Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
that 3 years of service you mentioned is in actuality only 2 services. the 1st one is at 15000 miles, and the second one is at 36000, i believe. Its not like lexus and the more frequent services. Also if you drive the BMW harder the service display recognizes this and lets you know that you sould go to service your car earlier. My 328i has about 4200 miles and the display tells me i need a service in 9000 miles so im gonna have to service it at 13000 instead of 15000. No big deal though, i was thinking about going even sooner.

After the included services, the remaining services are gonna cost you an arm and a leg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Smra,

as many of people here, I think you have a very good and unbioas review.

I have one problem though - this is a very lame way to jack up your post #'s.
kidding.

good job Smra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Originally posted by GPR:
Hey smra are you going to be test driving the 330xi whenever it comes out???
Yes I will, they will have one in up coming weeks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I am also trying to decide between the IS300 and the BMW so these posts are very helpful to me.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the IS300 was aimed at a younger driver (the edgy styling, the better stereo, firmer ride and the smaller trunk and back seat). The BMW is no more fun to drive, but its a little more comfortable, slightly more practical, and I definitely prefer the five speed manual over the Lexus's manumatic, which seems a little slow to respond manual imputs, and slightly hesitant in automatic mode.

I know that when buying a car that is more than basic transportation, it pretty much comes down to which one you like better, and perhaps which one will cost less to operate and keep its value better. On that score its a toss up. I checked with my insurance company and the BMW is actually less expensive to insure. Maintenance on the Beemer, after the first three years has got to be more expensive, and my guess is that the Lexus will have better resale value after four or five years because it will hold up better. (They both have great build quality but, the Lexus I test drove was absolutely rock solid).

I am leaning toward the BMW (mostly because I don't feel like waiting a year for an IS300 with a manual transmission). I am also a little annoyed that the Lexus dealer only has white and black cars to choose from, and definitely will not negotiate the price. The BMW has lots of cars from which to choose (including some 2000 328i's) and will negotiate -- a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Neil, the 330i is more practical? No sir. 330 is great but not more practical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Originally posted by smra:

Also, remember when several people were concerned about the "So-Called" Delay when "Flooring" the IS??
Well, the 330i has the SAME PERSONALITY when
STOMPED!! (Transmission )
But like I said before, neither of these cars needs to be STOMPED.....
They react better to the "Squeeze" method.
As you imply, when you stomp in the 330i, you're going to get kickdown (it shifts to a lower gear for more pulling power), explaining the delay. As for acceleration, the numbers "officially" are 6.9 for the 330i w/step and 7.1 for the IS; however, my experience has been that the 330i is noticeably faster, particularly when passing at speed. Subjective of course, but I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison some day in more controlled conditions than a street duel.

Originally posted by smra:
About the interior of the 330i.
I like it. Like I said earlier this is my FIRST experience with the BMW family.
The IS300's interior (To Me) is more Practical, and easy to use though....
Also the 330i has a Super Nice Arm Rest...Storage compartment. Also, if Im not mistaken, and I don't think I am, the 330i DOES NOT have Rear Seat Arm Rest Either...
Nor does it have a Rear Seat-Trunk Pass Through.
The pass-through (with ski bag included) comes with the rear-folding seat option. I think rear seat arms are standard. Many people don't notice them because they fold up flush into the rear seats. I have both of these features on my 330i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
By the way, if you're going to get the 330i, definitely get the sports package (includes sports suspension, tires). I haven't tried a 330i WITHOUT, but the 328i w/o sport that I tried didn't feel as nearly as composed on twisty roads as my 330i with sport. This is my first car with a sports-tuned suspension, and now I'll never by a car without.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Originally posted by smra:
Here are a few more details about the 330i:

The engine compartment of the 330i is Totally
Packed. Can't even SEE the Oil Filter (I don't Like This)
In my 525 (2.5L I-6) the oil filter was a little unusual. It was actually mounted on the top of the engine block. It was located under a circular metal cover with a single bolt in the center. Under this cover was the oil filter. It is actually a much easier to change that a standard oil filter IMHO. I am guessing that the oil filter on the 3.0L I-6 is the same since it is a derivative of the 2.5L I-6.

The only downside to this design is that the filter costs quite a bit more than a standard oil filter (about $7 as I recall).

-Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Originally posted by Young:
I think rear seat arms are standard. Many people don't notice them because they fold up flush into the rear seats. I have both of these features on my 330i.

[/B]
No, the folding rear seat & arm rest ARE NOT
standard....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
I was heavily considering the 330I as well, sedan with sport package and 5speed among others. In fact, I was fixated on that car for about a week..until it hit me.

This car is hella EXPENSIVE!
It's about 7-8k more than a loaded IS. Comparing these two is not fair. The 323/325 would be more of a fair comparison but those base models suck (vs. the 330), I would defintelety buy an IS anyday over those models.
Not to mention how expensive aftermarket for the BMW is. Hamman, AC schnitzer, ...they COST WAY too much.

Hands down, if money was not an issue, I would like a 330i over IS. However, in going with the IS, I would save that extra 8k and use it towards a supercharger, coilovers, ECU, etc and blow the doors easily off a 330...even maybe the M3???

But since money is an issue for me, I will have to get with the car that provides the most bang for the buck with the best aftermarket prospect....IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Believe me, Im not a BIG RACER but the IS300
will Blow the Doors off the 330i Stock!! (IMO) (My Reasons Below)

I have DRIVEN BOTH VEHICLES!!! The 330i is a Nice car and like I mentioned above have Quite a few more options than the IS300(Interior) But the performance of both cars are nearly Identical! (Well Not Really)
(IS300 has Smoother,Turbine Acceleration)than the 330i.
And I disagree with the post above pitting the IS300 with the "Older" bimmers..
The IS300 is VERY MUCH the equal to the 330i
minus a few "Interior Options"
BMW has the 330i 0-60 at 7.0 (Auto)
Top Speed 128mph...
Lexus has the IS300 0-60 at 7.1 (Auto)
Top Speed 144mph...
Actually the numbers above tell me the IS300 will flat out LEAVE THE 330i Behind on the Highway.... Comments......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
>> BMW has the 330i 0-60 at 7.0 (Auto)
>> Top Speed 128mph...
>> Lexus has the IS300 0-60 at 7.1 (Auto)
>> Top Speed 144mph...
>> >> Actually the numbers above tell me the IS300 will flat out LEAVE THE 330i Behind on the Highway.... Comments......

That 128MPH speed on the BMW is electronically controlled, so it might accelerate "briskly" right up until it hits the 128MPH limiter.

So - unless you are travelling over 128MPH - there is no reason to believe that the IS300 will "leave behind" the 330i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
It all depends how you look at it. The 323i with a five speed will do 0-60 in 7.1, and properly optioned, costs a little less than the IS 300. It also rides better, is available with a fold down back seat (and therefore is a little more practical)and stops and handles about on par with the IS300. A five speed 330i is considerably faster than the IS 300. See September issue of Motor Trend.

As for top speed, you could replace the chip that electronically governs the 330i and it would do about 145 mph. But how many places are there where you can drive that fast? On a trip to Utah I once reached comparable speeds driving through the desert east of Las Vegas -- but I would never try that in a populated area -- way too dangerous. Unless you go to the track, what's the point?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Teg,

Do you know if the IS3 is Electronically limited at 144mph or Drag Limited??
And I agree with you on your statement above... About Top End Speed....
Im just trying to convey the Fact that these
two cars are VERY EQUALLY MATCHED in performance....
Particularly IN ACCELERATION!
And if the two cars were to get out on a stretch of road and GO FOR IT the IS300 WOULD
eventually LEAVE THE 330i Behind...

Thats Logically Correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Originally posted by Neilr221:
A five speed 330i is considerably faster than the IS 300.

You Said It...(5spd vs Auto) What about a 5spd IS300??? Lets wait and see....



As for top speed, you could replace the chip that electronically governs the 330i and it would do about 145 mph.

Yes, and HOW MUCH MORE $$ will that "Mod" cost??
From what I've seen people post on this board about "Performance Mods" the IS300 can
ALSO be boosted.... So we're right back where
we started...


[/B]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Originally posted by smra:

BMW has the 330i 0-60 at 7.0 (Auto)
Top Speed 128mph...
Lexus has the IS300 0-60 at 7.1 (Auto)
Top Speed 144mph...
Actually the numbers above tell me the IS300 will flat out LEAVE THE 330i Behind on the Highway.... Comments......
No, the 330 has 6.9s for 0-60 according to BMW, not 7.0s. And I'd wager that it's a "real" 6.9s, not like the overly optimistic figure given by Lexus for the IS300.

As for top speed, it's electronically limited as someone mentioned. In Europe, the same car is electronically limited at 155 mph, indicating that the engine is capable of speeds greater than 155! The limiter is easily defeated with the right software. Finally, where the 330i REALLY shines is accelerating at highway speeds. It is a full half a second better from 50-70 mph than the 328i I believe, meaning it'd probably leave the IS300 in the dust on the freeways. Does Lexus publish their 50-70 or 70-90 figures?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
i'm sorry but the 328 was close competition with the is300 but the 330 will blow it away. if you think that the is300 will win/blow its doors off you're stupid.
 
21 - 40 of 104 Posts
Top