Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a BMW fan (owned a 3 series once), but today I test drove a 1998 740i. I was passing by a Honda dealership and saw one with a $39K sticker on it. Considering this is the biggest car BMW makes, I thought it was a good deal - a 2 yr old car for just $39K?!?! So I stopped by and took it for a spin. To my dismay, the car gravely disappointed me. It had more electrical problems that I knew existed, and there was too much road/wind noise inside the cabin. I flipped the visor, and it started vibrating - as if the car was over a decade old. Although sluggish at first, the car seemed torquy as it shifted to second gear.
I expected it to be a lot better though. The car had too many problems for a 2 year old car. Way too many for a $65K car. The ash tray flap didn't close, the cupholders in the back weren't functioning right, there were too many lights (visor, door, etc) that were out...and overall the car didn't feel taught and sturdy, at least as I expected. There was a significant number of vibrations.
It had a mere 49K miles on it, but it seemed much older and beat up. I suppose the drive didn't take the best care of it, but the car appeared to be in good shape - just didn't feel that way.
All in all, I was not impressed with the car.
Perhaps the 2002 740 should make up the deficiencies that this car has/had.
Note: I love BMWs

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
My mother drives a 2000 BMW 740iL (with BMW factory 18inch wheels)... What a piece of SH!T. BMW's are mechanical nightmares. She has 17K miles on it and the rear view mirror fell off (exposing the rain sensor) and had to be resealed. The NAV was shot (which also includes radio functions and on board computer. Then another time the car didn't start and my mom had to call BMW roadside assistance....Keep in mind this is a 2000 model year car and my parents take extremely good car of their cars. It's nothing in comparison to my dad's new S500 Sport... Every single BMW my parents have owned since the mid 80's were the same story..BMW's are CLUNKY from our experiences. My parents continue to buy them because they never keep it past the warranty periods (2-3 years). Great drivers cars when the work (that sums it up)...
Eric...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I guess my experience is a little different when it comes lto BMWs. I've had a Mazda Protege (junk), VW GTI VR6 (better). Currently have 318i and M Coupe, neither of these cars have given me much trouble.

The GTI kept leaking at the oil cooler seal (4 times still leaks), and protege just fell apart after 2 years of driving it.

The only problem with the 318i was the seat belt sensor and thus far the only problem with the M is the rear hatch button is broken.

I know I'll sound like a broken record but every car maker/model can/will have a lemon. Sounds like the previous owner of the 740i should have return the car to BMW. Or, have the problems repaired under the warranty, since all of the items mentioned are under warranty. Most likely the previous owner just drove it then traded in for something else so didn't care about the car.

EricK: I feel for you cause I know that one of the biggest problems with the 7 series is the electrical problem (specially if you have the Nav. system). I know several people with the Nav. system that just quit on them after the software upgrade myself.

Rick Kim
(waiting til end of next year to decide on the commute car

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I've had my '95 325 for a few weeks now, and it has a couple minor issues, one electrical (reverse lights) and one noise (steering wheel), which I'll have fixed when I get around to it. I have friends who've had BMWs for years with hardly any problems, maybe it depends on the model, or maybe it's luck. If my 5 year old BMW is unreliable over the next year, I'll just trade it for an IS300, a new model A4, the new Jaguar, or ideally a RWD Honda compact sedan.

Originally posted by EricK:
My mother drives a 2000 BMW 740iL (with BMW factory 18inch wheels)... What a piece of SH!T. BMW's are mechanical nightmares. Great drivers cars when the work (that sums it up)...
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
My parents have always bought 7 series models, so I'm assuming that the more technologically sophisticated BMW's are the troubled models... Now an Mcoupe... that would be a FUN car (from all I've read about the car). I like the styling too..
Eric....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
I've been a BMW fan (owned a 3 series once), but today I test drove a 1998 740i.
It had a mere 49K miles on it, but it seemed much older and beat up.
49K is a LOT of miles for a two-year old car! The owner must have driven the cr*p out of it. Ironically, the expensive 7-series is probably the least reliable of the BMW lines. If I were thinking 7-series, I'd think Mercedes or Lexus instead. The 3-series, on the other hand, has been a reliability champ.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You think 49k is a lot for a 2 year old car? Well, Ive had my 2k Eclipse for just over a year and I already have 43k.

Definitely time to trade up.

Originally posted by Young:
49K is a LOT of miles for a two-year old car! The owner must have driven the cr*p out of it. Ironically, the expensive 7-series is probably the least reliable of the BMW lines. If I were thinking 7-series, I'd think Mercedes or Lexus instead. The 3-series, on the other hand, has been a reliability champ.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm headed there myself. Got 10,500 hard miles on my car after 3 mos. I pity the poor fool who'll buy my car. ^_^

·
Registered
86 Posts
ummm... My IS has already had a problem that required it to return to the shop.. 3Times, for some reason all the gauges on the car would drop, without effecting the car. (it's strange to be doin' 70mph and have all your gauges quit working and drop, then pop on and off for no reason) They thought it was a loose connection, but to no avail. Finally during a weeklong process they ended up rewiring the entire dash. It's fixed now but they never completely identified the problem. (Supposedly I was sold the first in seattle which I picked up from a dealer before they even hit the showroom floor - since I had payed for it last February)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm unimpressed by the 7 Series. I have a customer in PA that had a 99 750iL, paint was peeling, had a lot of electrical problems. He finally ditched it for a 00 LS400.

As for mileage, my LS is 2 years old and I have almosy 75,000 miles

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

1 - 13 of 13 Posts