Lexus IS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
yep, again, final number $36,850 w/ XM included - if you separate them out, then $595 for XM + $36,255.

You paid around what I paid for a used one? When and w/ how many miles? I shouldn't get too many props for my low price considering the end of the year models, recession, etc. It's strange that I bought an '08 new in '09 - I remember when we bought my wife's 2007 Accord new, it was in late September of 2007. It's pretty strange for the '08s to still be lingering around right? I'd like to think that's pretty much why I got it for what I did.

I'm also glad you approve of my color choice. Again, I feel silver's just too common.

Will post pics as soon as I pick up on Friday. Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to learning and contributing to the forums.
Yep...
I paid that much for an '08 with around 5k miles.
I bought it in early/mid August, so the auto industry wasn't as horrible.

Yeah, Smokey Granite Mica is my favorite color.
I'd definitely choose that color again for my next car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yep...
I paid that much for an '08 with around 5k miles.
I bought it in early/mid August, so the auto industry wasn't as horrible.

Yeah, Smokey Granite Mica is my favorite color.
I'd definitely choose that color again for my next car.
Hey AznStrike - you see my post over in the 2009 IS 350 purchase thread on the dealer who I didn't go with who said he would have gone as low as $34,500 w/ XM included for their 2008 IS 350 in Silver/Tungsten w/ Luxury package.

Even though I could have saved $2 grand potentially (considering the spoiler), I still don't feel too bad because it wasn't my preferred color or package. Plus it was a bit older, had about 200 miles on it, and when I had driven it, it had this low tire warning light that was on which made me a little uneasy (she had said it was because of the cold).

btw - I thought cars usually had a break in period where you should go under the speed limit for a certain amount of miles. My dealer said "drive however you want, 'It's a Lexus'".

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Hey AznStrike - you see my post over in the 2009 IS 350 purchase thread on the dealer who I didn't go with who said he would have gone as low as $34,500 w/ XM included for their 2008 IS 350 in Silver/Tungsten w/ Luxury package.

Even though I could have saved $2 grand potentially (considering the spoiler), I still don't feel too bad because it wasn't my preferred color or package. Plus it was a bit older, had about 200 miles on it, and when I had driven it, it had this low tire warning light that was on which made me a little uneasy (she had said it was because of the cold).

btw - I thought cars usually had a break in period where you should go under the speed limit for a certain amount of miles. My dealer said "drive however you want, 'It's a Lexus'".
Dang...
That is pretty crazy...

Yeah, you still got a pretty nice deal.
Hmmm.... Yeah, it could be the cold weather, or it could really be low. I thought my tires had some problems a while back b/c the light came on, but I drove to the dealership to get it checked out. The tires felt firm, and I didn't drive the car recently. In the end, it turned out that the tires just needed some air. :lol:
Gave me a little scare, but they told me the light is nothing to worry about, especially when the weather changes.

Yeah, they do have a break in period. When I got mine, it was already past it, but... I did however, drive it pretty hard one day, and apparently, the owner who owned it before me never really pushed the car that much (if at all).
I'd probably still break it in if I were you b/c why take the chance? Although it is a Lexus and is reliable, it doesn't mean you can't exploit the fact and abuse the car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, they do have a break in period. When I got mine, it was already past it, but... I did however, drive it pretty hard one day, and apparently, the owner who owned it before me never really pushed the car that much (if at all).
I'd probably still break it in if I were you b/c why take the chance? Although it is a Lexus and is reliable, it doesn't mean you can't exploit the fact and abuse the car.
Hmm.. any details on the break-in period. I'd like to be as good to this car as possible. When I test drove this car on the first day I went to the dealer, it had 8 miles on it and I gave it back with 10. I pushed it kind of hard for just a minute though :blush: - but that didn't do anything.. right? Right??!

The car's apparently got 15 miles on it now looking at the paperwork for the odometer reading (I'm picking up the car on Friday so haven't actually looked inside again). I guess someone else came in and drove it too in between when I first drove it and when I came back to buy it. That makes me angry for some reason :pissed:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess this is the place to introduce myself. I just picked up a used 2008 IS350 (Glacier Frost, Nav, 12K miles) as a replacement for my 2005 GTO. I love the handling, ride, and overall quality of the IS. The acceleration is actually pretty close to that of the GTO as well. The only thing I miss about the GTO is the V-8 sound. Anyway - happy to be here and I look forward to learning more about the Lexus.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I guess this is the place to introduce myself. I just picked up a used 2008 IS350 (Glacier Frost, Nav, 12K miles) as a replacement for my 2005 GTO. I love the handling, ride, and overall quality of the IS. The acceleration is actually pretty close to that of the GTO as well. The only thing I miss about the GTO is the V-8 sound. Anyway - happy to be here and I look forward to learning more about the Lexus.
Congrats man and welcome to the boards! :)
Post some pics of your new ride when you have time! ;)

So the 350 is actually pretty close to the GTO?
Hmm... Interesting piece of info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats man and welcome to the boards! :)
Post some pics of your new ride when you have time! ;)

So the 350 is actually pretty close to the GTO?
Hmm... Interesting piece of info!
Relatively close. The GTO has alot of brute force power, but it's hard to get it planted. The rear tires are only 245s and you can't fit wider ones without rolling the fenders. Also the IRS causes a lot of wheel hop when you start out fast from a dig. The book numbers for 0-60 on the GTO are anywhere from 4.6-5.0, but your average driver will probably only manage low 5's. The IS350 is what, 5.2ish? And I've seen some people post 4.9 on this forum. The GTO is a great muscle car, but I was looking for something a little more practical with more "creature comforts." I've had the GTO for four years, so it was time for something new. The 350 handles much better and is just better quality all around (although the GTO does have a very nice interior for a GM).

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My new Girly-Girl

Hello all,

I acquired a CPO '08 IS350 w/ 14k. I didn't get an incredible deal ($32k OTD,) but they gave me a healthy trade for my 16-year-old Civic, and it was worth it not to have to deal with selling that.

It's my first factory-warranted vehicle, and I'm looking forward to the Lexus reputation that it won't be necessary.

Installed options are Nav, Sport Pgk, Parking Assist, and Headlamp Washers.

So far, my girlfriend has had more time to play with the various features (passenger) than I have, but I finally got to drive it a little more spiritedly today and had a lot of fun with that part of the equation.

I'm loving the MP3-CD player and the self-parking power steering column. It really does make a huge difference getting out of the car.

I had been looking at a wide variety of cars (VW GTI, Civic Si, S2000,) and after a couple of days with the IS, I think it's just about the perfect blend. The cabin is as tight as it can be without being uncomfortable, and the ride is as firm as our roads up here will let you get away with.

The drivetrain is very interesting. It makes enough torque way down low that I rarely find myself at wide-open throttle, especially with a passenger. And when I drive a manual, I usually row the first few gears pretty quick to try to up the efficiency. So far, the transmission has done a great job there, at least at light throttle positions. I'm also finding that the coast-braking effect of downshifting that I'm used to with a manual is very easy to replicate with the stick and paddles. I was surprised the one time I got on it all the way to redline (when I had selected 2nd,) and it bounced off the rev limiter! I'll need to work on a smooth approach of getting to WOT and the sliding the shifter back into automatic.

Anyway, it's been a blast so far! Hopefully I'll still have good news in the future!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Hello all,

I acquired a CPO '08 IS350 w/ 14k. I didn't get an incredible deal ($32k OTD,) but they gave me a healthy trade for my 16-year-old Civic, and it was worth it not to have to deal with selling that.

It's my first factory-warranted vehicle, and I'm looking forward to the Lexus reputation that it won't be necessary.

Installed options are Nav, Sport Pgk, Parking Assist, and Headlamp Washers.

So far, my girlfriend has had more time to play with the various features (passenger) than I have, but I finally got to drive it a little more spiritedly today and had a lot of fun with that part of the equation.

I'm loving the MP3-CD player and the self-parking power steering column. It really does make a huge difference getting out of the car.

I had been looking at a wide variety of cars (VW GTI, Civic Si, S2000,) and after a couple of days with the IS, I think it's just about the perfect blend. The cabin is as tight as it can be without being uncomfortable, and the ride is as firm as our roads up here will let you get away with.

The drivetrain is very interesting. It makes enough torque way down low that I rarely find myself at wide-open throttle, especially with a passenger. And when I drive a manual, I usually row the first few gears pretty quick to try to up the efficiency. So far, the transmission has done a great job there, at least at light throttle positions. I'm also finding that the coast-braking effect of downshifting that I'm used to with a manual is very easy to replicate with the stick and paddles. I was surprised the one time I got on it all the way to redline (when I had selected 2nd,) and it bounced off the rev limiter! I'll need to work on a smooth approach of getting to WOT and the sliding the shifter back into automatic.

Anyway, it's been a blast so far! Hopefully I'll still have good news in the future!

Congrats on the car!

Just to save you some wasted time with the paddle shifters- they're not really shifters.

The car doesn't offer any direct control over shifting whatsoever, no matter what it appears like.

The feature is actually just a top gear limiter (that defaults to 4).

When you move the stick over to S mode that little 4 appears... at that point you still have a fully automatic transmission, but with only 4 forward gears available.

"shift" down to 3 and you still have a fully automatic transmission but with only 3 gears for the transmission computer to pick from.

You can vaguely simulate the feel (but not function) of a manual at WOT by putting it down to 1 at a stop, then adding 1 gear to the available range each time you approach redline... but you'll end up accelerating a LOT slower than if you'd just left it in drive and let the computer take care of all your shifting.

For said WOT launch by the way, leave the transmission ECT switch in normal mode, it's faster.

Lastly, don't use downshift/engine braking to slow the car in normal driving. Brakes are a LOT cheaper to replace than transmissions.

It's useful if you're driving down a mountain and need to preserve the brakes to avoid fade, but there's no good reason to do it in normal driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on the car!

Just to save you some wasted time with the paddle shifters- they're not really shifters.
I guess I disagree, to about the same degree bartkat seems to.

If I slip the shifter sideways and tap it down twice, I'm going to get 2nd gear as long as it's safe to. That's direct control in my mind. I know I can't force an upshift. But in Normal mode it shifts where I would anyway, so I'm happy with the way it's programmed.

As to wear and tear - I bought the car to drive it and have it be fun. Yes, of course asking the transmission to shift more is going to put more wear on the clutches and bands. But only during the physical shift. Once it's in gear, the only "wear" is heating of the torque converter. And besides, it's a freaking Toyota! If my old '90 Honda Accord survived me slipping it between D4 and D3 for over 200k miles without a single slip, then I think this one will do the trick just fine.

Anyway, enough OT for this thread.

Suffice it to say - I'm very happy with the overall driving experience. I can drive it like I drove my Civic and get the exact same excitement setting up for a corner. That's all I need to be happy with this car for a very long time!

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
For said WOT launch by the way, leave the transmission ECT switch in normal mode, it's faster.
There was some discussion about this in the 1/4 mile threads. Some have achieved a better 1/4 mile with it off. But no one has actually measured speeds with ect on/off in say 1/8 mile runs etc? It's true that throttle response IS more aggressive with ECT on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just ordered a 2009 IS350 Tungsten Pearl on black w/
sport package, Nav, ML, IPOD, Headlamp Washers, Parking Assistant, Spoiler, Accessories kit, and illuminated door sills for $42,000

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 Crystal White beige interior
Mark Levinson

Just bought it a couple of days ago...seems to have every option. Traded my beloved FJ Cruiser to get this for my wife. So far I am blown away by the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
New to the site. Anyway, my dad got a new 2008 Z51 Vette and the lease on the IS was up.I was currently driving an Altima, which was great when gas was nuts. I bought the IS, and it had around 13k miles on it. The car is a 2006 IS 350, matador red, with black interior and has the sports package. Unfortunately, my dad when he leased decided not to get the NAV system, so I bought a Navigon GPS, works pretty well. I decided to go one step further with the car. I added HID Xenon to the car, put in an Injen air intake and took the factory exhaust off and put on a Borla cat back free flow exhaust on it. The car is absolutely incredible and I am very satisfied with Lexus.

Hope everyone is doing great and everyone use your car in good health :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just picked up an 06 IS350 with the sport package, navigation, ML, in Glacier/Black, with 23k miles. The car is very nice with alot of unexpected features. I also have an 08 G37S 6MT with nav in Obsidian/Graphite. Thanks for the welcome, I've wanted an IS350 since I signed up!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
its a week old......

just got an 08 is 350 a week ago. she has a smokey granite mica exterior with a beige interior. also i had to go with the dark brown birds eye maple wood grain as compared to the grey. its loaded with the exception of the ML surround system...which i didnt find to be that much of an upgrade...still have the nav and voice activation...(still working on the commands though). i compared it to 335xi, 535xi, g35xS, g37S and realized no one has this car....even though the is250's are a dime a dozen....the infiniti's looked to much like a wannabe luxury with an old school nav...and everyone and their moms have a 3 series....and the 5 series was just a little to low tech for me....so i decided on the 350 and it was the best decision i have ever made....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased an IS350, Tungsten Pearl with the Premium package. It's a sweet ride. I sold an EVO VIII to get my first Lexus. It was well worth it.

241 - 260 of 332 Posts