Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question.......I put the car into M mode and it goes it 5 ......and i can drive like its normal D mode......whats the difference between using the D mode and using the M 5 mode?........thanks nicky

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I don't think there is any difference at all between M/5 and D. It's possible that the shift logic might be different, but I don't think so. I drive in M/5 most of the time, so I can downshift when necessary...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
219 Posts
How it works is that when in M mode, the car will automatically shift up to that point. For example, if the car is in M/3, the car will auto-shift 1st, snd, and 3rd. After it reaches 3rd, it will not shift to 4. You have to press the shift button. If you are in M/5 the car basically drives the same as in D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it matter if you use the M- mode for shifting if you also have the ECT power button enabled?

Since the M mode lets you control the shift levels? wouldn't it be the same? I seem to get better performance in the M mode over the ECT in D..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Out of habbit, I always drive with "ECT PWR" on, and in M-5 mode.

A few times I put it in "D" just to see if it seemed any different, but it felt just about the same as "M-5" (it still shifted at redline when using full throttle).

I think the transmission ECU is supposed to "learn your driving habits". So an IS300 normally driven "sedately" may behave differently than one which is routinely driven aggressively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing