Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my IS to the limit: 144 all I can say is damb this car is fast!!! 0-60 is may not be all that it is hyped but this car is amazing at high speed. Acceleration at 90+ is in my opinion comparable to any vehicle out there!

------------------
Spectra Blue
Black Leather Ecsaine

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
guess you haven't driven a turbo'ed car yet

can't say much for the top speed of the IS tho...i'm still trying to break mine in...*sigh*
------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

[This message has been edited by HyperMKIV (edited November 04, 2000).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
The IS is drag (or horsepower) limited to around 144. I've only gotten mine to about 135 mph. Need more road.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
yeah, i guess the term "fast" is relative to your standard of reference...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
still a relative topic.
Clam isn't it interested that your M3 is governed at 137 mph, which means that an IS300 would pass you by at 144mph.... I think the M3 is limited by gearing to just over 140mph (without the govenor).. Too bad there's no 6th gear ratio in the E36....
Eric....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think BMW governs their top speed for safety reasons.

You guys shouldn't be driving a street car that fast...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
TEG,
Although the E36 M3 is goverend to 137mph, its actual top speed is around 140mph due to the relatively short 5th gear and the absense of the 6th gear..
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
. Acceleration at 90+ is in my opinion comparable to any vehicle out there!

You have a lot of company are you pretty sure about that? Cool that someone has actually run the car up to its topspeed, I suspect it would be a pretty well mannered car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The IS _is_ fast above 90mph. I drove my friends car the other day because I took my S4 in for service. I still think that all the IS people need to make an effort to get performance shops to make a nice supercharger or turbo kit for the IS. I love the way my S4 pulls hard at any speed once the turbos are spooled up and I'm in the right gear (6 to choose from).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
actually from waht i've read, the m3 is governed at 155, not 137(those are the newer car's governor.) either way, the top speed of the m3 is about 145(i dont' know exactly waht it is) and you also have to remember how fast you get to taht top speed, and how long you're really going to stay there. either way, i'm not sure if i'd consider the m3 fast, it's quick and "fast" for streets, but on the top speed the engine is pretty weak.

Originally posted by EricK:
still a relative topic.
Clam isn't it interested that your M3 is governed at 137 mph, which means that an IS300 would pass you by at 144mph.... I think the M3 is limited by gearing to just over 140mph (without the govenor).. Too bad there's no 6th gear ratio in the E36....
Eric....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If your gonna make it a fist fight the M3 is gonna walk away from the IS in every category end of story. There is no fair comparison between these two cars.

Clam, a dude in an M3 coupe gave me a run the other night. He stayed with me on the on-ramp and then blew past me when I backed out.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
actually from waht i've read, the m3 is governed at 155, not 137(those are the newer car's governor.) either way, the top speed of the m3 is about 145(i dont' know exactly waht it is) and you also have to remember how fast you get to taht top speed, and how long you're really going to stay there. either way, i'm not sure if i'd consider the m3 fast, it's quick and "fast" for streets, but on the top speed the engine is pretty weak.

Clam I'm disappointed in you man.... I thought you would know more about your car. I know for a fact from several auto publications that the E36 BMW M3 is governed to 137mph (from 1995-1999)...
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
oh my bad, i guess its the euro version limited at 155 or something. i dunno, oh well
Yes the E36 Euro version was governed at 155mph but keep in mind that car had 326 horsepower (1995-1999) compared with 240 hp version that came here...
Eric...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Doug:
You have a lot of company are you pretty sure about that? Cool that someone has actually run the car up to its topspeed, I suspect it would be a pretty well mannered car.
Very stable at top speed (only had it there for a second or two). Steering control/feedback is well tuned for high speed driving. Lexus did an excelent job in weight distribution and stability of the IS300. I should clarify that when I stated acceleration is comparable I failed to mention 'in it's comparable class' no way was I trying to compare to 50K+ sports cars

------------------
Spectra Blue
Black Leather Ecsaine

[This message has been edited by BLUEBYU (edited November 04, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts