Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

When I arrived at my Lexus dealership to pick up my car when the service was complete, I did a walk around to make sure everything was cool. It was a good thing that I did because I discovered that my back right HRE 446 wheel was rashed! :eek: I'm talking about almost half the freaking diameter of the wheel! Now, the dealer was cool and quick to say that they would repair it but I'm curious if anyone knows the procedure to fix the aluminum lip of a 3 piece wheel. I'm guessing that they grind down the metal, buff and polish the aluminum lip but the scratches are pretty deep. Won't there be a noticable difference in appearance around the damaged area because of the removed material? If this is the case, I'd rather get a new wheel because the wheel was unblemished when it arrived there. Maybe there's some type of 'aluminum bondo' that's used so the lip doesn't lose any of it's depth. I have no clue here. I pose this question to the knowledgeable folks on this board.

Thanks in advance.

-Mofo

·
Registered
683 Posts
MofoNinja said:
Hello everyone.

When I arrived at my Lexus dealership to pick up my car when the service was complete, I did a walk around to make sure everything was cool. It was a good thing that I did because I discovered that my back right HRE 446 wheel was rashed! :eek: I'm talking about almost half the freaking diameter of the wheel! Now, the dealer was cool and quick to say that they would repair it but I'm curious if anyone knows the procedure to fix the aluminum lip of a 3 piece wheel. I'm guessing that they grind down the metal, buff and polish the aluminum lip but the scratches are pretty deep. Won't there be a noticable difference in appearance around the damaged area because of the removed material? If this is the case, I'd rather get a new wheel because the wheel was unblemished when it arrived there. Maybe there's some type of 'aluminum bondo' that's used so the lip doesn't lose any of it's depth. I have no clue here. I pose this question to the knowledgeable folks on this board.

Thanks in advance.

-Mofo
if they do a good job fixing it, there shouldnt be a noticeable differance. i personally would ask them to replace the lip...its a 3 piece wheel, so hre should be able to send you just the lip of the wheel, if thats all thats curbed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Suggestion

That's a great suggestion Noobie. I'll add that to the list of possible options for them!

-Mofo

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Repairing polish lips aren't that difficult as long as the curb rash isn't that deep. Just get some high grit sand paper and sand it down then repolish the lip. I curbed my iForged a while ago and fixed them. But if I was you I'd tell the dealership to pay for a new lip and labor to replace it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Suggestion

That's a great suggestion Noobie. I'll add that to the list of possible options for them!

-Mofo

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I think that you have to ship the wheel back to HRE to get the new piece put on. The rims are sealed inside the wheels and would have to be resealed. Don't hesitate to hold the dealers feet to the fire on this. They screwed them up and should pay up, too!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

Hey guys.

I wanted to say thanks for all the advice and wanted to inform everyone that there is a happy ending to all of this. The dealer is going to ship the wheel back to HRE to get a replacement lip and they are, of course, covering the cost and giving me a loaner vehicle in the meantime.

Again, thanks for the suggestions for it definitely helped me get the most out of a not-so-cool situation.

Lambchop, CRB, & Noobie... Ya'll ROCK :chill:

-Mofo

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
HRE's are sooooooo expensive luckily you took a peak around your car before you left, and so if you did leave without checking and notice when you got home and you took it back to the dealer they would have said you did it yourself! But good thing the dealer is fixing it for you.

-ringo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts