Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The IS350 was just tested by MotorWeek! Thanks to XanaduSC for the find and jet864 for the transcribing:

XanaduSC said:

Here is the info I found. It's episode #2506. It's cool that you can order a video too in case you miss it.

Can't link the website as it's a pop up. Here are the details.

MotorWeek #2506
Hummer H3
Web site: http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/

Episode description: Road test the smaller but still robust 2006 Hummer H3 and the all-new 2006 Lexus IS350.

More about MotorWeek...

Rating: [TV-G] General Audience

Airs: (All times EDT) Saturday, Oct 15 at 4:00 pm
Saturday, Oct 15 at 4:30 pm
Sunday, Oct 16 at 3:00 pm
Wednesday, Oct 19 at 4:00 pm

Video:
$19.95 plus $4.95 shipping per episode; MD residents add 5% sales tax.
Maryland Public Television
(800) 873-6154
11767 Owings Mills Boulevard
Owings Mills, MD 21117
jet864 said:
"'Butter smooth' describes the IS 350's V-6 and, as you can gather from its 5.5 0-to-60 times, it's quicker than just quick. This is a full second faster than a 330i and the 280-horse G35. The six-speed auto is a worthy partner; shifts are crisp without being harsh in Drive mode or when playing the paddles."

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I ain't buying a motorweek show... can somebody turn it into a video file and host it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
A full second faster in the 0-60mph than a G35. That is quite amazing seeing as the IS350 is Automatic.

Maybe I wont buy a IS300 right now, Ill just wait for the IS350. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't find it on that site. Please help. If it is on a popup, you still might be able to add the address bar to find its address.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
RealThor said:
I can't find it on that site. Please help. If it is on a popup, you still might be able to add the address bar to find its address.
couldn't either :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it was Oct. Issue of Motor Trend that tested the 5.5 sec 0-60

"This just in...October's Motor Trend clocked the IS going 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, doing the quarter in [email protected] They say despite the large advantage in acceleration, for an all-out driver's car, it's still the 330i. Their complaints are too many electronics and no stick. No scanner, but I'll post a pic in a few."

I think it was confused with MotorWeek because it was said in that thread....i made that same mistake

O well doesn't matter now because Car & Driver tested 5.1 secs 0-60!!!!

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Wow, so you mean a car with more horsepower, more torque, and priced higher, is faster than a car that costs ~10k less? Amazing!

Cmon, this is like BMW comparing the 330i to the IS300.

And of course they will put the 330i over the IS350...they are in bed with BMW.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
magoo said:
Wow, so you mean a car with more horsepower, more torque, and priced higher, is faster than a car that costs ~10k less? Amazing!

Cmon, this is like BMW comparing the 330i to the IS300.

And of course they will put the 330i over the IS350...they are in bed with BMW.
I think comparing a 330 to an IS350 is a very fair test... the 330 costs more than the 350 FYI

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
HoustonLex said:
I think comparing a 330 to an IS350 is a very fair test... the 330 costs more than the 350 FYI
I said IS300...;)

I know, 330i to 350 is a very fair comparison.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
A nice comparison for the IS250 is the C230. Both come with 2.5l V6s and are about evenly priced...of course the C is due for a redesign for its 07 model.

Chan

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
So it begins the long line of number 2s.good job lexus was a manual that hard ? and an on off switch? noooo.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Sentinel said:
So it begins the long line of number 2s.good job lexus was a manual that hard ? and an on off switch? noooo.
I'm going to say this again. A manual transmission was not warranted on the IS350 due to the low demand. The IS350 is ~20% of overall sales, and manuals are produced in low numbers. So lets be liberal and say 20% of the IS350s would be sold as manuals. Thats 4% of overall sales. Even if they sell 30,000 ISxxx a year, thats going to be 1200 manuals a year.

Do you really think R&D on a manual would cost less than the profits derived from selling a manual version of the IS? If so, please stay away from any business I ever invest in.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
magoo said:
I'm going to say this again. A manual transmission was not warranted on the IS350 due to the low demand. The IS350 is ~20% of overall sales, and manuals are produced in low numbers. So lets be liberal and say 20% of the IS350s would be sold as manuals. Thats 4% of overall sales. Even if they sell 30,000 ISxxx a year, thats going to be 1200 manuals a year.

Do you really think R&D on a manual would cost less than the profits derived from selling a manual version of the IS? If so, please stay away from any business I ever invest in.

-Marketing Director For Lexus

Fixed it for you

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Who the fuck are you and why do I care what you said the first second or 1900 time. With the update in gas mileage lexus will sell more is350 over seas. And if you leave america standard cars are the norm and automatics the rarity. Why can bmw and infinity put 6 spd in there cars and lexus not(lack of money)? The fact is offering a manual will increase sales of the cars over all, people who would of bought the manual will by the auto. But now people who want a manual will go straight to BMW or Infinity.

Not to mention it will loose points on every comparo for not offering one. Now coming in second on every comparo do you think that will impact sales? Or having magazines say the BMW is the "fun" car of the segment?

R&D? I thought the is250 and i350 are similar enough that a tranny could be interchangeable between them?

magoo said:

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Sentinel said:
Who the fuck are you and why do I care what you said the first second or 1900 time. With the update in gas mileage lexus will sell more is350 over seas. And if you leave america standard cars are the norm and automatics the rarity. Why can bmw and infinity put 6 spd in there cars and lexus not(lack of money)? The fact is offering a manual will increase sales of the cars over all, people who would of bought the manual will by the auto. But now people who want a manual will go straight to BMW or Infinity.

Not to mention it will loose points on every comparo for not offering one. Now coming in second on every comparo do you think that will impact sales? Or having magazines say the BMW is the "fun" car of the segment?

R&D? I thought the is250 and i350 are similar enough that a tranny could be interchangeable between them?

No genius, they can do that because in Europe BMW owns the segment.

I dont see the Mercedes AMG class losing comparisons between them and the M series.

PS - Check my posts, I actually did mention the manual "theory" before they released that press release.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
And infinity? I wasnt talking about 60K + cars, the demographic are different.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts