Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I didn't learn on my own is300. And I'm not proud of it either. I've ruined some people's cars by trying to learn how to drive manual on theirs. It's just with the is300 I always thought it would be the easiest car to drive stick in, and believed the car was so advanced it would basically shift and drive itself for you. After all, the is300 is basically the car that put paddle shifters on the map and made them universally recognized.

But I was always about keeping it OG. I always wanted to learn how to drive 5 speed manual because then you were able to rev up the motor and go over speed bumps sideways without looking stupid. A 5 speed just gives off the impression it's lower than it actually is. I've never seen anyone go over a speed bump sideways in an automatic, I don't care how low their car was, it just didn't happen. You'd hear the initial scrape and that was it, they'd leave it at that and deal with the initial scrapes because they didn't want to be seen going over a speed bump, or pulling out of a drive way sideways in an automatic. People would just tell you your shits not that low stop over exaggerating and being dramatic, and on the same token roast your ride for bottoming out.

Not to go off track, and this was 2-3 years back so I was basically a kid at the time. But I didn't know any better and didn't think I was actually doing anything wrong. I always heard about how bulletproof people would claim these cars to be, so if they were so confident in them like that, they shouldn't have a problem with me putting them to the test. So anyway, I was basically searching craigslist for anyone selling a 5 speed, and I'd hit them up off the basis that I was interested in potentially buying so that I could test drive and learn how to drive a manual before I actually bought one. I didn't want to learn on any other type of car either and at the time people's asking prices were way too high so I knew I couldn't actually buy one out right.

So I'd bring a buddy of mine who knew how to drive stick, and have him play the part of the mechanic and I'd flash around $1k in 20's wrapped by a $100 bill, which they thought was $5-6k in cash and I'd say if it checks out and nothings wrong with it I had the rest in the bank, and for the most part they always flipped us the keys. My friend would drive it off, and we'd switch seats a couple blocks away and I'd try to learn how to drive manual in the short 20-25 minutes I had to work with each time.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing at the time, and it wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. I was throwing it in gears and forgetting to have the clutch engaged and hear this loud and ugly KKKKrRRR, probably grinded the crap out of the syncros, I remember being at a stop light and forgetting I left it in gear and releasing the clutch making the car jump dead and damn near rear end the car infront of me, it was a nightmare. I can't tell you how many clutches I burnt up. I could've took a 90% clutch and turned it into a 40-50% clutch in no time. I just didn't know how to drive that well.

I remember one time I brought this guys car back with a knock in it and he flipped out demanding I pay for it, I told him f*** no it was already like that. I felt bad but what can I do? I offered to buy the car $3-4k off his asking price based off the issues that I would now have to address($2k motor, $750 transmission, $1k-1500 in labor) and he wasn't having it. I was planning on finishing up learning on it, then do a GTE swap once it finally crapped out but this guy was fuming and seeing red, and my offer and negotiations only seemed to piss him off more.

He turned into an asshole and started acting like my offer was insulting to him. But I told him when I have to factor in the timing belt and water pump job, which him delaying is probably what caused the engine to start knocking, that my offer was more than fair. And if he had a problem with it he could cancel his subscription to Car & Driver magazine for all I cared. He was being extremely disrespectful and almost hostile at that point so I didn't feel as bad as I otherwise would have.

Again, this was when I was a kid and didn't really see what I was doing as wrong. We all make mistakes and have done things in the past we wouldn't do today. You have to understand this was just my dream car for the longest and I wanted to learn how to drive manual that badly. Now Im a little older and mature and looking back, know it was pretty messed up. I'm just sharing this with you all so you may learn something from it and give you all a heads up, just be careful if you ever go to sell it. Nobody is ever going to take care of your car, as well as you're going to. So keep that in mind if you ever let anyone else drive it no matter what the reason. Thanks and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow.

Just, wow. I put a new clutch in my truck back in HS, and let a buddy drive it one night who swore he knew how to drive a clutch. He brought it back 20 minutes later smelling like it was already burnt out and I was ready to beat some a**. He offered to help put in a new one, but after driving (me) driving it for another 30 minutes the smell went away and never came back. I'd be pissed if I found out what you were doing though. I kind of understand, when I let my buddy drive my truck, it was because we were toilet papering somebody's house, and he was driving the truck around the block to come pick us back up in a few minutes. We all do dumb stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts