Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
very nice. not much information to spread around right now, but its good to get it in place now. I registered.

5 Posts
I just got a brand new '08 iS350, and I am absolutely blown away. I mean, holy shit balls! Ladies and Gentlemen excuse my bad language. I cant believe that I really own this particular car. Wow!...

5 Posts
Back to the issue at hand. The iS-F is going to be one of the fastest luxury sedan's to hit any pavement or highway amid this world. The car I believe has over 400hp. I love the quad exhaust tips. The handling is considered to be phenomial. I assume that the car should run low 12's, possibly break into the 11second 1/4 mile club. Does anyone know what the is350 runs. I think its around 13.4

·
Registered
1 Posts
The quad exhaust pipes are, indeed, cool. Very nice design. Look good, too. However.... there's been lotsa reports made about how they ain't even connected up to the pipes! What? JEEEZ! Like (see?) they're just some short tubes poking through the bumpers... an' that's all... and have nothing to do with the exaust system. Like... they're jus' for show... an' not for blow. Weird, huh? BUT... I have seen that Lexus refers to them, like (let'see?)... as as resonators. Or... a term like that. Like, like... they are not just the product of a short-changed idiot's design... and gypo construction... but serve to dynamically effect the sound quality of the V8 engine.

And that seems reasonable to me. Positioned as they are, how could they not have such an effect? And... that could be way cool, too. A nice expression of advanced design... and thinking. Nice touch. Truely.

SINCE the car has nothing obviously otherwise fake about it... i.e., Buick port-holes in the hood, for example... that don't actually do anything... it seems reasonable, to me, that the cool (albeit, detached) exauhst tips of the IS-F do actually have a planned-for genuine purpose. Eh?

·
27,116 Posts
Interesting post above...

Anyways... there are four exits for the muffler system on the IS-F. These mufflers are positioned so that the exhaust will exit thru the tips in the bumper. Lexus couldn't rigidly connect the exhaust to the bumper because the exhaust moves around alot and would damage the rear bumper. They probably didn't want to have four muffler tips coming out of the bumper because of the movement the mufflers would have. This is both for visual impact and probably space tolerances as well.

I really don't think the whole exhaust tip thing is a big deal... many cars have decorative tips. What matters is that the actual exhaust system has four functioning exits. If anything... it can be seen as a positive that this is the only issue people can really hate on about this car.

I've just seen the car in person this weekend... and this supposed "Beluga Whale" hood bulge and "Ricer" side-vents that people see in pics really do not appear that way when you view the car in person. It really looks like a beefed up IS350. This is a great car!

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
I've just seen the car in person this weekend... and this supposed "Beluga Whale" hood bulge and "Ricer" side-vents that people see in pics really do not appear that way when you view the car in person. It really looks like a beefed up IS350. This is a great car!

Exactly! A couple of the people that, like you, saw the car in person for the first time this weekend (at Florida's Moroso IS F Performance Experience in this case) made that precise comment.

·
Registered
289 Posts
True, the ISF is beautiful in person. Yes the tips are not connected but neither are the tips in the LS either. Aw hell, as someone else pointed out on this forum, if we want to be picky, the Lamborghini Murcielago doesn't have a connected exhaust tip. But they're sexy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
IS F Exhuast Tips

I assumed the exhaust tips were not connected as with everyone else I just accepted the rumors. So I decided to put them to the test myself after taking delivery, to see if I could feel any exhaust air coming thru them, and sure enough they almost melted my hand(metaphorically) when I placed them near. If those tips are not connected then my IS F must be playing mind games with me.

As with any car on a cold morning smoke dispenses out from the exhaust due to the warm vs.cold air ratio. It's not cheech and chong in my backseat, those exhaust tips are fully functional....very evident by the m3 owners sullen face behind me thinking "8spd?..416hp?....game over".

08 IS F Smoky Granite Mica

·
Geezer
52,611 Posts
They got the first ISF in at Huntsville Lexus last week. A guy came in and looked at it, and said he was going to go drive a BMW M. A couple of hours later he came back and wrote a check for the ISF.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts