Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
10172Subscribers and readers of the print edition of the January 22, 2007 issue of AutoWeek magazine were surely flabbergasted to read, on page 22, these excerpts from their short blurb on the Lexus IS-F from their 2007 Detroit Auto Show coverage: "The car has a top speed of 200 mph...Toyota will build less than 1000 for the United States." While we fervently wish such performance and exclusivity were, indeed, true (especially at the rumored $50,000 price), don't count on it. My.IS member (and ClubLexus editor) Flipside909, who attended the Detroit Auto Show press conference for the IS-F world debut, had an opportunity to ask Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Bob Carter, among many other things, the projected top speed for the Lexus IS-F. Mr. Carter replied that, while this is one of many specifications that have not yet been finalized, the goal was 160 mph. There is certainly strong logic for this number, since no Japanese carmaker subscribes to the German sedan makers' (and, probably, Jaguar's) informal, gentlemen's agreement on a 250 km/h (155 mph) top speed. From that to a 200 mph top speed, however, stretches credibility. Even mega-sedans whose makers don't subscribe to the 155 mph gentlemen's agreement, such as the Maserati Quattroporte and Bentley Continental Flying Spur don't quite hit the 200 mph bogey. And there surely has to be demand for more than 1000 IS-Fs a year. The only rational explanation for all this, of course, is an editing error by the folks at AutoWeek where those top speed and production numbers were for the production version of the Lexus LF-A supercar but accidentally wound up in the IS-F section. Keep an eye out for the next print issue (or the one after that) of AutoWeek, where surely a publisher's or errors note to that effect should clarify all this.

Attachments

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
The only rational explanation for all this, of course, is an editing error by the folks at AutoWeek where those top speed and production numbers were for the production version of the Lexus LF-A supercar but accidentally wound up in the IS-F section. Keep an eye out for the next print issue (or the one after that) of AutoWeek, where surely a publisher's or errors note to that effect should clarify all this.
That's exactly what happened. They mixed up the LF-A stats and the IS-F stats. With a 8-speed automatic, 200mph might be attainable, but not with this car. I think the LF-A will use the same transmission and acquire those numbers, but it will have more displacement and power.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have to say that the more I see and hear about the LF-A, the more I think I'll forget the IS-F and go for this instead. It looks amazing and i have no doubt that it will be as fast as it needs to be. it should be a highly reliable alternative to the Aston. I keep hearing an unsubstantiated rumour from the folks at Autocar that, in addition to the V-10 LF-A version, there will also be a hybrid drive version - yes, you heard that right - A V8 married to an electric motor. Performance shouldn't be far off the V10, but the economy should leave quite a few jaws slack and wide.

I suspect that in addition to the IS-F, it can only be am atter of time before a hybrid IS puts in an apppearance.

(Joaquin, please could you edit your post and stick an alternative picture of the IS-F to the one you have used. This one simply doesn't do it justice.)

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Joaquin, please could you edit your post and stick an alternative picture of the IS-F to the one you have used. This one simply doesn't do it justice.)
:lol: I chose that one because it shows the IS-F in motion (not at 200 mph, presumably). ;)

<P>If you have a better suggestion, by all means PM me, post it here or send me the link, and I'll gladly change it.

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just 1000 per year? why???
Reread my article carefully. The just 1000 per year figure is really meant for the LF-A 2-seat sports car (with an expected MSRP no lower than $120,000) and NOT the IS-F.

·
Registered
41 Posts
AutoWeek is definitely wrong. One needs to simply look at the IS-F gauges, as the speedometer doesn't even go up to 200mph. They likely mixed up the LF-A figures with the IS-F.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I have to say that the more I see and hear about the LF-A, the more I think I'll forget the IS-F and go for this instead. It looks amazing and i have no doubt that it will be as fast as it needs to be. it should be a highly reliable alternative to the Aston. I keep hearing an unsubstantiated rumour from the folks at Autocar that, in addition to the V-10 LF-A version, there will also be a hybrid drive version - yes, you heard that right - A V8 married to an electric motor. Performance shouldn't be far off the V10, but the economy should leave quite a few jaws slack and wide.

<P>I suspect that in addition to the IS-F, it can only be am atter of time before a hybrid IS puts in an apppearance.

<P>(Joaquin, please could you edit your post and stick an alternative picture of the IS-F to the one you have used. This one simply doesn't do it justice.)
<P>I believe what is causing some confusion is that simultaneously with the LF-A we are seeing "SUPRA" mockups & show cars as well...

<P>The specs for these seem to be getting confused like in that article and now I am confused...BUT.. Here is what I think is happening:

<P>ONE will be the HYBRID vehicle...V8/Electric, etc... not sure based on what I have seen if it is more likely the Lexus LF-A or the New Supra.

<P>ONE will be the V10/F1 High output design

<P>BOTH should be similar in Power output but I think I read that the V-10 would produce more power...I would think the V-10 motor, based on some F1 technology should be the most powerful and 'sexy' & thus be in the Top Model suggesting that would be the Lexus...but then, LEXUS HAS embraced the Hybrid options fairly conspicuously recently with the new models...... so Who the Freek knows.... maybe the drivetrains will be mostly interchangeable... :)

<P>Should be fun to see what happens...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The IS-F is impressive but I have to see it in person to be the judge of it. I would love to make it my new ride, trust me, but first things first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts