake you actually get BETTER gas milage with the PWR button on all the time. I have personally tested this and MO at SRT had told me this as well

i am getting on a average of 18-18.5 MPG and that like 60% city and 40% hwy

i was getting 15-16mpg before i found this out

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I use it 24/7 with the exception of when I'm driving long distance, or carrying a heavy/un-areodynamic load. Then it's just a wast a fuel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
THIS IS AN ACTUAL FACT!

with the SRT intake you actually get BETTER gas milage with the PWR button on all the time. I have personally tested this and MO at SRT had told me this as well

i am getting on a average of 18-18.5 MPG and that like 60% city and 40% hwy

i was getting 15-16mpg before i found this out
The good news for me is, I still could be able to get some where between 17-18 MPG W/O SRT intake and yes that's including 40% local driving.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by TNguyenIS300:
The good news for me is, I still could be able to get some where between 17-18 MPG W/O SRT intake and yes that's including 40% local driving.
I was getting TERRIBLE mpg before i got the intake....16mpg was the best, and like 17mpg on the hwy....its weird but everyone i know that got an intake got better mpg from it

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
the intakes are great - added performance and MPG! its only natural though - it is a much healthier addition onto the engine. clean air is much better than dirty air, hence the performance will increase, and with the piggyback ECU - the AF Ratio is optimized.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
I was getting TERRIBLE mpg before i got the intake
I never get bad mpg on my car before, I guest cause my car still new ---> 2,500 miles on it now. Plus it was manufactured on 5/01, and I never have to do the ECU/Trac reflash. Problem free so far !!! (knock on wood !!)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by scoot557:
the intakes are great - added performance and MPG! its only natural though - it is a much healthier addition onto the engine. clean air is much better than dirty air, hence the performance will increase, and with the piggyback ECU - the AF Ratio is optimized.
Man!!! you guy really make me thinking about the SRT intake W/piggyback ECU now....Plus SRT is having a special deal now for something like $625 BUT is this including the biggyback ECU or thats a seperate deal...????

·
11,061 Posts
Get this: When I had the ECU/Trac updates installed, the service manager told me that I'd have to leave the PWR button on all the time to get optimal performance from the upgrade. He told me that if I didn't leave it on it "just won't work right".
I've been experimenting... the car does feel a little better with the PWR button engaged. I haven't checked the mileage difference yet to see if it's worth it for the daily commute.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by TNguyenIS300:
Man!!! you guy really make me thinking about the SRT intake W/piggyback ECU now....Plus SRT is having a special deal now for something like $625 BUT is this including the biggyback ECU or thats a seperate deal...????
The ECU override is included in the price, hence $625.
I'll show the intake to ya when we have the meet next Sat. It's a nice li'l thingy.

It makes the engine louder, though. I just love it. So do my friends.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Hey TNguyenIS300,

User aust182 is trying to get a group buy going on the SRT intakes for less than the $625. Contact him on here if you're getting serious about the SRT intake, last I knew, we were looking for two more people to get the group buy going.

let him know if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
BTW: the SRT intake only comes with the piggy back ECU, they don't sell them seperately. So, yes to your question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know much about cars.. but if this SRT intake is soo great how come it doesn't come stock... I mean surly the is300's target audience is within the right age group.. are there any disadvantages to having the SRT intake? any at all? does it cut down on the engine life or anything like that?

any info would be appreciated.. if it's really all that then I'll hafta start saving up again

1 - 20 of 25 Posts