Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is normal, doesn't seem like it would be, but my temperature gauge is always at the middle. Whether I've just started it up, or I've been driving it for an hour, its always right in the middle. This leads me to believe something may be wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

G

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
If it does move down when its off your good and if your worried when you get to running temps that its in the middle ....Id be worried if it started moving north (hottier) shortly after starting or after driving for an hour....boom no good

....another note if it doesnt get to spec running temps and stays colder ..its a thermostat or temp sensor and maybe low coolant..

·
Registered
100 Posts
The temperature gauges on most cars now a days are non-linear and will only move above the center point if the engine is overheating. I used to drive a 91 Saab and I could watch the gauge in that car rise to about 3/4 or more and then fall when the fans kicked on. If you watch the gauge on the IS and listen to the fans you'll see that the gauge doesn't move. I wouldn't worry about your gauge at all.

Edit: i just re-read your post. Are you saying that as soon as you start the car the needle in the temp gauge goes directly to the center?

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
If the gauge is at the center on a cold startup then you have a problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.