Lexus IS Forum banner

Terrible rattling noise!!! W55

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jman2729 
#1 ·
Hi everyone new to the forum so not sure if I put this in the right place. Basically I’ve got a manual swapped sportcross with lsd all oem from a sedan. 143k miles about 5 k miles put on my self. Bought the car as is. Yesterday when I shifted into 3rd I started hearing a terrible rattling noise like someone was shaking bolts inside a metal can. Went to work today and aside from 3rd it was fine normal sounds from other gears. However I Left work and pretty much every gear makes the noise now. It’s worst in 3rd gear but the other gears are still very noticeable I suppose 4th and 5th are much more quiet than the rest though.
No power loss from what I can tell. When I’m in neutral at a stop it makes the noise kind of quietly and if I push my shifter up against 3rd gear and the other gears without the clutch pushed in(not actually into gear literally just pushed up against it with the natural play of the shifter) it makes the terrible noise and you can physically feel it almost bouncing off of something. If I push the clutch in noise disappears. I have a weighted shifter but not a short shifter. I read somewhere that it might be the bushing under the shifter going bad? Lost that thread so I can’t do anymore reading on it. Really starting to worry though the sound is unbearable and extremely loud. Sorry if this is too long of a post just wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Doesn't sound good. Fact it's quieter in 4th and 5th isn't a great sign either, because 4th is direct drive where the output shaft is directly coupled to the input shaft - and thus zero load on the countershaft. It's also up high away from the "sump" making it harder for shrapnel to get to it. 5th gear is back behind the midplate and is thus kinda divorced from the rest of the gears where shrapnel wouldn't necessarily get to it, either.

When you press the gear lever up against a gear (clutch engaged), the synchronizer puts a bit of load on that speedgear and I suspect the "bouncing" you're feeling is shrapnel caught between the gears.

I'd drain the trans into a clean container, then filter/inspect the oil. I suspect you'll find some chunks or other obvious metallic debris - confirming the trans is hosed. They're rebuildable but if you need gears, I doubt it's worthwhile.

It surprises me you aren't feeling anything though. I've broken a lot of T5 transmissions (usually 3rd gear), and you most definitely feel a bit of herky-jerkyness to the whole driveline whenever a chunk gets caught between loaded gears.

That's a great looking car by the way!

#5 ·
Yeah that’s what I was hoping you guys wouldn’t say…. Suspected it would be something bad like that but figured maybe since it wasn’t that bad at the other gears till today that maybe it was something dumb like bad linkage or something. I really appreciate the speedy replies and any other insight or help from anyone would be appreciated still. And thanks I’m absolutely in love with the car it’s everything I wanted my old wagon to be but this one has no rust!!!

time to do that cd00a swap I’ve been putting off!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.