Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the all season tires on the 11 spoke 17s, sometimes when driving into a corner too fast the car mite fish tail or understeer. The dealer guy said that even tho these are all seasons, ther still perf. oreinted. This is more of a rant than a question. And considering the salesman (mad nice, easy to work with and talk) didn't even know the car had memory seats. much less how to work some things in the car. i think its bs.(the perf. all season thing)

i plan on gettin 18s and real tires in the summer but jus wantd to b***h about this. i have less than 750 miles on the car and i can already feel the car's weaknesses and having the urge to correct them or make the car better.....

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: --->feeling like an idiot, thanks, but i just needed to get it out of my system. stupid tires.... and i want these to be my winter rims+tires. blah

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
dont use the re92 in the winter, they slip like shit for me in teh rain

·
8,849 Posts
ChinoXS203 said:
dont use the re92 in the winter, they slip like sh*t for me in teh rain
Ditto! :pissed:

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
the car came with all-seasons, and now you are regretting the decision.... i understand the frustration.... but dont take it out on lexus... they obviously have the no cost option of summer tires... you should have gotten them if you wanted them...

plus, dont worry, i only got 10k miles out of my first set, so you would have been on here in a few months wishing you got the all seasons, cause you cant believe how shitty mileage you got on the lexus stock summers...

some people are just never happy...

gp buy a set of Goodyear GSD's and enjoy...

·
8,849 Posts
No no-cost option for us. All of the new IS300s come with all-season tires in our area.
It makes sence considering how many people would try to drive in snow on summer tires. It is a good precaution measure.
Those that want performance, can always upgrade their tires when the original set is worn out.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
vlad_a said:
No no-cost option for us. All of the new IS300s come with all-season tires in our area.
It makes sence considering how many people would try to drive in snow on summer tires. It is a good precaution measure.
Those that want performance, can always upgrade their tires when the original set is worn out.
most of us get new rims anyway - so new tires are usually purchased as well.

·
11,054 Posts
I just put all seasons on mine...but they're GOOD ones... (see sig below)

Just take $850 and get a set. :wink:

...they'll be adequate on light snow, but don't expect snow tires...

·
8,849 Posts
bartkat said:
My car came from Metro Brookpark with Dunlop 9000 tires.
It depends on the year.
My original 2001 (One of the very first few) had Potenza RE040 summer tires. The 2003 one has all-season tires. No more summer tires option on Lexus.com.
The way it was supposed to work, Lexus would offer 16" rims all-season tires for people that were not into performance. The 17"s were summer tires for better handling. The plan failed because short of s0yb0mb, who is riding 17" now anyway, nobody opted for 16" wheels.

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
vlad_a said:
bartkat said:
My car came from Metro Brookpark with Dunlop 9000 tires.
It depends on the year.
My original 2001 (One of the very first few) had Potenza RE040 summer tires. The 2003 one has all-season tires. No more summer tires option on Lexus.com.
The way it was supposed to work, Lexus would offer 16" rims all-season tires for people that were not into performance. The 17"s were summer tires for better handling. The plan failed because short of s0yb0mb, who is riding 17" now anyway, nobody opted for 16" wheels.
I see. Mine was originally titled in May, 2002.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had the choice of 17" summer or 16" all season. I also picked the 17" Dunlop 9000. Bought 16" wheels(4) and winter Blizzaks WS-50 from Tirerack and the Lexus dealer stores them. Helps both sets last longer.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't get me wrong, i got all seasons on purpose. I WANT THESE TO BE MY WINTER TIRES + RIMS. I have no right to b***h about it, but u kno when your taking a curve or a corner fast, and u can feel small amts of understeer (before it happens) hard to explain but i know its the tires. I may be young, but i nitpick lil things out of cars. Things most ppl would never notice.

The tires are good, for all season tires, i just hope ther good enuf in the snow. hehe i remember my 88 accord w/ all season tires doing 360s and im trying to go as slow as possible... plus the understeer. i hit a sign at 3 mph b/c the car just started sliding, AND YES ITS FWD. As long as these tires hold up in bad weather, ill be happy. In the summer hopefully i'll get a set of 18s and some sticky rubber. possibly do a drop as well, but not sure as of yet.

As for traction, ther very good, just doing some stuff that is well beyond what most ppl would do, (take a U curve at 50 mph) it'll show some weakness but i wanted to get 18s anyway so blah. This got long and i didn't mean for it, i originally just wanted to vent my :pissed: self a lil bit. You can't have your cake and eat it too...peace

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
btw, i live in NY, so i really wanted the all seasons, especialy since i hear this winter is gonna be tough...(i live on long island not upstate otherwise i wouldve never considered a rwd sports sedan)

·
Registered
384 Posts
damn 2 bad for me i work in westchester. hope it doesnt get too bad or metro north my ass 2 work. i just bought the sumitomo htr+. i heard good thing about them for winter(ultra perm all seas)

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
Don't even think about driving in the snow with SP9000 or RE040. If you do, you mind as well go buy some extra life insurance for you loved ones. :-?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hahahaha, are they that bad? :lol: , ud think all season meant it'll be good on snow. don't worry i caught on to the idea that this car may be really bad in snow if thers SNOW TRACTION BUTTON! , ive nvr seen that b4. im prolly gonna drive the van if it gets bad. BUT I CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIFT WHEN IT SNOWS, YAY. which isn't exactly a good idea to do on the highway but eh. hehe

·
11,054 Posts
Paki_Sleepa said:
hahahaha, are they that bad? :lol: , ud think all season meant it'll be good on snow. don't worry i caught on to the idea that this car may be really bad in snow if thers SNOW TRACTION BUTTON! , ive nvr seen that b4. im prolly gonna drive the van if it gets bad. BUT I CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIFT WHEN IT SNOWS, YAY. which isn't exactly a good idea to do on the highway but eh. hehe

The "snow" button merely changes the point at which the car shifts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.