Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, we need a real club name--any ideas?
next, the IS300 racing class will kick off officialy next year (in about a month, really!) and will follow the following schedule:
http://is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13325497

please RSVP for the events you wish to attend via the speedventures site, there will be info on the site specifically for us soon!

Please, if you wish to be part of the "inner circle," PM me with your e-mail address and i will make sure everyone gets a head up before the races or for planning SoCal BBQ's and such!!

e-mail me or fluxen with questions/concerns!!
:D :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
these will be the guidelines for our class/club/whatever you want to call it!

*best to print out to read it all easily*

No changes are allowed to a car unless they are listed below. If a component or other modification is listed below, any type (or size) of that component is allowed, unless otherwise noted (ie. "sway bar" means adjustable or non-adjustable allowed).

STOCK
Tires: up to 275 width rear tire, 120+ treadwear
Stock wheels only
Alignment – any setting
Any brake pad
Any modification to stock rotors (cross-drilling, cryotreating, etc.)
Any brake fluid
Brake ducting allowed
Brakelines
Any air filter
Any cat-back exhaust
X-brace
Modified stock throttle body
Strut-tower brace
Rear brace
Thermostat
Radiator cap
Heat Shield
Rollbars, seats, or any other safety equipment allowed
Removal of any part not listed above is allowed, as long as it is not replaced with an aftermarket or modified stock version.

MODIFIED (same as Stock + up to 100 points from Points Listing provided below)

PRODUCTION (up to 200 points allowed)

UNLIMITED (Anything goes, including any tire, no points limitations)

NOTE: please bear in mind that the points below do not strictly reflect the performance value of each modification on the track, they also reflect the cost of the modification.

Modifications & Points
Turbocharger 100
Supercharger 100
Internal Mods to stock motor 100
Non-spec Competition Tires* 100
Transmission Mods/replacement 75
Shocks & Springs 75
Spec Competition Tires* 50
Shocks (w/stock springs only) 25
ECU/Ignition Control 25
Remove Catalytic Converter 25
Piggy Backing 25
Final Drive gear change 25
Differential 25
Any wheels 20
Hardtop 20
Springs (w/stock shocks only) 15
Any Intake 15
Calipers & Rotors 15
V-TEC Controller 15
Front swaybar 15
Aerodynamic additions 10 (all other than hardtop)
Hood (carbon fiber, etc.) 10
Rear swaybar 10
Flywheel 10
Header 10
Clutch 5

* Spec Competition tires are any of the four make/models listed here, no others. Allowed make/models are: Kumho Victoracer/V700; Toyo RA-1; Yokohama A032r, Micheline Pilot Cup Sport (???). Max width rear for all tires = 275.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think you're missing the fact that there were already quite a few points-series racers on this forum before you and fluxen arrived. :wink:

So I would recommend against calling it the "IS300 Racing Club", at least for now. Supposing most people who you think are participating flakes (trust me, it's not out of the realm of possibility considering past attempts at organizing a racing club), it would be kind of awkward if a few new racers were calling themselves "the IS300 Racing Club" while the majority of existing experienced IS racers weren't. Alternatively, even if this club succeeds, it will be comprised mostly of newbies. You need to honestly assess what will happen at an event. I would not be surprised if other racers, perhaps even some in IS's not part of this club, wipes this club all over the floor. I don't think anyone would be too pleased if that club was the official-sounding "IS300 Racing Club".

So some Acura boy goes , "ha, I just wiped the floor with those poseurs of the IS300 Racing Club." Not good.

So I suggest a regular-sounding club name. If it becomes obvious later on that this is the predominant club encompassing all the IS300 racers, and there is some genuine talent, then represent the car properly and changing the name to it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off-TRAC said:
I think you're missing the fact that there were already quite a few points-series racers on this forum before you and fluxen arrived. :wink:

So I would recommend against calling it the "IS300 Racing Club", at least for now. Supposing most people who you think are participating flakes (trust me, it's not out of the realm of possibility considering past attempts at organizing a racing club), it would be kind of awkward if a few new racers were calling themselves "the IS300 Racing Club" while the majority of existing experienced IS racers weren't. Alternatively, even if this club succeeds, it will be comprised mostly of newbies. You need to honestly assess what will happen at an event. I would not be surprised if other racers, perhaps even some in IS's not part of this club, wipes this club all over the floor. I don't think anyone would be too pleased if that club was the official-sounding "IS300 Racing Club".

So some Acura boy goes , "ha, I just wiped the floor with those poseurs of the IS300 Racing Club." Not good.

So I suggest a regular-sounding club name. If it becomes obvious later on that this is the predominant club encompassing all the IS300 racers, and there is some genuine talent, then represent the car properly and changing the name to it.
well, thank you for all that positive feedback... i can tell you are certainly excited...
after years of working on setting up autoX's with the PCA (porsche club), i look forward to doing the same with IS300's. further, we have the full support of a national organization that specializes in setting up class races with only like cars competing. in your haste to put down our attempt you missed that this is a for-fun autoX organization that puts IS300 against IS300. if that doesn't sound fun to you, then you can simply enjoy us as a social member--bring some beans or something to one of our future BBQ's.

we don't have a name yet, or was i not clear? sorry for the confusion... i thought we could all vote on a name once a certain pattern of regulars began attending events.

and lastly, i don't mind if everyone flakes... believe that i'll have a great time at every event with or without you, or anyone else that pays online for their trackday and fails to show up. you did realize that individuals pay before coming...
worst case scenario, there will always be my car, my g/f's car and fluxen's car... and of course you are still invited.
any other concerns?

oh, and as an afterthought, don't labor under the delusion that because beside my screen name it says newbie that i--or anyone else for that matter--am not serious about enjoying this whole thing. even you are a "newbie," but i'd never presume that to reflect on your skills or personality...

·
Registered
416 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:
well, thank you for all that positive feedback... i can tell you are certainly excited...
after years of working on setting up autoX's with the PCA (porsche club), i look forward to doing the same with IS300's. further, we have the full support of a national organization that specializes in setting up class races with only like cars competing. in your haste to put down our attempt you missed that this is a for-fun autoX organization that puts IS300 against IS300. if that doesn't sound fun to you, then you can simply enjoy us as a social member--bring some beans or something to one of our future BBQ's.

we don't have a name yet, or was i not clear? sorry for the confusion... i thought we could all vote on a name once a certain pattern of regulars began attending events.

and lastly, i don't mind if everyone flakes... believe that i'll have a great time at every event with or without you, or anyone else that pays online for their trackday and fails to show up. you did realize that individuals pay before coming...
worst case scenario, there will always be my car, my g/f's car and fluxen's car... and of course you are still invited.
any other concerns?

oh, and as an afterthought, don't labor under the delusion that because beside my screen name it says newbie that i--or anyone else for that matter--am not serious about enjoying this whole thing. even you are a "newbie," but i'd never presume that to reflect on your skills or personality...
I'll refrain from responding to allow you to check for my response to your PM.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off-TRAC said:
I would not be surprised if other racers, perhaps even some in IS's not part of this club, wipes this club all over the floor. I don't think anyone would be too pleased if that club was the official-sounding "IS300 Racing Club".

please refer to my post from speed ventures:
Of course the IS300 classes would then have their own 2003 Championship points race and year-end Championship trophies. It's a fun way to create a tight group of car owners who consistently compete with one another at the track. It's surprising how tight the group becomes when they get a challenge series going...you should see the S2000 group.

i guess with any luck we can be as tight as the honda group! and as you can see, it would only be is300 vs. is300... all year, every race.
sounds fun, huh!

·
Registered
541 Posts
The term autoX is a little misleading. Most people think of autoX's as competitions held on small coned-off courses in parking lots. What you're talking about here are time trials at real race tracks. It's not wheel-to-wheel racing, but it's not autocross either.

By the way, if folks want to get some practice in before the first event in January at Infineon (AKA Sears Point), check out the TracQuest event on Dec. 9 & 10. Although TracQuest is pricier than some groups, the great instruction, food, and incredible amounts of track time make it a great deal:

http://www.tracquest.com

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
What ever the terms are & whatever the hell you call it.........
(except for like... "the Circle Jerkers" or some shit like THAT!) .,............

I Am In

I will steal the time for events & such when the sched, office & wallet allows but am very interested in this deal & wanna get involved, i'd LOVE to 'race' the car on track so count me IN...

Also,......... I calculate my car has "110 points" or so with my Mods.....

what does this exactly MEAN....??

...obviously a handicap of sorts ....?

edgy

ed G.

·
Registered
61 Posts
edgy said:
Also,......... I calculate my car has "110 points" or so with my Mods.....

what does this exactly MEAN....??

...obviously a handicap of sorts ....?

ed G.
Your points determine which IS300 sub-class you'll be running in (eg: Mod, Mod-R, Production, etc). Keep in mind, however, that the classing above was draft number 1, we're currently on draft #2 in this thread: http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13325391

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would like to join, but I can't afford to start traveling for events. Especially since I'm dedicated to autocrossing in Solo2. On top of that I'm considering on buying another car for racing since I was an idiot and listened to the advise of too many people and bought an auto, that coupled with not wanting to wait 4 to 6 months and paying full retail.

One thing you will find are a lot of one event wonders. I've been trying to get people to start autocrossing but no one has really commited to doing it. There are 2 other people (locally) that have an intention of becoming consistant though. Most of the people that say they will show never do :( It's sad.

·
Registered
416 Posts
BTW Chris, I see you made it into the Dec. 14th practice. I'm on the waiting list. :pissed:

(Yes, yet another persona for a new year.)

I'm wondering whether I even want to stick around to do Sunday since my new springs have yet to arrive (yes, more springs), and I have the option of going to Vegas that weekend with the family. To see Cher, of all performers. :-? :boring:

I hear you on the automatic sentiments. The autotranny is one of the best (if not the best) examples of a slushbox that I have personally ever driven, except I keep finding myself pining for a low-option (definitely no moonroof, and possibly no power/leather seats either) manual to transfer all my parts and development into. Ugh. I guess the grass is always greener...

Do you know if Daniel and/or JW is planning on attending Sunday?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I think I can make the next autox since I'll be done with my undergrad for good. :crazy: It'll be my first free weekend that coincides with an autox...whoo hoo!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Off-TRAC said:
BTW Chris, I see you made it into the Dec. 14th practice. I'm on the waiting list. :pissed:
I send in a check the day the info is posted or the day after. So far I haven't failed to get into a practice. Hopefully that luck will continue. I new I was in this practice back in october when the info was released.

[qupte="Off-Trac"]
(I hear you on the automatic sentiments. The autotranny is one of the best (if not the best) examples of a slushbox that I have personally ever driven, except I keep finding myself pining for a low-option (definitely no moonroof, and possibly no power/leather seats either) manual to transfer all my parts and development into. Ugh. I guess the grass is always greener...
[/quote]

My search for a new car lead to a 95 M3 because of it's engine size and dominance of BSP and SM. I went and test drove a 97 (to compare the different engine to a 95) and loved it. The 95 I was able to find and drive wasn't nearly in as good condition. 95 M3's start around 14k, but that is for one that has been pretty beaten up by the owner. So to get a decent one I would have to spend at least 20k. At 20k I figured I might as well go and extra 2k for a used IS. So far the cheapest manual IS I've seen is 27k. After a lot of consideration that is just too much for a dedicated race car. The other thing is trying to find one without a sun roof is nearly impossible, but an option I must have for a race car. I'm too tall for my car as it is, and my helmet hits the roof while I drive so that I can't sit down properly.

For now I'm going to stick with my IS, and maybe hope that someone will feel nice and decide to sell their car for super cheap (any car so long as it's cheap enough). Oh and I've also thought of going into a partnership with someone to buy a race car, but that is a tricky situation and I'm not sure who is willing and what cost is involved.

·
Registered
416 Posts
christobol said:
So to get a decent one I would have to spend at least 20k. At 20k I figured I might as well go and extra 2k for a used IS. So far the cheapest manual IS I've seen is 27k. After a lot of consideration that is just too much for a dedicated race car. The other thing is trying to find one without a sun roof is nearly impossible, but an option I must have for a race car. I'm too tall for my car as it is, and my helmet hits the roof while I drive so that I can't sit down properly.

For now I'm going to stick with my IS, and maybe hope that someone will feel nice and decide to sell their car for super cheap (any car so long as it's cheap enough). Oh and I've also thought of going into a partnership with someone to buy a race car, but that is a tricky situation and I'm not sure who is willing and what cost is involved.
A dedicated race car? I wouldn't try with an IS300. Not enough chassis development out there. They do have a spec-Altezza series in Japan (the Netz Cup, I believe), but noe of the stuff will work right on the heavier IS300. You'd have better luck with a Spec Miata or any of the older 3-series. Consider all the problems I've been running into just trying to get a sport/race STX car to work right. :bitching:

I dunno if I'm going to make Sunday, JW. The whole thing is that I'm #21 on the Saturday's waiting list. And the alternative to spending the weekend racing is spending the weekend eating gourmet meals in LV. :p

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I need all the seat time I can get, so I'm definitely planning on attending on Sunday. This next event is at Hollywood Park, right?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
edgy said:
What ever the terms are & whatever the hell you call it.........
(except for like... "the Circle Jerkers" or some shit like THAT!) .,............

I Am In
okay, one vote against circle jerks... duely noted.

any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to all those that have expressed an interest in speedventures:
i'm sorry for the lack of contact, i have just one more week of school left and then i can begin the organizing of all of us that want this to happen.
anyone who has posted interest, i am going to add your name to mass mailings about the is300 class. if you have not posted interest, please pm me or e-mail me and let me know that you want a heads up on whats happening so i can add you to the list!

thanks for your patience!!
i look forward to meeting everyone soon and having a fun 2003 racing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Frydryce
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing