Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question.......I put the car into M mode and it goes it 5 ......and i can drive like its normal D mode......whats the difference between using the D mode and using the M 5 mode?........thanks nicky

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I don't think there is any difference at all between M/5 and D. It's possible that the shift logic might be different, but I don't think so. I drive in M/5 most of the time, so I can downshift when necessary...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
219 Posts
How it works is that when in M mode, the car will automatically shift up to that point. For example, if the car is in M/3, the car will auto-shift 1st, snd, and 3rd. After it reaches 3rd, it will not shift to 4. You have to press the shift button. If you are in M/5 the car basically drives the same as in D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it matter if you use the M- mode for shifting if you also have the ECT power button enabled?

Since the M mode lets you control the shift levels? wouldn't it be the same? I seem to get better performance in the M mode over the ECT in D..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Out of habbit, I always drive with "ECT PWR" on, and in M-5 mode.

A few times I put it in "D" just to see if it seemed any different, but it felt just about the same as "M-5" (it still shifted at redline when using full throttle).

I think the transmission ECU is supposed to "learn your driving habits". So an IS300 normally driven "sedately" may behave differently than one which is routinely driven aggressively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts