Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time I test drove a 2002 IS 5-Speed today.. By the way, I was thinking of selling my IS and getting a 2002 5-Speed since I obviously think 5-Speed is quicker and more fun. However, the Auto tranny on the IS is one of the NICEST autos I've ever driven.. VERY tight gearing.. Anyways, lets get to the test drive...

I went to Jim Falk Lexus (where I originally leased my IS) and they had 2 2002's.. a Red Auto and a GGP 5-Speed with the new spoiler (VERY NICE) and the smoked tail lights (also VERY NICE).. so I got in and noticed the NAV system right away.. very sweet.. touch screen and very easy to read.. Interior (full leather) was also nice even though I would stick to the Leather/Ecsaine package... (grips you much better in hard cornering) the front grille looked different.. just ok..

The drive... 1st.. The gear shifter was soooo high up and long! A short shifter is a must have.. I shifted to first and slowly took my foot off of the clutch .. very buttery smooth.. however the gear shifter didnt slide into place you had to work it hard.. Power - wasnt as quick as I thought it would be.. sounds weird but it was like the E-Shift except with the 1st gear access and a clutch.. dont get me wrong, the clutch makes ALL the difference.. however I expected more.. as I shifter to 2nd and 3rd, the car was probably TOO new since it snapped everytime I upshifted as I pushed the clutch down.. (I believe I am a very good 5-Speed driver and my friends have manuals so I drive them all the time.. I havent lost my touch).. anyways it was a quick 10 minute drive..

Bottom line.. I wasnt too impressed..

just my .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove one yesterday ...

Red, spoiler, smoked lights, no nav. Inside, I felt right at home -- I like the new center armrest.

I agree on the short shifter. It looks weird the way the shift lever sticks up; I think the height of the current auto would be fine for the manual. It didn't affect shifting, though.

Overall, I love the transmission. The clutch has just the right amount of travel, and engages in a natural place. I traded in an Audi A4 manual for my IS300, and that clutch had a long travel, and engaged pretty late. BMW's, on the other hand, engage too close to the floor for me -- I'm always surprised by it. The gears spacing is perfect for this drive train, and we'll never need a six-speed.

It isn't worth trading my '01 in for, but it makes the car an even more perfect fit for me.

Also, I've heard the suspension is stiffer, but it wasn't noticable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by BlueMicaIS:
.. so I got in and noticed the NAV system right away.. very sweet.. touch screen and very easy to read..
I didn't think the NAV in the IS was touch screen based... Am I wrong?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
I didn't think the NAV in the IS was touch screen based... Am I wrong?

definately NOT atouchscreen. I have been in three and it is the joystick as advertised. The stick controller is right under the armrest. Don't know what he meant by touchscreen but it is not in the IS300. Probably a stray thought.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did any of you guys happen to get the sticker price? The price of the one with the NAV and full leather and the spoiler?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just drove a GGP 5speed fully loaded w/nav and LSD at Kearny Mesa yesterday. Just the way I want it. All I can say is WOW. It only had 22 miles on it. Being that I'm pretty out of practice on a 5 speed, I really didn't get to test any limits. But I can still say that everything was buttery smooth. From the clutch uptake to the shifting action. I LOVE THIS CAR.

Can't wait to get one in December!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chingker,

Do you know what they were asking for that car. I imagine fully loaded includes leather/heated seats and graphite polished wheels. It would be interesting to see how much they were asking compared to the sticker price.

PS. Was the NAV touch screen? My salesman told me it is the same in the SC430 which is touch screen. I think he is full of s(*t.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by gsr2is300:
Chingker,

Do you know what they were asking for that car. I imagine fully loaded includes leather/heated seats and graphite polished wheels. It would be interesting to see how much they were asking compared to the sticker price.

PS. Was the NAV touch screen? My salesman told me it is the same in the SC430 which is touch screen. I think he is full of s(*t.
Thanks in advance.

Definitey NOT touchscreen. Like aust182 said, you manipulate all input with the joypad thing on the center console near the handbrake. I don't however consider this a drawback because the screen is too far up on the dash to comfortable reach.

Regarding the pricing on the car, I halfhearted tried to haggle as I knew that I would not be purchasing the car until late Nov, early Dec. Also,I knew prior that the Kearny Mesa dealer here in San Diego is very stubborn when it comes to haggling...I didn't expect the salesguy to even budge, all, which he didn't. Sticker was 35,5xx. This was loaded except for graphite wheels which would add another $400.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
Chingker
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing