Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I continue I would just like to say that these are only my opinions and are not intended to start any flame wars. So with that said I will start off by saying that the exterior of the car is unique and nice on the eyes. The only two things i did not like all that much was the front of the car it is kind of boring looking and does not go well with the overall look of the car specifically the rear, also the coffee can sized exhaust pipe has got to go. The interior although refreshingly different does not do anything for me especially the instrument panel which was all to busy and hard to read anything off of it without taking your eyes off the road for a good 5 seconds(bad). I also found the steering wheel to be to small and the seating position not very comfortable.
Now with the test drive it does not get any better from here. First off the car did not respond the way i wanted it to which was very dissapointing. I tried stepping on gas in drive and in M mode and in both instances it took a good 3-5 seconds before the engine realized i pushed the gas(very bad). I never felt connected to the car and the handling seemed very much like that of the es300 which is very bland. I also did not care for the e-shift, i would have much preffered something more similar to BMW or Audi. Overall I pretty much hated this car with a few exceptions. I think this car would have been more suited with a toyata badge and is not deserving of the lexus name. It's too bad people will have to pay the premium because of the lexus name associated with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm sorry, but "Hated the car?"

That alone tells me that your taste, opinion, $0.02 or whatever you want to call "your feelings" is worthless.

Please don't consider this a flame, I simply think you have no taste and in a country where no taste rules, I'm sure you fit in nicely.

Go buy your bmw with the rest of 'em- we all know that the IS is one of those hot looking cars that boring folks with the cash to buy one wouldn't like anyway.

Seems to me this is a young car, folks who dig cool.

The bmw, audi, et. a. are wonderful cars, I loved their look the first million times I saw 'em. After that, it was as common as a Saturn- look a 3rd door- Whoa!!!

Kisses

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Yeah, I think this guy took a wrong turn. This kind of post is better suited to bimmer.org, which would be more aptly named poseur.org. Go back to your 318i automatic poseur-mobile and leave driver's cars to people that can appreciate them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Man, talk about your prototypical "why the IS sucks" post.

He couldn't have tried any harder to repeat the tired list of reasons.

Heh heh, have fun bud, it just means one less IS on the road for us.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
3-5 seconds??? Granted we know you like to exaggerate, but this exaggeration is just WAY OFF!!!!

If you wanna convince us, you really should have all the facts straight.....You know, you're not the only one who has test driven this car before.....We actually have something to refer to when you state your claims......

If the response was 3-5 seconds, I'm pretty sure Toyota/Lexus would've rejected it as design flaw!

Please do not consider this as a flame, but you really should have good reasons for backing up your not-so-objective claims.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dude, are you sure you test drove the IS300 ? I test drove both a 328i and the IS, and thought they were both pretty comparable.

--k

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited July 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
BTW, just for your information, this August issue of Road and Track has an article written on the 330ci/xi. I was just flipping through and saw the weight of the car: around 3400 to 3500lb! That is alot of weight for a car this size. Also, the price tag is way above IS. I am probably going to buy this issue and read it and think how great it is that I settle for the IS.
BTW, my brother, who has a fixed up C230 compressor right now, loved my car and said he should of wait and get this car. I guess I just turn another Mercede owner to Lexus lover now.

Daniel

·
Registered
94 Posts
IS 300 is being bland and boring. Holy crap, what da h-e-l-l are you driving now?

There is a reason why this car is selling like crazy!!

sklim1

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Salster:
Overall I pretty much hated this car with a few exceptions.
I find it very hard to believe that somebody without a basis of total bias could "hate" the IS. One may not love it or agree with all the details, but there's not a single core flaw to hate (except for the lack of a manual, but that's only with hardcore rowers).

Originally posted by Salster:
I think this car would have been more suited with a toyata badge and is not deserving of the lexus name.
Have you driven any other Lexus? We have two loaded late-model Lexi ('99 RX300 & '98 GS300) in the home, and I think I can say with a bit of authority that the IS is definitely on-par with these.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Yeah, saying you "hate" a car reveals your obvious bias. Although I did hate my mom's '86 Chevy Celebrity wagon w/ 4 speed manual, damn thing near killed me whenever it rained. Designed by a team of intoxicated monkeys if you ask me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
RTOFTLMAO ckolsen!

Just to add a fuel to the fire on the ongoing war against the IS, here's an extraploation from the latest 8/00 Automobile magazine:

On the new 330i's: "The engine is so frutful, so electric, that one wonders if BMW hasn't reached the end of its long journeytoward six-cylinder perfect....Unfortunately, those engineers also varnished the car's steering, which was perfect as it was and should have been left alone. Once a bastion of all that was right and true in automotive dynamics, the steering has been boosted beyond recognition, and this affects all 3-series models of June 2000."

On the new c320i: "The new MB c-lass looks, feels, and performans like a downsized s-class, sedam. It's that advanced and competant....zero to 62mph is achieved in 7.8 seconds...base price $36k, fully optioned $44k!"

Originally posted by ckolsen:
Although I did hate my mom's '86 Chevy Celebrity wagon w/ 4 speed manual, damn thing near killed me whenever it rained. Designed by a team of intoxicated monkeys if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Heh, thanks ST. That Celebrity soured me on American cars for life. That's a shame about the 3 series steering, that was my favorite part of that car. I'm thinking of buying a used E36 328i and driving it for 1-2 years til a 5spd IS comes out, or an L Sport IS300 if I hear of one. Lot of great cars coming out in a year, new Integra sedan (hope so), Impreza Turbo (sedan please!), IS 5 spd, Toyota Prius Sport. Just kidding about the Prius.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
also the coffee can sized exhaust pipe has got to go.
The exhaust tip is nowhere near coffee can sized, but it is larger than stock of almost any other car I've seen. But it looks nice, not huge.

I also found the steering wheel to be to small and the seating position not very comfortable.
What is the problem people have with small steering wheels? Why is that a problem? I LOVE this damn steering wheel. If you want a big wheel, go drive an eighteen wheeler. The 328 I drove at the performance tour had the absolute worst steering wheel - but at least it had stereo controls.

I tried stepping on gas in drive and in M mode and in both instances it took a good 3-5 seconds before the engine realized i pushed the gas(very bad).
Sorry, but in two weeks of ownership, this has never happened to me.

I never felt connected to the car and the handling seemed very much like that of the es300 which is very bland.
I drove an ES300 for five months prior to the IS - sorry, dude, but those two cars are as different as night and day.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
482 Posts
I tried stepping on gas in drive and in M mode and in both instances it took a good 3-5 seconds before the engine realized i pushed the gas(very bad).
Maybe he had the parking brake on. WTF?

This car is nothing like the ES300.

All I have to say is "get off the crack"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hmmm. I gotta tell you that auto tranny is so fast and so smooth. I was bummed about not being able to mash gears around but after two weeks... who cares. Maybe he had stepped the gears up to 5 at 20MPH, it would take awhile to feel the kick. Other wise the IS will take you from 55 to 110 in a blink of an eye. I'm amazed that between 55 and 90-ish the tach barely moves between 3k and 4k.

His comment on the interior being too busy is funny too. The IS is so simple, there's barely an interior compared to the average Bimmer. The E36 M3 looks like a DC9 comparably.

There's no accounting for taste.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
LSD, Black L/E
Moonroof, wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay maybe hate is too strong a word maybe it was more like a big disappointment to what I was expecting. My intentions of this post were not to put the IS300 in a negative light although after reading my post i could see how one might interpret it as a bash at the IS300 and for that I apoligize. I was just honestly expressing my opinions on my drive that day and for that i have no remorse. I mean for the money the IS300 is good buy compared to it's competition and I feel that Lexus in future years will refine and perfect this car. This just does not happen to be that time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts