Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and got some news about TRD for IS and GS. I drove it yesterday while in Houston and here are my thoughts:
PROS
*Excellent hood design stealing a page out of the E class design
*Laser cruise control and park assist are dynamite and easy to use
*Mark Levinson stereo is absolutely ridiculous and you have controls of it via LCD flip panel in the back as well as control of front passenger a/c
*rear shade, side shade and quarter panel shade
*Heated and massaging seats work great and the power control back seats are not gimmicky
CONS
*Lackluster exterior styling that smacks of S class ripoff and does nothing to excite you
*TERRIBLE RIMS (I only saw a picture of the 17s and they look almost as bad)

I put my foot in it and it hauled butt yet was totally relaxed all the way to 100 when I let up. We carried a conversation with total ease at 90. No eshift is a shame but there is some absolutely beautiful and thoughtful touches in interior styling and ergonomics. This car is certainly less exciting than an S or 740il but then again it's less expensive, as fast or faster, more reliable (probably), and definitley has more features. Great car at 70K loaded up. I think it's absolutely worth it.

The owner of this dealership told me that TRD and Ltuned has promised many parts for the GS and IS but nothing has come to them. I'll let y'all know when exhaust and/or other parts become available and how much.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
imo, THAT'S one ugly car.

see, my problem with lexus has been that while they have always made very reliable cars, they've been soulless. uninspired. boring. the is300 is the first car that actually breaks that mold and does something exciting. everything else in the lexus lineup (excepting, perhaps, the gs400), is *yawn*.

my .02, crackerjacks

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Pimpee:
if lexus is boring, then what of acuras?
to be fair, acura has had it's share of yucks in my book -- hell, just about every company has. the only acura i've liked up until the current cl-s has been the integra type r. um, that's it. but me not liking the car, and the car being just plain boring (es300 anyone?), are two different things.

acura is moving in a very postive direction with the cl-s and mdx. and lexus is too, i might add, with the rx300 and is300. i applaud lexus getting bolder -- it's about time.

[This message has been edited by geoff (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Thanks for the review Brad. The All new LS430 is an instant success and is a bargin when comparing it the other competitors in its class....The BMW 740iL, Jaguar XJ8 L, Audi A8 L, and Mercedes Benz S430/S500. It has novel features and amenties that will please the hedonists as well as an engine that will out accelerate most of the competition. Then comes style.... In my opinion, like the all new C-class the new LS430 looks better in photos than it does it real life. I went to the dealership and saw a Black one with those grotesque wheels. I thought the car looked funny to me. It seemed too high and they tried to emulate the S-class with its front facia but they couldn't pull it off (not that elegant looking).. Nevertheless, I'm sure the looks will improve as we all get used to seeing them on the road. Well at least it looks better than the 2002 Infinity Q45 (ugly version of the IS300). The Japanese highline Luxury motor car competition is getting fierce with the new LS430 with it's dazzling features and amenities, Q45 with 340 horses capable of 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (so they claim), and the new V8 powered Acura RL.... The all new 2002 BMW 740iL better be good.... DAMN GOOD..
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 12, 2000).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts