Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys and girls, I think I found the virtually perfect short shifter setup. When all is said and done it might be a little on the expensive side, ($450 new, about $325 used) but in my mind, worth every penny. Here's what it consists of:

1 PHR short shifter. I ended up liking this shifter much better than the PLP, primarily because it was MUCH more quiet. The throws were not quite as crisp as the PLP and the shift knob was not very attractive, but because it didn't have the chattering/buzzing/rattling that the PLP had, it became my obvious choice. In addition I liked the fact that it was about 1/2 inch shorter than the PLP. Here is the comprehensive review I did on both shifters. http://is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13367503&highlight=buzzing

1 Momo sphere aluminum shift knob. To solve the ugly knob problem, I purchased one of these. Not only does it dramatically improve the appearance, but it also gives the shifter a much better feel. I would say its about 50% bigger than the stock knob and it is also much heavier. When I received it, I didn't think I would like the added size and weight, but upon installation I was extremely happy with the look and feel. Shifts became much more crisp and precise as well.

1 Momo shift boot. This is a must to go along with the knob as it allows the knob to slide further down the shaft compared to how low it would go if one were to use the stock shift boot. Also, the boot is threaded at the top to allow it to screw right into the shift knob. The leather looks great and appears to be a higher quality than the stock boot.

In order to put all this together, I had to do some modifications. Because the threaded portion of the PHR shifter is so thick, the bushings that came with the MOMO knob wouldn't allow it to fit. So I picked up some 5/8 inch clear hose.....the kind that people might use for fish tanks....and used that as a bushing. It was a perfect fit into the momo knob and fit snugly over the PHR shifter. By using this, all I had to do was screw the knob on thereby creating a thread pattern in the plastic hose. As a result, there was no need for me to fuss with the allen screws that came with the MOMO knob. The fit was perfect as is and allowed me to unscrew the knob at will.

If there is one reason why this setup is only "almost" perfect, it is because I still do get a very small amount of chatter in 2nd and 3rd gear above 5000 rpm. To be clear however, it is hardly noticeable when the radio is off, and not noticable at all if the radio is on even at low levels. I personally paid about $325 for all the items listed above, and feel that this was by far the best money paid for any mod that I've done to my car.

So for all you people out there looking for a great short shifter solution, rejoice and be glad. You have found it here. Peace be with you, my brothers and sisters. :D

Here are the pics! TSopranoMB took these for me when I went to pick up a racepipe from him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm glad you like the PHR better, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to buy the PLP off of you :D

Congrats on the new set-up

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clover said:
I'm glad you like the PHR better, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to buy the PLP off of you :D

Congrats on the new set-up
Haha....thanks. Hope you're enjoying the shifter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts