Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a fully loaded Solar Yellow IS300 at Metro Lexus in Cleveland. They have also have two black and one silver one, all sold to those on the waiting list.

The car looks much better in person as most who have seen it have said. The cars exterior build looks very solid. The HID lights and fog lights are like the GS. The rear of the car is impressive, with the large diameter tail pipe and lights. The only problems are those ugly lights on the sides of the front and rear bumpers, and the two different grill style on the front.

The interior styling is very good, but some of the plastic in the door, dash and center console feel sort of cheap. Personally I don't mind the interior. The only problem is the square shape of the dash isn't as nice as the more rounded dash on the ES. The chronograph stlye speedometer has a nice amber color when lit up. The climate control knobs are large and easy to control, as are the buttons for the radio/CD changer, and they are well marked. Unlike the small buttons on the BMW and Audi. The in-dash 6 CD changer is perhaps the best feature in my opinion. Does anyone know where the amp is located?

Sitting in the car you can feel how comfortable the seats are. Turning the car on revealed a nice sound from the muffler. The e-shift buttons respond immediately and the acceleration is very smooth and quick. High speed acceleration is very good, I was very impressed. I went from 60 mph to 90 mph in a few seconds without any hesitation from the car. Road noise is not as much as some of the car magazine reviewers state. Road noise is obviously more than an ES, but much less the than BMW 3 series and Audi A4. I went over a couple railroad crossings at about 35-40 mph without the car bottoming out.

My Ratings:

Exterior styling - A+
Interior styling - B+
Interior functionality - A
Handling - A
Acceleration - A+
Ride - A
Comfort - A

Those of you who have driven the IS300 what do you think, agree or disgree with my assessment? Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I understand there is no lumbar support. Are the seats ok without this feature? I like having that extra back support on longer drives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not notice if there was lumbar support. My ES has this feature and it is nice on long trips. Intial impression of the IS seats are that they are very comfortable but I don't know about long trips.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Went test drive yesterday, very nice car.

the only thing that piss me off is the "corolla" coin holder on the left side of the steering wheel.

Also the flat space where the Nav system used to sit in, is vertually useless!!!

other than that, I LOVE THIS CAR VERY MUCH!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
MAC, I agree 100% with your review. I also test drove the yellow IS300 at Metro Lexus on Tuesday. WOW what a car. Lived up to all my expectations and then some. Are you going to buy / lease the car? Have you received any pricing from the dealer? Any info would be great. Mine is due to arrive at the dealer in 2 weeks (silver with black) can't wait.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was very pleased with the way the car handled on my test drive yesterday. Very reminiscent of the BMW 325 I once owned. Look forward to driving mine home in a couple of weeks.

As someone recently initiated into Lexus-land, my RX300 has surpassed both my test drive and my expectations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going back to school, therefore it looks like at a year or two before I think about getting a car. I like the silver, graphite or blue with ivory interior. But I haven't seen a car with ivory interior so I am not sure how it looks. As far as pricing Metro said they will not sell below MSRP at least for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I test drove a black interior/exterior is300 yesterday. Here's my synopsis:
Interior +'s:
- NICE instrument panel!
- NICE 6 CD
- Seats are...well, for me, OK. Gotta get the automatic seats on this car.

Interior -'s:
- Top of dash board reflected on window (because of the trim for the flat surface). Very annoying.
- No place for right arm
- Dissapointing that the back seats don't drop
- Some cheap plastic parts
- A/C knobs were wobbly and seemed cheap

Exterior +'s
- Overall sweet look

Exterior -'s
- no passenger side key lock (I would want one)
- Grill seemed cheap
- no standard spoiler (I saw a custom added one which really looks good)

Drive +'s:
- Peppy. Good acceleration.
- Smooth shifting.
- Tight turning. Didn't notice any over- or under- steering problem.
- Great braking. Very responsive!
- The manual shifting worked well. Very smooth.
- Not all that quiet or loud. Comprable to the BMW 323i but worse than the GS300.

Drive -'s:
- Rough ride compared with the BMW 323i.
- The manual shifting on the wheel is annoying. It makes downshifting for a turn difficult. I prefer BMW's approach.

Overall, it was a fun car but just a little disapointing. I guess I was looking for something more like a 323i. This had more of a true sports car feel so the Lexus image of quiet and comfort didn't match at all. The car drives more like a Maxda RX than a BMW.

I would appreciate any comments especially comparing the is300 with the BMW 323i.

·
8,107 Posts
MAK, before today, I thought the interior was nasty, car understeers, exterior ok, but too civic like. THen today I did the IS300 driving event - autocrossed 4 laps in an IS300, and WOW, I love it. Seats are magnificent, some of the best seats in any car, handles awesome, as good as a BMW 328i w/ sport package, maybe even more nimble. It's quick, oversteers easily (with TRAC OFF), brakes are amazing, it goes exactly where you want, no other car I've driven except a 328i comes close. The interior's kind of gross, but looks very nice in person on the outside. In one day I went from planning to buy a 2001 BMW 330i, to waiting to buy a 5 speed IS300. THe car was THAT good. For the same price I'd buy the 330i, but for $32k (my estimate for 5 speed w/ leather + LSD) vs $38k for BMW, I'll take the Lexus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing