Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a car next summer, for the wife. I am looking at an IS300, M-B C or a new Volvo S60.

I was hoping that somebody has seen the S60 in person or maybe even driven one. Volvo released a statement that they will be building a 300hp version of the car with AWD.

I would appreciate anyone that can provide a good, intelligent comparison, similar to the excellent comparison with the BMW330 in another topic.

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd be very careful ... unless you don't care about reliability. Consumer Reports no longer recommends its predecessor (the S70) because of falling reliability.

from Consumer Reports: "The 70-Series is competitive, even though it's beginning to show its age. The V70 wagon replacement is now available and is based on the impressive S80. The old S70's major
problem is a stiff ride. The GLT is the version of choice. It comes with a "light pressure" turbocharged five-cylinder engine that's powerful and reasonably economical. Handling is competent, and the brakes are powerful. The seats are comfortable, and the trunk is roomy. All-wheel drive is available, but it takes its toll on acceleration and fuel economy. Recently reliability has taken a turn for the worse, and we no longer recommend this model. The sedan replacement will be called S60."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree about Volvo reliability. Every one I know who has had a Volvo has had problems with them (especially with the AC)And, Volvos are expensive to repair.

I expect that Ford will eventually straighten out Volvo the way they did with Jaguar (i.e., put Ford engines, transmissions, and wiring harnesses in them) but until then stay away unless you don't mind expensive repair bills.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Information on the new Volvo is limited, but from what I have seen the best way to think of the car is simply a smaller version of the S80. The car will be bigger than the Lexus, MB, BMW, or Audi, but will also not be quite the handler either.

Hey, it's a Volvo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is some good info at www.volvospy.com It is based on the S80 platform which has been receiving some pretty good praise for quality. And I heard the 300hp version will cost around $36k, maybe less with European Delivery.

My big problem is the lack of a center armrest in the IS. It's the little things that drive me nuts. For example, I drive a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4wd TRD off-road package. Cost me $25k and there is no clock in the damn thing! Drives me nuts! One of the major reasons I am waiting until next year is for the armrest that might be in the 2002 model year IS.

My main question is just how 'sport' the Volvo sport suspension is or will be. And how the ride compares to the IS. So if anyone has driven an S60 that can provide a comparison, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The S80 has a terrible reliability record. In particular, the automatic transmission (that I believe comes from Cadillac) has a very high failure rate.

On the other hand, the S60 probably won't have a transverse mounted inline six driving the front wheels, and thus, no GM parts. Still, I'd steer clear of new Volvo models until their reliability has been established

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
There's a review of the S60 in one of the Euro magazines at Borders - Autocar, CAR, or Top Gear, forget which. The interior is absolutely gorgeous, best of any car under 50 grand I'd say, and the 'spaceball' 5 speed manual is really cool. It's going to be Volvo's sportiest model, more than C70 even, but it's still not a good handler compared to the IS, 3 series, 5 series etc.
Top engine is 236 hp 2.3L turbo - probably from the C70. Beautiful car, probably very nice to drive, as long as you keep it off the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts