Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove for the first time today an automatic 2002 IS. Although I'm looking to buy the manual, I wanted to test drive the automatic just to get the feel of the car. Some things that I was paying particular attention to were:
1) Pick-up and speed
2) Steering and suspension
I was very impressed with the way it handled turns and drove overall, however I'm kind of skeptical about speed. I recently test drove a manual V6 Jetta and found it to be very comparable to the speed of the IS. I was actually expecting the IS to have much better pick-up and speed, has anybody else experienced this also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Have you try to turn off the Traction Control, Power button ON, and shift to Manual(M) instead of D(Auto). Its will pickup better by doing that (atleast it does for me).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
That's BS, I've driven both a manual and an auto VR6 Jetta (2001)...found the engine to be puny, especially after initial pickup. It's not bad, but it runs out of power rather quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
That's BS, I've driven both a manual and an auto VR6 Jetta (2001)...found the engine to be puny, especially after initial pickup. It's not bad, but it runs out of power rather quickly.
I thought they've upgraded the VR6 to the euro spec ones for the 2002.....That will sure make a huge difference......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by altezzagirl:
I test drove for the first time today an automatic 2002 IS. Although I'm looking to buy the manual, I wanted to test drive the automatic just to get the feel of the car. Some things that I was paying particular attention to were:
1) Pick-up and speed
2) Steering and suspension
I was very impressed with the way it handled turns and drove overall, however I'm kind of skeptical about speed. I recently test drove a manual V6 Jetta and found it to be very comparable to the speed of the IS. I was actually expecting the IS to have much better pick-up and speed, has anybody else experienced this also?

The 2002 models are brand-new....the engine hasn't even started to break-in yet. Obviously the car's gonna feel sluggish and slow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
euro spec?? please explain this one.


Originally posted by dude:
I thought they've upgraded the VR6 to the euro spec ones for the 2002.....That will sure make a huge difference......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,523 Posts
There are two versions of the VR6 engine: one with 12 valves and another with 24 valves. Currently, the U.S. gets the 12-valve VR6, but Europe gets the 24-valve VR6.


Click for more info

Originally posted by IS300GTE:
euro spec?? please explain this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
sweet, did not know this. i always wondered why the had those 2 huge valves, instead of making it 4 valves per cylinder.
the crazy part is that it is now true DOHC, instead of twin cam like it was before. a true DOHC setup with only 2 cams is pretty complicated, i guess it is possible only because of the narrow angle v motor. now they just need to make it a NON interference motor for the 4 valve (if they haven't done it already, i know for a fact that the 2 valve per cylinder motor was) and it would be an almost perfectly designed motor.


Originally posted by JW:
There are two versions of the VR6 engine: one with 12 valves and another with 24 valves. Currently, the U.S. gets the 12-valve VR6, but Europe gets the 24-valve VR6.


Click for more info

Originally posted by IS300GTE:
[qb]euro spec?? please explain this one.
[/QB]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,676 Posts
I personally think the IS300 Auto Sucks basically cause of the really short useless first gear.... If we could maintain it a bit longer we'd get better jumps in to second. it just too lazy for me even during e-shift mode when it shift the 1-2 for you.
oh well... the stick shift will cure this i hope.

I would NOT put it past a VR6 Jetta manual to pull past an auto IS300 off the line... VW are pretty quick in the low end if you ask me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
I have raced my friends 2000 VR6 GLX manual several times. The first couple of times I did it with trac on, normal mode. The results are always the same.. off the line he pulls pretty well, gets his nose past me up in second gear, at the beginning of third I pull hard by a few car lengths. He has a neuspeed intake, stock exhaust and 17'' wheels. When I took Trac off and had Power mode on we pull together evenly until towards the end of second and then I pull away by a few car lengths. Down low they are pretty strong...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input! It looks like I have a tough road ahead of me in terms of choosing between the IS and the Jetta, especially considering the 2002 Jetta will be a six speed manual with 201 hp. I still love the look of the IS the best though
!

Oneeyejack- Lexus of Pleasanton is the one that has two 2002 automatics (one grey and one silver), I believe they got them in last Thurs or Fri. Lexus of Stevens Creek was less then helpful and said that they wouldn't have any 2002's until Aug 15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Those VR6's are FAST. I should know, I used to own a 97 GTI VR6 (actually traded it in for my IS300). It does feel almost the same, speed wise and handling was good only after I modifed the suspension, stock was way to sloppy. With my GTI, I was able to pull 14.7 in the quater mile and this was done with just an aftermarket exhaust (Remus).

But you really can't compare these 2 cars other than the speed factor. The Is300 is much much much better in quality and reliabilty...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top