Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bro-in-law just leased a 528, and they gave him the above for one day as they prepped his car.

Although is is a x28, it has an inline 3.0. This one was an auto and it had 16 wheels.

The interior wasn't that great, it is slightly bigger than the SportCross. The dash seemed too high or you sit too low, I couldn't tell. The cargo area is slightly bigger as well as the trunk as the roof doesn't sloop down that much. No fancy doo-dads or electronic gadgets, as I thought would be in a BMW.

Outside it looks pretty good. Not a fan of the roof rack, but it is good looking car.

As for handling, I didn't think it was the ultimate driving machine. The steering was powered too much and didn't have any feel to it. The motivation felt slower than the IS, even though it is rated as having 15 more HP. When I turned it definitely felt like I was fighting it and not turning. It felt heavy.

Maybe because it was the 16 inch wheels and probably didn't have the sport package that BMX offers.

It does come in manual and it is an inline 6 so might be an option way down the road regardless. If I could pick up one used for the relative price I paid for my 3 year old SportCross, I would get one. Price on the one I tested was $37K, which is a lot of money I think. BMW nickles and dimes you for everything.

Pricing out used, the Audi S4 Avant seems like a better deal, as they are only $2-$4K more than a comparable (age and miles-wise) 328ix wagon.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Maybe because it was the 16 inch wheels and probably didn't have the sport package that BMX offers.

QUOTE]

God, I'd like to see it with the BMX package, that'd be sick!

Look something like this? But with 4 wheels?

Arent the "X" in BMW Xi mean its AWD? Maybe not.Wagon+ Manual trans with AWD would be awesome, but you absolutly right, they want too much for them. I'm not sure i'd like to maintain a BMW $$$wise, I know audi and volvo are RE-DONKULOUS to afford new parts for, I'd assume BMW=same.

My little tercel alltrac, errr I mean Sport Cross, is a fine vehicle BUT I would replace it with AWD IF it wasnt a subaru/audi/Volvo and was manual trans;)

Edit: I had a h*rdon for the legacy GT wagon (New one)with a manual trans but I have a deep disliking for subarus after working on them at the dealership= inferior to Toyota by far :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
interesting to see another persons input on the 328xi. the "X" does mean all wheel drive, the "I" stands for fuel injection (still cant figure out why they didnt drop this one yet)

i had a similiar feeling when I was stuck between the IS and the 3 series, a little more room but a much lest direct feeling on the car (steering, brakes were just on but the worst was the seating position though the seats were just as good as the IS i think) just never meshed with the 3

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, sorry BMW sport package.

No this wasn't an AWD version. My mistake, it was an "i", not an "xi".

The AWD does come in a manual though.

I like the Legacy GT wagon too, but they don't make the Legacy GT Wagon anymore, now it is the Outback XT Limited, with its raised stance and ugly body molding.

I wasn't going that fast, but the brakes did seem to be very good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts